mtbr member
    Oct 2010

Resorting to a trainer on an SS

Holed up in a snowstorm and considering my options for keeping fitness over what is projected to be a snowy winter. Anybody riding their SS on a trainer? Not looking to spend a ton but there are some Mag trainers with adjustable resistance for under 200 (tacx blue specifically). Options are use the kona unit or surly steamroller, would get a dedicated trainer tire. The Unit is more comfortable and upright so I'm leaning towards that and keeping the steamroller outside ready if a sunny day road ride pops up.

Other options include: getting fat and strong at the bouldering gym all winter, buying xc skis and actually enjoying winter but probably not really doing it that often, yoga, kettle bell workouts. Not considering a fat bike.

Goals include a 100 mile gravel grinder in may so I'm thinking time on the bike is going to be necessary through the winter.

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    I've got an old Tacx Bushido on its way to find out this very thing.

mtbr member
    I'd grab a second super cheap wheel with a cassette, and a second chain or chain tensioner. No need to mess around with your good wheel, changing cogs, swapping tires. Just grab the second wheel and throw it on. My experience with trainers is you always end up running at a higher wheel RPM to get a workout than you do on a trail. Single speed will have a hard time dealing with this.
    "a hundred travel books isn't worth one real trip"

mtbr member
    I use an old set of rollers I got on Craigslist that have variable resistance. Works great for my purposes.

mtbr member
    I'd look for a cheap geared road bike at a pawn shop, walmart, or on craigslist. Should be able to find something decent for not much more than you'd spend on a trainer tire, tube, and small cog for your SS.

I recently did this and also got a cycelops powerbeam pro. I was amazed at the amount of resistance available. It's able to simulate grinding up a steep hill on a SS.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    i'd rather run than ride a trainer... hell, i'd think i'd rather be trapped with my 3 screaming kids in a car during rush hour than ride a trainer... i never understood how bad it could be until i broke my collarbone and was forced to try to use one for a couple months.

for those who can actually use a trainer enough to get some training out of it... anything is possible; you are stronger willed than i will ever be!

IMHO riding a singelspeed is easy... riding a trainer without going bonkers; that is tough.

sorry to take this long to come to my point BUT i'd highly suggest trying one before you buy one. i could never justify the cost. i'd take up ANY winter hobby before i would spend time on one of those torture devices (luckily, round here, winter never shuts down the riding for months at a time).

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by max-a-mill View Post
    i'd rather run than ride a trainer...
    Believe me, so would I...a million times over. But alas I've been down the running road (or road running) and it has brought me to grief and injury...even running 80% on trails which is supposed to prevent injury. Running long distances on mountain trails still stirs me deeply but I've crossed it off the list for the time being.

XC skiing looks to be my most viable option for outdoor fitness at the moment, but the trainers are cheaper and would probably get used more often and involve less sweaty damp layers of clothing.

Edited to add: I used to zone out for hour long sessions on the stair stepper at the gym so I think with the right music an hour on the trainer would be tolerable to my sanity.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    XC ski's are a blast and you can ski any old corn field/grass lot and have a blast. It is a great workout. It took me a very long time to embrace the idea and I missed out on a lot of great skiing as a result. Unfortunately, we have had zero no in the Mid Atlantic region thus far.
    Thanks to www.weavercycleworks.com for my awesome bike frames!

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    Go take a spin class. At least there is a possibility of seeing some "scenery" there . Riding a trainer at home in your cold dark basement is a sad sad thing. Plus it wears out your bike like crazy.

I have been doing spin classes and I like them for "singlespeed training" because you stand up and pedal quite a bit.

I hear ya, I hate snow and I got a new SS bike for Christmas that I haven't even been able to ride yet!!!!!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    A spin class is great if you don't mind being in an overheated small room with a bunch of other crazy people all of whom look soooooooo serious. There is usually some dude running the thing who has more energy than a bunny and talks very fast. Of course that might just be my experience :-)
    An indoor trainer is great with the right music if you keep the sessions to around an hour.
    An object in possession seldom retains the same charm that it had in pursuit. Pliny the Younger (62 AD - 114 AD)

Brian

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Would like to stay away from another gym...already have a membership to a bouldering gym that has a decent variety of free weights, kettle bells, and stretch bands to meet strength training needs. Would love if they put a few cardio machines in since they do seem to have the space.

Cabin fever forced me out for a run with microspikes this afternoon and the old nagging injuries stayed away for the time being. Had some time to think about it and realize that I need to get outside to exercise so if I can run again I'll give it a shot again or I'll get some xc skis. The trainer will have to wait.

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    The people in spin class that wear a full spandex race kit give you something to laugh about. I think it would be funny to show up in full MTB garb, loud Fox Jersey, padded shorts, camelback and gloves....then pick a bike right next to one of the spandex guys

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Go out and XC ski. If we had consistent snow here I wouldn't touch my bikes in winter. As it is I love to ride in the cold because it reminds me of XC Skiing.

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by TG-CO View Post
    The people in spin class that wear a full spandex race kit give you something to laugh about. I think it would be funny to show up in full MTB garb, loud Fox Jersey, padded shorts, camelback and gloves....then pick a bike right next to one of the spandex guys
    For some of us, full spandex IS mtb garb.

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    My TacX Bushido arrived today. Tried it with the single speed CX bike.
    Shit that was hard!
    Oh, what's this little knob down here. Ahh, it reduces the pressure of the roller on the tyre.
    Oh yeah! That feels less like death and closer to actual riding!