Reports from races done with your SS- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Listen! Reports from races done with your SS

I've searched but couldn't find a thread where SSers can post their reports from races. I finished an enteresting race last sunday so wanted to report about it.

So SSers, your reports are welcomed!

mtbr member
    Finished building my salsa el mariachi rigid SS recently and was enterested in taking part at the most enteresting and technical local XC race.

My ss setup:
    2012 el mariachi M frame
    salsa rigid fork
    easton haven 29er wheels
    magura marta brakes with 180/160 mm rotors
    syntace P6 alu post, syntace F139 stem, syntace vector lowrider alu bars
    schwalbe nobby nic 29x2,25 set up tubeless
    truvativ stylo oct crankset
    32/18 gearing
    XTR pedals

The course:
    the most technical local course
    4 miniDH descends on a lap
    no flats
    steep and very steep climbs
    roots, logs, no rocks
    distance for my category (beginners) - 11 km - 3 laps (1 lap = 3,66 km)

Weather:
    two days of never ending rain before the race
    no rain and sunny weather during the race

So let's get started. At first it is usefull to say that I'm the only person who rides SS XC bike where I live. So there's no any SS category in the local races. Most people before the race thought that I'm crazy to use such bike on that course.
    So the race started and the mass of racers flew from the start to the singletrack - I was somewhere in the middle of the group. It was very muddy and slippery on the course. Several riders fell down just in front of me so the group splitted in parts and the leaders moved further from me. When we reached the first serious climb (the part of the climb was an uphill on the mini DH course) I saw that everybody where pushing their bikes. For me it was really impossible to clear the steep sections on my gear in that conditions - so I was running the hills. When we reached the downhill section 2 more riders fell down in front of me. After the downhill was the next long climb where it really bacame hard for me and I decided not to punish myself and my knees, so I pushed again.

So all the race for me was walking the very steep climbs (and even walking them was really hard) climbing less steep sections and riding downhill (which was tachnical and really extreme).
    There were only 3 people near me after the 1,5 laps. They were faster on the uphills (but they also were walking up the steep climbs) but I reached them after each downhill. Nobby Nics performed better than I expected and the whole bike handled the course perfectly. Some riders were walking not only on the uphills but also on downhills. At least I didn't walk the downhills, though had to unclip several times. I walked up the hills and it was very muddy - so there were much mud on the soles of my shoes, but I could clip in the pedals every time with some effort - I liked that.

It become really hard after the 2nd lap. The climbs semmed to be endless and I was always wishing for the downhill sections to begin sooner. That was tachnical, but I could take some rest. I was amazed when on one of the climbs I (walking) reached 2 of those 3 guys who were standing. I asked if everything was okay with them and they unswered that they are just tyred so I passed them. I reached the 3rd guy after the downhill and passed him up the hill which I was able to mash. I was really tired on the finish. I was walking up the hills due to the lack of fitness and hard gearing. But I did everything I could.

After the race peaple said that 3 guys had clogged their rear derailers with mud and grass and broken them (one of them was sram XX)! At first I didn't know what was my place but yesterday they published the results on our local site that was a surprise! There were 15 guys in my category - only 8 of them cleared all the distance and I was on the 4th place! Those were good news for me.

mtbr member
    Some pictures:

mtbr member
    Great story and pics!

mtbr member
    Good job!

Sounds like you picked the right bike for that course and those conditions. Keep it up!

Dirty South Underdog
    You can click the link in my sig to see reports on my blog. They aren't all SS, but there's a god mix.
    Brickhouse Blog (most known unknown)

Just Riding Along- best internet radio show on Mountain Bike Radio

mtbr member
    Pictures of the course:

mtbr member
    So far I've done two races with my SS.

The first race was 32 miles and I was severely over geared for the 8k of climbing (32x17). I finished but it was one of the hardest events of my life (coming from a collegiate rower). If I do that race again I will be geared 32x20 or maybe 21.

The second race was 28 miles and I left my riding shoes at home on accident. Luckily I had flats and ended up racing in my Chaco sandals. I finished and haven't forgotten my riding shoes for any ride since. That race also had a constant wind raging the entire day, around 25 mph. It was so bad. It would push you up a climb and then you'd hit a switchback, make the turn, and run into a wind wall, all momentum killed.

mtbr member
    One more pic:

web-footed pedaler
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Igoreha View Post
    I've searched but couldn't find a thread where SSers can post their reports from races. I finished an enteresting race last sunday so wanted to report about it.

So SSers, your reports are welcomed!
    Plenty on my blog. SS only.
    Single-Speed Slogging

Members who have read this thread: 0