Replacing an EBB- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Replacing an EBB

Alright fellas I have gone crazy on my $250 Zion EBB frame and have started replacing all of the cheap "let me try out this 29er thing" parts. So one of the first things I am doing is replacing the EBB. I got a Carver expandable EBB to replace the old set screw one.

Soooo my question is, first, has anyone done this kind of EBB replacment? Dosen't need to be in a Zion specifically.

And second if you did do this kind of replacment did you just leave the screws out? did you replace them with anything? Is it even a good idea to leave the screws out on a steel frame?

Thanks for anyhelp you fellas can give me

ali'i hua
    one piece of advice: be VERY careful with the carver EBB bolt- the 4mm (might be fractional- a american/fraction hex fits better than a 4mm in mine...) bolt is soft. if Davis @ carver shipped you the EBB with the 5mm bolt, you're good to go.

as for extracting the old EBB, some sort of penetrating lube helps and a rubber mallet and wood block helps to get the old one out.

(I'm sure i'll get lots of flack for the mallet method)

as for the pinch bolts, just trim down the old ones, loctite them and reinstall....permanently. for the trim-down, find a nut that threads onto it first so that you can re-chase the threads. (not sure how handy you are- sorry)

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I think i will try out the phil woods ebb.

Anyone tried on a zion?

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    here you got a nice ebb change on a zion.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=351221

mtbr member
    I saw that post on the Zion forum but I think that guy is using the stock EBB with the set screws. The Phil EBB was just a bit out of the range I wanted to spend on this bike but Lord knows if I had no limits I would have gone with it or the Bushnell one.

It was my experience when putting teh bike together the first time that the EBB just kind of came right out, are you saying that now it will be stuck and I need to take a mallet to it?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by calfkiller
    It was my experience when putting teh bike together the first time that the EBB just kind of came right out, are you saying that now it will be stuck and I need to take a mallet to it?
    The original set screw EBB of the Zion should come right out...assuming the set screws are loose. Sometimes expanding/wedge fit EBBs get stuck in the frame and need some presuasion to break loose.

mtbr member
    OK, Just got an e-mail back from Mr. Carver and he said that they did get a batch of bad bolts a while back but they have been replaced and that any EBB sent out within the last year has the new bolt in them. That is good news to me, I was a little worried. here is exactly what he said about it:

"We did have a bad run of bolts about a year ago. We sent out replacement bolts, but every now and then, one will pop up.

Any EBB shipped within the last year will have the new bolt. You can tell them apart by the color. The allen bolt end will be discolored, compared to the rest of the bolt.."

Members who have read this thread: 0