replacing cartridge bearings on paul hubs- Mtbr.com
    don't try this at home

replacing cartridge bearings on paul hubs

so i'm overhauling my bike and looking to replace the cartridge bearings on my paul fhub/word hubs. they've been in there about 10 years and are pretty crunchy. questions are: how do i remove the cartridge bearings? and how do i install the new ones? exactly what kind of tool(s) do i need?
    will you rep me?

mtbr member
    Moschika,

I'm in the same boat, need new bearing on my rear hub, front is pretty smooth still. I searched Paul's website but only saw install directions for the hubs, no bearing replacement info. Have you tried to contact Paul via email/phone?

I bet Shiggy would know how to do this as I think he use to run Pauls.

Shig, ya out there?

MC
    "When the end of the world comes, I want to be in Cincinnati because it's always 20 years behind the times." Twain

don't try this at home
    it looks like you need some type of puller and/or press. it doesn't look like the sort of tool you find at the LBS and buy for home.

here's what i've found:
    http://www.biketoolsetc.com/index.cg...item_id=BR-BEP

http://www.biketoolsetc.com/index.cg...em_id=UB-TA340

http://www.biketoolsetc.com/index.cg...&item_id=CV-28

so these seem to pull them, but what about pressing them? just tap in with with rubber mallet?

i x-posted in tooltime, so we'll see what comes up.
    will you rep me?

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    They should pop right out. Tape them from the backside. They should tap right in as well. That or use a long bolt (or an axle) with big washers on it and tighten it down and let it press the bearings in.

mtbr member
    I did what Schmucker is referring to. I just used a punch that was long enough to reach the backside of the bearing (could be a screwdriver). Then tap it out a little at a time as your rotate around the bearing. Once the first one is out, then use a socket or something.

I just pressed them in with a ball ping hammer, tap lightly as you go around.

Also, I'd seriously think about using Phil Wood bearings if you can. They lasted much, much, much longer. Actually the only reason I don't have them anymore is that bike got stolen.

-Derek

organically fed
    I'd just roll up to Chico, ask Paul for a demonstration, and then hit up some of the best mountain biking on earth.

And then grab a phat recovery meal at Speedy Burrito.

@adelorenzo
    Here is a good DIY bearing replacement tutorial with minimal tools.

mtbr member
    Thanks. I thought they should pop out as well, but haven't tried yet. Need to order bearings!
    "When the end of the world comes, I want to be in Cincinnati because it's always 20 years behind the times." Twain

don't try this at home
    Thanks for the tips. I'll try that out and see if they just pop out with a few taps.
    will you rep me?

Members who have read this thread: 0