Replacement SS ring for a standard crank set.- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mtbcyclist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    322

    Replacement SS ring for a standard crank set.

    Got an old Trek 7000 converted single speed that I really like so I see no need in buying a new SS ride and spending a bunch of cash-olla. That being said I have an old Shimano STX RC crankset which I think has a 5 bolt pattern on it. Was looking to get a new SS specific ring for it. I seem to remember that you can find SS rings somewhere on the web if you know the diameter of the bolt circle and the bolt pattern. Anybody got the info on this? Anybody ever do this? Any help would be appreciated.

  2. #2
    No Justice = No Peace
    Reputation: Lutarious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    1,512

    Easy`

    Bikeman.Com are super helpful, knowlegable, cool guys clued in on the SSS Scene.

    Also webcyclery seems good.

    Blackspire, surly, salsa all mke good strong rings. Go for the 1/8 in. and a good chain - KMB (?) rustbuster is killer strong and cheap.

    Ride it
    "Welcome to my underground lair...."

  3. #3
    Rollin' a fatty Moderator
    Reputation: DiRt DeViL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    5,849
    Get a Salsa ring, strong and cheap. Give Mean Todd a ring at Webcyclery.

  4. #4
    Nat
    Nat is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Nat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    13,425
    Quote Originally Posted by DiRt DeViL
    Get a Salsa ring, strong and cheap. Give Mean Todd a ring at Webcyclery.
    Here's the link:
    http://www.webcyclery.com/product.ph...cat=406&page=1

  5. #5
    Ex-Gunslinger
    Reputation: Laika's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    180
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbcyclist
    .....I have an old Shimano STX RC crankset which I think has a 5 bolt pattern on it. Was looking to get a new SS specific ring for it. I seem to remember that you can find SS rings somewhere on the web if you know the diameter of the bolt circle and the bolt pattern. Anybody got the info on this? Anybody ever do this? Any help would be appreciated.
    I had the same thoughts a few days ago... I also have a STX RC crankset that I thought might work well for a budget SS. According to Sheldon Brown's web site measure the ring bolts ctr to ctr and times by 1.7 to get your BCD for a 5 bolt set (times by 1.4 for 4 bolt). My STX was about 55mm so its a 94 BCD. I did a little looking and Speedgoat.com has nice looking stainless Surly SS rings in various sizes for $35. The price looked good but then I'm on the other side of the globe and most of the US prices look good

    EDIT: I just missed Nat's post, the Salsa ring is cheaper again...nice.

  6. #6
    The man who fell to earth
    Reputation: Ziggy-Stardust's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    335
    Check the link below for a good selection of rings at decent prices. The salsa rings are good, but they won't last as long as a Surly steel ring or a beefier Alum downhill ring like a Blackspire. There was a post a few weeks ago about an stx-rc crank and I think the size was determined to be 94mm BCD, but I'm not sure about that (do a search and find the post for more info). Just break out a ruler and measure the bolt circle diameter (BCD) directly and order the right one. Also, get some stubby chainring bolts from the same site while you're at it. Good luck.

    http://aebike.com/site/page.cfm?Page...and=359&type=T

    Quote Originally Posted by mtbcyclist
    Was looking to get a new SS specific ring for it. I seem to remember that you can find SS rings somewhere on the web if you know the diameter of the bolt circle and the bolt pattern. Anybody got the info on this? Anybody ever do this? Any help would be appreciated.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mtbcyclist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    322
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy-Stardust
    Thanks for the feeback. Has anybody done business with the guys in the above link? Will proably order a 34 from them. I like the steel, but I don't like the cost. Trying to keep my bike retro and anti-bling.

  8. #8
    On MTBR hiatus :(
    Reputation: Speedub.Nate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    9,120
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbcyclist
    Has anybody done business with the guys in the above link?
    aebike is good. I've used them a handful of times over the past few years for orders big and small. They get their orders in pretty quickly from QBP and have, by far, some of the best online prices for your day-to-day bike parts.

    Just ordered the Surly SS ring for my current project. I've used Blackspire and Salsa rings in the past and while the Blackspire DH are fat and long lasting, I can't say I've been unhappy with the less costly Salsa
    speedub.nate
    MTBR Hiatus UFN

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    72
    Do a search around here for posts regarding the STX-RC crank. I remember someone getting a nasty surprise when trying to use a specific model year of that crank. Basically, the big ring bolted to the crank and the middle ring bolted to the big ring. It was not easily useable for singlespeed duty. Just a heads up.

    Thumbs up for AEBike. My only problem is that I live in Michigan and have to pay sales tax. DOH!

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: disco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    120
    Quote Originally Posted by ccwenk
    Do a search around here for posts regarding the STX-RC crank. I remember someone getting a nasty surprise when trying to use a specific model year of that crank. Basically, the big ring bolted to the crank and the middle ring bolted to the big ring. It was not easily useable for singlespeed duty. Just a heads up.

    Thumbs up for AEBike. My only problem is that I live in Michigan and have to pay sales tax. DOH!
    yup, that was me. It's not the same for all Shimano STX cranks, as a matter of fact the STX RC might actually have a regular spider. But what you want to do is undo the bolts to the big (outer) ring and see if it attatches to the spider itself, or to the middle ring. If it is the latter, like the one I had, your S.O.L. b/c the middle ring then attatches to the granny making it impossible to run just one ring up front. If you don't care about aesthetics, you could run it anyway just be forewarned it probably won't work well with the ramped/profiled teeth.

    If it attatches to the spider, then just figure out your BCD and buy yourself a SS chainring and go crazy
    Attached Images Attached Images

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    186
    just use the middle chainring that is already there.
    "I've never been better .... nor cared less!"

  12. #12
    you go ahead
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    709
    Quote Originally Posted by porkchop
    just use the middle chainring that is already there.
    Do you do this?
    Don't the ramps and pins or whatever make it impossible?

    I just got a Shimano Deore crankset, and didn't know whether to buy a SS chainring or not (I bought an 8 speed chain though). The middle rind looks flimsy too

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    114

    Good job! Salsa ring here! Silver Salsa 36T needs a home!

    Quote Originally Posted by mtbcyclist
    Got an old Trek 7000 converted single speed that I really like so I see no need in buying a new SS ride and spending a bunch of cash-olla. That being said I have an old Shimano STX RC crankset which I think has a 5 bolt pattern on it. Was looking to get a new SS specific ring for it. I seem to remember that you can find SS rings somewhere on the web if you know the diameter of the bolt circle and the bolt pattern. Anybody got the info on this? Anybody ever do this? Any help would be appreciated.

    hey, if you're interested - drop me an e-mail...
    I've got a silver 36T Salsa standard (5-bolt) SS ring available.
    it was used for less than 30 miles before I switched cranks and was forced
    to use a 4-bolt pattern ring.
    EL_MATADOR

  14. #14
    On MTBR hiatus :(
    Reputation: Speedub.Nate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    9,120
    Quote Originally Posted by RustyBearings
    Do you do this?
    Don't the ramps and pins or whatever make it impossible?
    The ramps and pins have no effect on a singlespeed drivetrain, but the profiled teeth are more prone to derailling the chain. I think you have a steel ring on the STX-RC, and if so wear wouldn't be an issue, but with Shimano's aluminum rings you'll get a pretty short lifespan.
    speedub.nate
    MTBR Hiatus UFN

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mtbcyclist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    322
    Thanks for the info. I will pass on the 36 tooth. If it were a 34 tooth we may have to talk. I like the gear ratio I have now plus I don't need a tensioner with it which is a bonus cause tensioner suck.

    For what its worth I am running just the middle stock ring with my STX RC crank set currently and the setup and alignment works great minus the worn ring. No you don't need a new ring as speeddub.nate infered BUT my chain has derailed once and ever so often it makes this loud pop and I can feel it trying to derail due to a worn chain ring and ramped teeth. Figured a new salsa ring would do the trick or heck I may go steel and splurge!

    -EDIT-

    Just went and looked at the bike. Doh!! Sucks to be me as my cranks look just like the picture. I measure the BDC circle and got 1.25" from bolt to the center of the crank. Double that and conver it and yikes you get 63.5 mm. Just got love the tards over at shimano! What in holy he11 were they thinkning?

    Looks like the only alternative is to scrap the current cranks and buy new or find some used ones somewhere.
    Last edited by mtbcyclist; 06-28-2005 at 06:32 PM.

  16. #16
    On MTBR hiatus :(
    Reputation: Speedub.Nate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    9,120
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbcyclist
    I measure the BDC circle and got 1.25" from bolt to the center of the crank. Double that and conver it and yikes you get 63.5 mm.
    That sounds like your granny's BCD -- usually 64mm for a 4-arm compact and 58mm for a 5-arm compact, which are right at the minimum tooth counts for 22T and 20T chainrings. There's no way your crankset could be so funky that those number corresponds to your middle & outer rings.
    speedub.nate
    MTBR Hiatus UFN

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: disco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    120
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedub.Nate
    That sounds like your granny's BCD -- usually 64mm for a 4-arm compact and 58mm for a 5-arm compact, which are right at the minimum tooth counts for 22T and 20T chainrings. There's no way your crankset could be so funky that those number corresponds to your middle & outer rings.
    take a closer look at the picture above

  18. #18
    On MTBR hiatus :(
    Reputation: Speedub.Nate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    9,120
    Quote Originally Posted by disco
    take a closer look at the picture above
    Holy Moly my blurry eyes deceived me last night -- Ok, <u>that</u> is a <i>FUNKY</i> crankset!
    speedub.nate
    MTBR Hiatus UFN

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    186
    Quote Originally Posted by RustyBearings
    Do you do this?
    Don't the ramps and pins or whatever make it impossible?
    I did it for almost 2 years and never derailed the chain in the front. I lost the chain off of the back a few times due to low tension. If your chainline is close you will have no problem. The chain is no more likely to come off of a ramped ring than an unramped ring. I would only recommend a new chainring if your old one is badly worn or bent.
    BTW the 8 spd chain won't give you any problems.
    Last edited by porkchop; 06-29-2005 at 11:01 AM.
    "I've never been better .... nor cared less!"

Similar Threads

  1. Greasing bottom bracket spindle?
    By Belfrey in forum Tooltime
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 07-24-2005, 11:09 PM
  2. Do I have to just live with this?
    By SoloWithOthers in forum Singlespeed
    Replies: 73
    Last Post: 04-27-2005, 09:11 PM
  3. What's the white goop on my bb spindle?
    By Spoiler in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 02-19-2004, 11:16 AM

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.