Rennen Tensioners- Mtbr.com
    Only dead people are old

Rennen Tensioners

So how good are the Rennen tensioners? I am thinking of converting a grearie into a SS using a tensioner. I want a tensioner that will give me a real good idea of how good a SS can be (i.e. I don't want to start by have problems with equipement). If all goes well I may race SS this year since the gearie races are becoming too stuffy. So any feedback?

mtbr member

I don't run one ...

But I'm a nosey bastard, so I'll reply anyways ...

Everything I've ever heard about them is good. I'd say go for it. If my frame didn't have horizontal dropouts, I'd get one before any other tensioner. They just seem to make more sense than a spring based tensioner for most applications ...

thats Mr.Dirtbag to you

I run one, AND I'm a nosy bastard!

Quote Originally Posted by Super E
    So how good are the Rennen tensioners? I am thinking of converting a grearie into a SS using a tensioner. I want a tensioner that will give me a real good idea of how good a SS can be (i.e. I don't want to start by have problems with equipement). If all goes well I may race SS this year since the gearie races are becoming too stuffy. So any feedback?
    I've had one for about a year now. I feel I can safely say it is the best tensioner out there. It's quiet, rock solid and since it doesn't use springs, nearly foolproof. If you use a tensioner, this is the one to have.

But that is just my opinion, I could be wrong.
    "You know, the novelty kind of wears off after the first few times..."

Just Ride!
    The jury is still out for me. In the past I have been running the latest style Singleator which I had modified to bolt down solid. The only downside was that on super hard climbs, the torque would actually push the tensioner down which obviously did not spring back up since it was bolted solid.

This past week I installed a Rollenlager, because the mounting looked really strong. I took it on a 2 hour trial run Saturday and it ran dead silent except for on hard climbs that had turns which would flex the rear stays, there was an occasional clunk from the rear. I stopped once to tighten the chain more, but this did not seem to help. I would have made more adjustments, but the wind chill was at zero!

One other note, the website states that all fasteners are stainless, which simply is not the case. The pivot system shows a stud in the hanger and secured by a flange nut, but it was shipped with a simple but heavy zinc plated steel bolt. The only explanation received was that the website was outdated..........

At this point I am starting to think that the money spent on both tensioners should have been invested in an Eno, but I will re-evaluate on the next ride.

mtbr member
    Rennen = good.

Only dead people are old
    Thanks for all the input. It's just what I wanted to hear - the good, not-so-good, and honest opinions from a nosey bastard, awesome! I thought the Rennen looked well designed and will probably go with one if I decide to convert to SS.

The name's Norm...

Just got mine delivered yesterday....

and it's going on my GT SS today!! No spring and BEEFY.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

sorry to hijack the thread but

but how hard is it to change the rear tire with the Rollenlager in place?

What day are we riding?
    My Rollenlager has been great. I had lots of problems with the other ones, including broken derailuer hangers. With the Rollenlager the quick release goes through the tensioner to help relieve stress on the hanger.

Only dead people are old
    Quote Originally Posted by kellyinNY
    but how hard is it to change the rear tire with the Rollenlager in place?
    Not a hijack at all, but a good question that I would also like to hear about. Anyone got an answer for this? The Rennen Rollenlager looks like it would allow the chain to loosen and the wheel to slip out once the axle (QR or what ever) was removed. Is this right?

The name's Norm...

Right!

Quote Originally Posted by Super E
    Not a hijack at all, but a good question that I would also like to hear about. Anyone got an answer for this? The Rennen Rollenlager looks like it would allow the chain to loosen and the wheel to slip out once the axle (QR or what ever) was removed. Is this right?
    The QR/axle hole is pretty much a pivot point of the tensioner. The adjustment bolt is screwed into the hanger itself. All you do it loosen the tension and remove the QR!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Just Ride!
    Quote Originally Posted by maSSpayne
    All you do it loosen the tension and remove the QR!
    So do you carry a 17mm wrench in your pack, or..........

The name's Norm...

Yup.......

Quote Originally Posted by kustomz
    So do you carry a 17mm wrench in your pack, or..........
    Modified, of course!!! Box end with only 2 inches of lever!!!

And He was Not

How About...

Can you change the 17mm bolt to a Allen head type? Or is it a special Bolt?

The name's Norm...
    Quote Originally Posted by Enoch
    Can you change the 17mm bolt to a Allen head type? Or is it a special Bolt?
    I guess as long as the Allen bolt has the right thread count, diameter and length. It might stick out a bit more than the current bolt.
    Hmmmm...
    I wonder if you contact Ken @ Rennen and ask him this same question. Maybe they already have them. Just have to pay for it!!!
    sales@rennendesigngroup.com

And He was Not
    I guess as long as the Allen bolt has the right thread count, diameter and length. It might stick out a bit more than the current bolt.
    Hmmmm...
    I wonder if you contact Ken @ Rennen and ask him this same question. Maybe they already have them. Just have to pay for it!!!
    sales@rennendesigngroup.com
    The thread pitch on the Derailer is not as common as most metric bolts are, but if it could be turned into a allen type I think it would be a Plus fpr that type of system

Just Ride!
    10mm x 1.0 x 16 as an allen is not available over the counter.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by kustomz
    10mm x 1.0 x 16 as an allen is not available over the counter.
    Hey guys, it's Ken over at Rennen... I'll be changing my screen name to Ken@Rennen for future reference.

kustomZ was right... Bingo! The Allen head bolt is near impossible to find for the fine thread count. The proto pics we have on the site are actually a US thread bolt that we played with, using a machined nut on the back, just to try the concept.

The best bet is to use the current "outside-in" method, as clearance became in issue inboard of the drop-out.

The only time you'd to remove that bolt (after set-up) is if you are using a bolt-on hub.

As for rear wheel removal, basically, just take the Q/R skewer out, and the wheel should just drop down enough to derail the chain.

Hope that helps.

Email me with any questions you have.... ken@RennenDesignGroup.com
    Rollenlagers are IN!!

Check it out at www.RennenDesignGroup.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockin
    My Rollenlager has been great. I had lots of problems with the other ones, including broken derailuer hangers. With the Rollenlager the quick release goes through the tensioner to help relieve stress on the hanger.
    Thanks for the positive feedback.

This is Ken again... with my new screen name.

Contact me if you need to.

Thanks guys!
    RennenDesignGroup.com
    How 1x1 is DONE.

mtbr member

I would imagine ...

You could find a compatible bolt with a 15mm head ... then you could use a Surly Jethro Tule or something equivalent ... perhaps more convenient than a box wrench ( )

Word.

DOH!
    Works flawlessly, and it's very, very well made. The guys at Rennen are also top-notch. What more can you ask for??

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SprungShoulders
    Works flawlessly, and it's very, very well made. The guys at Rennen are also top-notch. What more can you ask for??
    Aww shucks...

Hey, look for your bike on our new site.. we should be launching it tomorrow or so.

Thanks man!
    RennenDesignGroup.com
    How 1x1 is DONE.

The name's Norm...
    Quote Originally Posted by kenavery7
    The Allen head bolt is near impossible to find for the fine thread count.
    Hey Ken, have you considered developing an Allen bolt for the Rollenlager instead of the current bolt? Just wondering.
    Norm

mtbr member
    Hey Ken, have you considered developing an Allen bolt for the Rollenlager instead of the current bolt? Just wondering.
    Norm
    Yes...we have considered it.

I fight with that a lot, and we are trying to find a vendor, but there aren't any that are reasonable.

Still looking...

In the mean time, we just launched our new site last night... check it out.

www.RennenDesignGroup.com
    RennenDesignGroup.com
    How 1x1 is DONE.

DOH!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken@Rennen
    Aww shucks...

Hey, look for your bike on our new site.. we should be launching it tomorrow or so.

Thanks man!
    I'll be lookin' for it!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SprungShoulders
    I'll be lookin' for it!
    It should be on there soon... I just sent all the rest of the pics to the webdesigner.
    RennenDesignGroup.com
    How 1x1 is DONE.

semi-evolved simian
    In the mean time, we just launched our new site last night... check it out.

www.RennenDesignGroup.com
    Urgghh. For the love of Tim Berners-Lee, please find a web designer who uses HTML. Using Flash for such a basic website is just nasty.

Other than that minor whinge, the tensioner looks awesome. If I find myself needing to SS a vert drop frame I'll be picking one up right away.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mine'sAPint
    Urgghh. For the love of Tim Berners-Lee, please find a web designer who uses HTML. Using Flash for such a basic website is just nasty.

Other than that minor whinge, the tensioner looks awesome. If I find myself needing to SS a vert drop frame I'll be picking one up right away.
    uh... thanks... I think...

FYI: We did flash so the site would be easy to upgrade later.
    RennenDesignGroup.com
    How 1x1 is DONE.

semi-evolved simian
    uh... thanks... I think...

FYI: We did flash so the site would be easy to upgrade later.
    Well, that's a noble idea and all, but some of the things that irritate me about Flash sites are:

1) My back button no longer works as I expect it to, rather than navigating back through your site hierarchy to your "home" page it will take me right our of your site.

2) I can't send links to individual pages to my friends to show them your great products.

3) I can't copy and paste text from the pages. Say I wanted to visit one of your dealers, I'd probably want to copy and paste your address into a mapping site for some driving directions.

4) I'm pretty sure search engines like Google aren't going to be able to index your full page text very well.

I realise they're all small problems with simple workarounds, but it's irritating none the less.

Personally, if I were you, I'd just ignore me

mtbr member

Wheel removal again...

I read the explanations for wheel removal (remove skewer) but does anyone have any tiny videos or photo series on how the wheel pops out... I currently have a Singleator that is spring loaded which sucks very much and would like to try the Rennen...
    Thanks!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by flipnidaho
    I read the explanations for wheel removal (remove skewer) but does anyone have any tiny videos or photo series on how the wheel pops out... I currently have a Singleator that is spring loaded which sucks very much and would like to try the Rennen...
    Thanks!
    I don't have a vid of the removal, but when using a Q/R, it really is that simple.

The only tricky part is when the wheel drops down, the chain will still be in the roller groove, so at that point, you just need to utilize the slack you've created, and derail the chain from your cog.

-ken
    RennenDesignGroup.com
    How 1x1 is DONE.

And He was Not
    If you completely remove the skewer nut the wheel goes in and out very easily. No tools will be needed

The name's Norm...

Pretty simple, really.....

Quote Originally Posted by flipnidaho
    Thanks!
    Just loosen the QR and remove. The wheel is ready to be removed. With my Rennen, I'm running it pushed down. So all I do is to remove the QR, push the wheel out a tad which slackens the chain, which then I flip the chain around the roller. Then remove the wheel completely. Very simple!!
    Here's a pic of my setup...

mtbr member

Gracias y'all..

Rennen ordered and I will test. I'm doing some SS conversions in the next couple of weeks for friends and if the Rennen is really that good. I'm thinking of carrying it exclusively in my shop for those with vertical drops (and don't want to invest in Eno).

mtbr member
    Just loosen the QR and remove. The wheel is ready to be removed. With my Rennen, I'm running it pushed down. So all I do is to remove the QR, push the wheel out a tad which slackens the chain, which then I flip the chain around the roller. Then remove the wheel completely. Very simple!!
    Here's a pic of my setup...
    Your set-up is beautiful! Very clean...
    Thanks for teh feedback, and the instructions.

Mind if I take that pic for the website??
    RennenDesignGroup.com
    How 1x1 is DONE.

The name's Norm...
    Go right ahead, Ken.
    You've got the best tensioner out, IMHO!!!

mtbr member
    Go right ahead, Ken.
    You've got the best tensioner out, IMHO!!!
    Thanks for that.. you just made my day.

This is what the bike scene is about.. cool people who "get it".
    RennenDesignGroup.com
    How 1x1 is DONE.

Sofa King We Todd Did
    I have a question about the Rollenlager. You know how the Singleator has a horizontal bar which the pulley is attached to that allows the pulley to shift towards to centerline of the bike or away from it? I don't see one for the Rollenlager. Does that mean that I'm kinda locked into a finite range for chainline setup? In other words, is there any flexibility with moving the roller left or right?

Does my question make any sense?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SpinWheelz
    I have a question about the Rollenlager. You know how the Singleator has a horizontal bar which the pulley is attached to that allows the pulley to shift towards to centerline of the bike or away from it? I don't see one for the Rollenlager. Does that mean that I'm kinda locked into a finite range for chainline setup? In other words, is there any flexibility with moving the roller left or right?

Does my question make any sense?
    Lateral adjustment is what you mean.... The Rollenlager has 2 very small spacers on the roller axle, which allow you to fine tune the chain line.

In truth, the roller groove is so wide, that it hasn't been too much of a problem.

An added bonus of the wide roller groove, is that you can run BMX chains.
    RennenDesignGroup.com
    How 1x1 is DONE.

Sofa King We Todd Did
    Lateral adjustment is what you mean...
    You don't scare me with your fancy-schmancy technobabble! Thanks for the explanation, though!

And He was Not

Also...

We needed to move the roller over to the center of the bike on ours. We found a longer bolt and added a spacer from a old set of v-brakes and we were able to space it any where we wanted. I think Ken's newest design may have them in the kit? If they don't, I'm sure he will be adding them.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Enoch
    We needed to move the roller over to the center of the bike on ours. We found a longer bolt and added a spacer from a old set of v-brakes and we were able to space it any where we wanted. I think Ken's newest design may have them in the kit? If they don't, I'm sure he will be adding them.
    We are actually moving towards longer axles... that is the strongest fix. We will be testing it first though so it won't be out for a little bit.
    RennenDesignGroup.com
    How 1x1 is DONE.