Rennen SS cogs, any experience?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Rennen SS cogs, any experience?

Anyone use these cogs? How do they wear? They look pretty "bling" for the price.

http://www.rennendesigngroup.com/Cog.htm
    Happy new year..Stuff $: Eno 29wheel (non disc), Yakima, 2 steelheads, with towers for Volvo luggage rails.

Wandering not Lost
    waiting on responses, seeing that boone is not going to be an option.

Out spokin'
    Yeahbutt... they're aluminum, right? I mean, what's the point?

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Aluminum is fine if done right. I have used the Endless aluminum cogs (Endlessbikes.com) with good results. High tooth profile, wide base. As long as your chainline is right and you stay away from the tiny sizes, wear is great. My 20-tooth has lots of miles on it and still looks new.

I HAVE heard of King aluminum cogs being rather soft, though.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    same here...its the alu that is keeping me away...i have heard about nightmares with aluminum cassettes and dont know if i would risk running a ss alu rear cog.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

I went ahead and pulled the trigger...

on a 19 tooth. I'm bored and looking for a lil flavor...

The base looks nice and wide and the sales pitch is that it's a harder aluminum....I guess I'll provide the feedback to my own post. LOL.

It looks cool, see if it functions equally and maybe comparable to my favorite Surly cogs (fingers crossed). At least it's a third of the price of a new Boone!
    Happy new year..Stuff $: Eno 29wheel (non disc), Yakima, 2 steelheads, with towers for Volvo luggage rails.

HTFU and Ride
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger___
    Anyone use these cogs? How do they wear? They look pretty "bling" for the price.

http://www.rennendesigngroup.com/Cog.htm

looks sick, how much $ they run?
    Winter is coming.

Out spokin'
    Quote Originally Posted by Spokey-Doke
    Aluminum is fine if done right. I have used the Endless aluminum cogs (Endlessbikes.com) with good results. High tooth profile, wide base. As long as your chainline is right and you stay away from the tiny sizes, wear is great. My 20-tooth has lots of miles on it and still looks new.

I HAVE heard of King aluminum cogs being rather soft, though.
    Yeah, one of my buds got almost 2 months out of his 22t Endless aluminum cog. Another toasted a 19t King aluminum cog in less than 2 weeks.

Aluminum gears on a one speed? I'm just not goin' there again. Personally I won't even run aluminum chainrings -- my singlspeeds employ either Boone ti or Surly steel (5-bolt spider to spread the load. thank you very much).

Glad aluminum gears are working for you (and others), though.

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org

Welcome to the Gem...
    freehub with freewheels...

ftw
    Ibis Tranny 29

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus
    Yeah, one of my buds got almost 2 months out of his 22t Endless aluminum cog. Another toasted a 19t King aluminum cog in less than 2 weeks.

Aluminum gears on a one speed? I'm just not goin' there again. Personally I won't even run aluminum chainrings -- my singlspeeds employ either Boone ti or Surly steel (5-bolt spider to spread the load. thank you very much).

Glad aluminum gears are working for you (and others), though.

--Sparty
    Point taken. Might depend a whole lot on what kind of torque someone is generating. I'm 160 pounds and nobody has ever used terms like "powerful" or "muscular" to describe me.

Roger, you might twist that sucker right off! Test thoroughly before Old Pueblo.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Found them on sale at pricepoint

for $30 on Pricepoint.

mtbr member

AlAluminum gears on a one speed? I'm just not goin' there again. Personally I won't even
    run aluminum chainrings -- my singlspeeds employ either Boone ti or Surly steel (5-bolt
    spider to spread the load. thank you very much).
    d aluminum gears are working for you (and others), though.

--Sparty
    I'm on my 3rd year with my endless 24t cog, but my aluminium CK also lasted longer - about a month... Aluminium cogs do get dinged up easily if you get crap in your chain, or your chain is worn or loose.

Oddly enough, I've found the surly ss chain rings to be soft, easily bent, and wear fast.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    decided to get them anyway...will set them up tml..they seem strong enough..and feel really light. Anyone knows if it is possible to reverse the cogs when they wear out to get more life out of them?

Wandering not Lost
    Quote Originally Posted by Mallanaga
    freehub with freewheels...

ftw
    wow you must be really hardcore! How did you man handle that freewhell onto the cassette body of your "freehub"?

LTW

Out spokin'
    Quote Originally Posted by itsdoable
    I'm on my 3rd year with my endless 24t cog, but my aluminium CK also lasted longer - about a month... Aluminium cogs do get dinged up easily if you get crap in your chain, or your chain is worn or loose.

Oddly enough, I've found the surly ss chain rings to be soft, easily bent, and wear fast.
    I'm up here in the PacificNorthWet. The gritty, grimy, wet slurry that comes of riding off-road in a perpetual rain forest can make awful things happen to bicycle parts.

Back in the day of rim brakes, wheels would fail on a regular basis, the rim sidewalls worn paper thin. (No, I did not resort to using steel rims!)

I admit that Surly rings don't seem to be made of a particularly hard version of stainless. But if I'm running a 36t chainring (I do), it will receive far fewer number of chain passes than, say a 19t or 20t cog during the same number of miles.

I've seen photos on this board of pretzeled Surly chainrings. But always the 4-bolt versions, never a 5-bolt. Personally, I think 4-bolt cranks are of inferior design.

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org

Single Speed Junkie
    I've seen photos on this board of pretzeled Surly chainrings. But always the 4-bolt versions, never a 5-bolt. Personally, I think 4-bolt cranks are of inferior design.

--Sparty
    Agreed, but then again sometimes the better design dies out in favor of marketing.

Hell I'm still running square tape cranks. I recall that I needed some little part for the crank and needed to call Race Face since I could not find anyone in the country with spares. They laughed and called the equipment vintage. It was only 3-4 years old at the time. Guess that my SRAM woody is ancient by these standards then.

Out spokin'
    Quote Originally Posted by crux
    Agreed, but then again sometimes the better design dies out in favor of marketing.

Hell I'm still running square tape cranks. ...
    Ain't it the truth. I've got 10 or so bikes -- all employ square taper cranks. Except for a Bullseye 202mm crank I bought in 1992, I've never used any type of crank other than square taper nor have I ever wanted to. Only reason I bought the Bullseyes is there weren't any other production extra-length square taper cranks available back then.

Two years later Caramba offered their square taper Double Barrel crank in 195mm length. I immediately bought 2 sets. 14 years later I'm still running one of them. The other finally failed last year.

I bought another two pair of 195mm cranks in '07 -- square taper all the way.

--Sparty

P.S. The On-One Inbred 29er I bought in October came with a Truvativ outboard bearing crankset (SS 33t ring w/bash guard). That crank lies in my parts bin; it hasn't even had a pedal threaded into it yet. Hmmm... wonder what I could get for it...
    disciplesofdirt.org

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Got the cog, ehhhh, not sure...

it doesn't look much like the pic on Rennen's site. Not sure if it's a earlier batch that pricepoint got or if it's because it's a 19tooth, but it doesn't appear (now who knows it may turn out to be a tough MFr) to be the quality on the website. So this is just on appearance alone.

I'll take a pic and post this weekend. Busy with the kids right now.

If you happend to be on the fence like BThor, you may want to continue sniper hunting on ebay for your Boone.

mtbr member
    If your looking for a decent, long wearing wide base cog, it's hard to beat the Surly. A good wearing Ti alternative to the Boone is the Spicer, which is heavier and not as nice looking, but works well. The only aluminium cog I've had good life out of is the Endless, but people's mileage have differed. But if you are a weight weinie, that's the one I would recommend.

The best budget cog is the Shimano BMX by a long shot - they last forever (compared to the above) and don't easily derail chains. But they don't have a wide base.

mtbr member
    For me it's Ti 1st, steel 2nd, never aluminum.
    PS - I've got the Boone's in 16 - 21 and a 32T chainring for my 970 XTR crank. Also running a Boone spacer kit.
    If you're lucky enough to be in the mountains,
    you're lucky enough.

fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    I'm running one....a 17T on 26'er with a 32T up front....only have about 60 miles and 8K' so far...gotta pull it off for a race so I'll give it a good once-over and let y'all know how it's holdin' up......it's a light lil' bugger though
    Click Here for Forum Rules

Wandering not Lost
    Quote Originally Posted by azjonboy
    For me it's Ti 1st, steel 2nd, never aluminum.
    PS - I've got the Boone's in 16 - 21 and a 32T chainring for my 970 XTR crank. Also running a Boone spacer kit.

up for letting go of that 21?

mtbr member
    I guess I'll have to try Ti someday, but it's CK steel cogs for me these days... zero wear, sure they weigh more but a couple of grams pales in comparison to the amount of mud getting on my bike frame.

Out spokin'
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger___
    I'll take a pic and post this weekend.
    Although I don't intend to ever buy an aluminum cog, I'm curious to see what the one you got looks like, Roger.

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org

local trails rider
    The On-One Groove Armada Cog is a pretty good steel cog. Works for me anyway.

Industry Vet
    Jul 2012
    Any long term results from these cogs? I ordered a black 20t then found they make colored ones too, so I ordered a blue one too.

mtbr member

Rennen SS cogs, any experience?

I had a their black 22 cog on my Inbred for a few seasons with no issues. Surprisingly,it showed very wear after pulling it off the bike. Mine is still in near perfect condition and ready for a future build. I converted my Inbred to a 1x10 when my new SS frame arrived. I ordered another of their cogs in "raw " this time (Ti frame) but my Homebrew Ti cogs actually showed up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    I've had really good luck with AL cogs (HBC, Rennen, and now Endless). This could be I'm not a clyde (170#), or maybe I'm fairly week (definitely), or maybe I am better about keeping the drivetrain cleaner than I think I do. Whatever it is, I've never shredded or "worn out" any cog of any material.

I have a rennen and its fine, but I'm currently an Endless guy, since they are an NC company, and I can actually order and receive products quickly.

mtbr member
    My Rennen exploded after about 6 months. I pulled two teeth off on a short steep climb. From now on I will go with steel. The tiny bit of extra weight it worth it to me. FWIW my steel Surly 18t that has a few thousand miles on it is still in great shape.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I have a 17t. It works well but not as well as my HBC did. The teeth profile on the Rennen are very square at the top (looking at the narrow profile). The HBC teeth profile were beveled a bit to ease their entrance into the chain. I lightly chamfered both sides of each tooth on my Rennen with a hand file and it quieted the chain down a lot and it only took a few minutes. I run one half link and the teeth were catching on it. Good quality and has lasted fairly well. I am 165 and run it 28/17 on my 29er.

Members who have read this thread: 0