Rennen Roll....- Mtbr.com

Thread: Rennen Roll....

College
    Jun 2004

Rennen Roll....

can some one tell me why these tensioners are so expensive. It's just 1 piece of alluminum with a roller. This thing costs more than my 9.0 sl sram deraiilleur. It looks really good and strong, and i want to try out SS but MAN. Does anyone else make a tensioner that doesn't use a spring. It looks relatively easy to make. The more complex ones dont even cost that much.

And He was Not

Think So

A Surley singulator can run about $40, The Convert can run WAY more than that.How much $$ is a Melvin?
    I do think the Rennan is a little pricey for the amount of materials, but $50 is not that much $ when compared to other tensioners. As far as the way it works, it seems to be one of the best. Try it and you will prolly forget how much it cost in a few weeks.

mtbr member

Check out Singlespeed FAQ's

there are instructions and plans on how to create a springless tension device that is very similar in function to the Rennen. However, I think the Rennen is worth the money. Easy install and ride (and forget it) setup.

mtbr member
    once you get your bike setup with a Rollenlager, and don't have to screw around with springs, you will have no problem justifying the $50. if you just want to try out SS, go with something cheaper. once you decide to stick with it, go for a Rollenlager. or just go with a Rollenlager from the getgo, 'cause i don't think you'll be disappointed in SS-ing.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    It costs money to run a business, so your $2 piece of alloy also comes with $40 odd of business expenses.

Hopefully there is a decent profit in there as well.
    "The man is richest whose pleasures are the cheapest" Henry David Thoreau (obviously a single speeder)

"...everytime you throw something away your load gets lighter..."

College
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by the Inbred
    once you get your bike setup with a Rollenlager, and don't have to screw around with springs, you will have no problem justifying the $50. if you just want to try out SS, go with something cheaper. once you decide to stick with it, go for a Rollenlager. or just go with a Rollenlager from the getgo, 'cause i don't think you'll be disappointed in SS-ing.
    I'll try to run it with out a tensioner to see if it works. I have seen guys with a gary fisher frame run a 38/ 16 and it was a tite squeeze. I'll see if i can pull it off

The name's Norm...
    Quote Originally Posted by b12yan88
    I'll try to run it with out a tensioner to see if it works. I have seen guys with a gary fisher frame run a 38/ 16 and it was a tite squeeze. I'll see if i can pull it off
    Depending where you ride, hope that ratio isn't too tough to turn.
    Sometimes the wrong ratio ruins the experience. And if you do go SS and need a tensioner, the Rennen is it. I can give you an ebay seller that has cheap tensioners(spring)but the way is springless. Good luck!

College
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by maSSpayne
    Depending where you ride, hope that ratio isn't too tough to turn.
    Sometimes the wrong ratio ruins the experience. And if you do go SS and need a tensioner, the Rennen is it. I can give you an ebay seller that has cheap tensioners(spring)but the way is springless. Good luck!
    Okay, cool, What's the guys id ? Or maybe link me ?
    I like mashing much more then spinning out. I think that's because i'm a sprinter(runnning 100m) and a jumper. I use to do high weights and litttle repitition. I know spinning makes you a lot more efficient, but i don't care all that much. I just want to have fun. It might be hard to spin though. I'll see if i can match a 2:1 on my gearie.
    Last edited by b12yan88; 02-20-2005 at 11:35 AM.

The name's Norm...
    [QUOTE=b12yan88]Okay, cool, What's the guys id ? QUOTE]
    Here ya go....

ComcycleUSA.com
    I purchased a set of XT/Rhynolite wheels from him. Great guy! Just click on the ID on the bottom of the pic. It will take you directly to the item. Good luck!

College
    Jun 2004
    [QUOTE=maSSpayne]
    Okay, cool, What's the guys id ? QUOTE]
    Here ya go....

ComcycleUSA.com
    I purchased a set of XT/Rhynolite wheels from him. Great guy! Just click on the ID on the bottom of the pic. It will take you directly to the item. Good luck!
    I thought it would be something cheap, at that price might as well get the rennen on the get go.

Only dead people are old
    I thought it would be something cheap, at that price might as well get the rennen on the get go.
    According to many on this forum, Rennen is the best and I don't see the cost being out of line for something that actually works well. Check out these threads for more on the Rennen tensioners - I was convinced.
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=74029
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=77946

College
    Jun 2004
    [QUOTE=maSSpayne]
    Okay, cool, What's the guys id ? QUOTE]
    Here ya go....

ComcycleUSA.com
    BOOOOOO I tried to magic ratio it, i missed by like 2 mm. I almost have it in the drop out, GRRRR. Looks like ill have to drop more coin. I thought this SS thing would be cheap, it's been costing so much. First 20 for gusset 28 for Blackspire. Another 50 would be, 100$$.

man good thing its my birthday soon.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by the Inbred
    Hey everyone,

Thanks for the kind words.

Inbred pretty much said it.

We wanted to make the best system out there, and make it 100% in the USA. Our roller is silent, and is a unique mold design with a wider groove. The main body is NOT stamped like the cheap knock-offs... and we use high quality cartridge bearings, not cheap bushings.

That costs a bit more to do, but it's still a fair price considering the competition's prices, and the opportunity to make it in the USA.

It's also cheap insurance, as most of our customers have bought at least one other system and had it fail.

Think of it this way... you can buy a $10 headset, or you can buy a $100 Chris King.

If you want the best, you will make the investment, and stand behind companies that don't take the easy way out.

-ken
    RennenDesignGroup.com
    How 1x1 is DONE.

College
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected]
    Hey everyone,

Thanks for the kind words.

Inbred pretty much said it.

We wanted to make the best system out there, and make it 100% in the USA. Our roller is silent, and is a unique mold design with a wider groove. The main body is NOT stamped like the cheap knock-offs... and we use high quality cartridge bearings, not cheap bushings.

That costs a bit more to do, but it's still a fair price considering the competition's prices, and the opportunity to make it in the USA.

It's also cheap insurance, as most of our customers have bought at least one other system and had it fail.

Think of it this way... you can buy a $10 headset, or you can buy a $100 Chris King.

If you want the best, you will make the investment, and stand behind companies that don't take the easy way out.

-ken
    Alrighty i just ordered one. Hopefully I'll like single speeding. Im listening to everyone and getting a Rollenlager and hoping to get nice silent action with no chain clatter.

Whatever! Just crash it!

One comment on the Rennen...

I was working with a friend on his SS conversion. He got the Rennen and I was very impressed with the way it was built and designed. I found one issue that prevented us from getting it set up last night.

The design is such that it is really made to work best with a true SS hub and not a geary freehub with certain spacer kits. My buddy got a spacer kit that had the cog running about 1/3" too inboard for the Rennenroller to reach it.

Oh yeah... the Cannonwhale der. hanger is notched enough that you need an extra washer to be able to tighten it down flush. Nothing that a trip to the parts bin didn't fix immediately.

I tossed on an old Surly to tide him over till I have time to build a new wheel.

This is by far the best tensioner that I've worked with. It was more the hub's problem than the hanger.

Have a nice day,

Peter
    If a man talks dirty to a woman, it's sexual harassment. If a woman talks dirty to a man, it's $3.95 per minute.

Bike Wrench Blog ** Unfortunate Series of Events

And He was Not

Try This

Quote Originally Posted by Objectionable Material
    I was working with a friend on his SS conversion. He got the Rennen and I was very impressed with the way it was built and designed. I found one issue that prevented us from getting it set up last night.

The design is such that it is really made to work best with a true SS hub and not a geary freehub with certain spacer kits. My buddy got a spacer kit that had the cog running about 1/3" too inboard for the Rennenroller to reach it.

Oh yeah... the Cannonwhale der. hanger is notched enough that you need an extra washer to be able to tighten it down flush. Nothing that a trip to the parts bin didn't fix immediately.

I tossed on an old Surly to tide him over till I have time to build a new wheel.

This is by far the best tensioner that I've worked with. It was more the hub's problem than the hanger.

Have a nice day,

Peter
    I had the same problem, I Installed a longer bolt thru the arm of the tensioner, and installed a couple of washer from a old brake set. With the longer bolt and washers I was able to put the roller where I wanted it.

Whatever! Just crash it!
    Quote Originally Posted by Enoch
    I had the same problem, I Installed a longer bolt thru the arm of the tensioner, and installed a couple of washer from a old brake set. With the longer bolt and washers I was able to put the roller where I wanted it.
    Thanks. I thought about that, but decided that I'd get him set up with a dedicated hub. It gives me an excuse to build a wheel.

Peter
    If a man talks dirty to a woman, it's sexual harassment. If a woman talks dirty to a man, it's $3.95 per minute.

Bike Wrench Blog ** Unfortunate Series of Events

mtbr member
    i'm really not a big fan of the 2-big-spacers deal. i have yet to get a good chainline using them. that, and they don't work with wide-based cogs.

College
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Objectionable Material
    Thanks. I thought about that, but decided that I'd get him set up with a dedicated hub. It gives me an excuse to build a wheel.

Peter
    Cool, i just finished building a wheel for a friend. It was my third one, I'm getting a lot faster. Ill take pictures later tonight of the other two i built including my rear with a gusset. Maybe you guys can tell me what kind of chain line i need, or if i need spacers and stuff.

My buddies build was
    DT Hugi
    x517
    14/17/14 spokes with ice blue nipples.

And the nipples and spokes were from oddsandendos.com. Man that guy ships fast, i just ordered it Wednesday.

mtbr member
    Ill take pictures later tonight of the other two i built including my rear with a gusset. Maybe you guys can tell me what kind of chain line i need, or if i need spacers and stuff.
    Got the pics??

If you need help with chainline adjustment, let me know... I've set a few of these up...
    RennenDesignGroup.com
    How 1x1 is DONE.

mtbr member

here is mine with rennen

works very well so far.
    Attached Images Attached Images

College
    Jun 2004
    Got the pics??

If you need help with chainline adjustment, let me know... I've set a few of these up...
    Im going to take pictures as soon as i get them. Hopefully i dont have any chainline problems though. HHhow long do you think the shipping will take ?

College
    Jun 2004
    Got the pics??

AWWW... crap installation troubles. My chain fits on almost perfectly, almost perfect chain line. The thing is my chain can not get on correctly. When i have no tensioner it misses by 2mm, but when i add a chain link, It's all over, it gets so big that i can't even get the tensioner fit on to derailleur hanger.

I know it comes with a half link thingy, but it doesn't fit my chain. I just bought a new 8 speed chain too, so i dont want to buy another one. The half link looks like it fits a really fat chain or something. Is there anyway you can send me a half link for a pc48 chain, cause mine doesn't seem to fit. Right now i just screwed it on, It works but, no strength.

Good thing i won't be riding for a while ( or that's bad... ) cause of a knee problem.

mtbr member
    if Ken can't hook you up, Harris Cyclery has them for $4.

http://harriscyclery.net/site/itemdetails.cfm?ID=1274

mtbr member

the half link comes with an extra wide pin... it will fit your 9 speed chain.

Don't worry about the pin sticking out (it's not like you have other chainrings or cogs for it to hang up on). If it bothers you, you can dremel the piece of pin sticking out... Here is how far mine stuck out (it stuck out an equal amount on the other side)...
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    AWWW... crap installation troubles. My chain fits on almost perfectly, almost perfect chain line. The thing is my chain can not get on correctly. When i have no tensioner it misses by 2mm, but when i add a chain link, It's all over, it gets so big that i can't even get the tensioner fit on to derailleur hanger.

I know it comes with a half link thingy, but it doesn't fit my chain. I just bought a new 8 speed chain too, so i dont want to buy another one. The half link looks like it fits a really fat chain or something. Is there anyway you can send me a half link for a pc48 chain, cause mine doesn't seem to fit. Right now i just screwed it on, It works but, no strength.

Good thing i won't be riding for a while ( or that's bad... ) cause of a knee problem.
    Ok, here is the quick/cheap fix for your 8-speed chain problem:

1. Take the half link, and "pop" apart the 2 plates of the link (I used a screw driver).
    2. Note the construction of the link (2 plates, 1 pin cylinder, 1 "donut" spacer)
    3. Now take an 8-speed link, and do that same.. spearating the inner plates, and removing the "donut".
    4. Replace the larger 1/8" donut with the one from the 8-speed chain, and re assemble half-link with chain tool.

This method should work for you to convert the 1/8" half link to 8-speed spacing.

As mentioned in this thread, the pin will be longer than needed, but you can dremel that off if it really bothers you.

FYI, I actually run this set-up on my personal bike, and have had zero problems.

BUT, realize this is the cheap/quick fix... the alternative is to buy a new 1/8" chain or a 8-speed half link. Both are fairly cheap anyways.

Hope that helps!
    RennenDesignGroup.com
    How 1x1 is DONE.

College
    Jun 2004
    Ok, here is the quick/cheap fix for your 8-speed chain problem:

1. Take the half link, and "pop" apart the 2 plates of the link (I used a screw driver).
    2. Note the construction of the link (2 plates, 1 pin cylinder, 1 "donut" spacer)
    3. Now take an 8-speed link, and do that same.. spearating the inner plates, and removing the "donut".
    4. Replace the larger 1/8" donut with the one from the 8-speed chain, and re assemble half-link with chain tool.

This method should work for you to convert the 1/8" half link to 8-speed spacing.

As mentioned in this thread, the pin will be longer than needed, but you can dremel that off if it really bothers you.

FYI, I actually run this set-up on my personal bike, and have had zero problems.

BUT, realize this is the cheap/quick fix... the alternative is to buy a new 1/8" chain or a 8-speed half link. Both are fairly cheap anyways.

Hope that helps!
    OH, Im so stupid, i can't believe i didn't think of that. Ill post pictures of my convert right after im done.

mtbr member
    OH, Im so stupid, i can't believe i didn't think of that.
    We tend to get that a lot over here at Rennen!!!

Let me know how it works out for ya!
    RennenDesignGroup.com
    How 1x1 is DONE.

College
    Jun 2004
    We tend to get that a lot over here at Rennen!!!

Let me know how it works out for ya!
    Well, I got everything fixed up, and it fits perfectly now. My single speed looks great. Looks so much nicer than when it had all that stuff on it. I don't think ill miss it, since i wont be doing climbing trails for a while. Training for track and field and im biking around the neighborhood. I had a slight knee injury, so i didn't get to try it out yet. Maybe next week, i'll tell you guys how i like it. I dont have time to take pics today cause i have lots of work to do, tomorrow definitely.

mtbr member
    Well, I got everything fixed up, and it fits perfectly now. My single speed looks great. Looks so much nicer than when it had all that stuff on it. I don't think ill miss it, since i wont be doing climbing trails for a while. Training for track and field and im biking around the neighborhood. I had a slight knee injury, so i didn't get to try it out yet. Maybe next week, i'll tell you guys how i like it. I dont have time to take pics today cause i have lots of work to do, tomorrow definitely.
    Cool! Def post some pics up...
    RennenDesignGroup.com
    How 1x1 is DONE.

College
    Jun 2004
    Cool! Def post some pics up...
    Alright pictures are up

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...695#post730695

Enjoy, and thanks for the help Ken, and everyone else.