Rennen cogs and rings?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2008

Rennen cogs and rings?

Hey,

I'm looking at upgrading my current driveline to something a bit nicer, more durable and (in the case of the chainring) SS specific. I'm currently using an LX middle ring (32T) and the 16T that came with my old DMR SS kit.

I'm interested to know if anyone's using Rennen stuff. It looks pretty nice and is reasonably affordable. I guess my alternatives are the veloce up front, and on the rear i'm trying to decide on alu vs steel. I weight 100kg (220lbs in the old money), and am reasonably powerful.

I was also considering getting their freehub spacer as the DMR stuff i'm using now looks and feels cheap.

I could go Rennen all the way through which would be nice, but i'm a bit hesitant on the cog particularly as: 1) it's alu and 2) i've not found many reviews...

advice/opinions?
    thanks

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cha_cha_
    Hey,

I could go Rennen all the way through which would be nice, but i'm a bit hesitant on the cog particularly as: 1) it's alu and 2) i've not found many reviews...

advice/opinions?
    thanks
    I think the Rennen stuff is very good, I use the cog on my BMX race bike.

Many top BMX pro racers are using these gears, as they run so smoothly

They are the best Ive found.

Brian
    Owner of JRA Cycles, Medford Ma.

Heads up Flyboy!!
    I'm a fan of Surly Chain rings and cogs. Both come in stainless steel, afforbably priced and last for a long time. I have almost 2,000 miles on a set with no apparent wear. Go stainless, forget the weight, stay away from alum. Wasted a Salsa ring in less then 4 months but I'm a heavier rider as well at 200 lbs and ride in the mountains where elevation accumilations can be anywhere from 10,000 to 18,000 feet on a 30-40 mile ride.

Jeremy

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    bringing up this thread again...im gonna use the rennen cog and chainring for my ss bike...will there be any problems if i were to use the kmc x9 gold, since it says that they are 8,9 spd chain compatible? or shld i use the k810 but i want some gold on it and k810 is not...

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    i ended up getting the rennen ring and cog but i haven't put a lot of kms through it yet. in the very few kms that i've done (i'm laid up at home with a broken foot and i've only taken it around the block a few times to tune the brakes) the sram PC1 nickel 1/8" that i'm using runs a treat. i'm pretty sure the rennen stuff will also accept a 3/32" 8-9 speed aswell, but i'm not 100%. i think i put the ring on and gave it a few pedal strokes to check alignment before i put the new chain on and the old one was an 8-speed...

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    my local bike shop has tried to put an 8-spd chain to the rennen ring and he says its a bit tight I think.

another option will be using the blackspire mono veloce or the surly stainless ring which can use an 8-spd or maybe more. it will goes withe the xt 08 crank arms...

Members who have read this thread: 0