Removing Hanger?- Mtbr.com
    Come on winter!

Removing Hanger?

I found a magic gear for my SS setup and hate the look of the old hanger on there but I'm not sure how much strength it adds to the dropout. Could it just be replaced with washers or some other spacer?
    zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Rollin' a fatty Moderator
    If you're sure that you don't need it cut it.

meh... whatever
    Quote Originally Posted by ytc100
    I found a magic gear for my SS setup and hate the look of the old hanger on there but I'm not sure how much strength it adds to the dropout. Could it just be replaced with washers or some other spacer?
    personally i would just pop the hanger off and remove the der mount with the grinding wheel. washers would look dorky IMHO and wouldnt fit cleanly in the hanger recesses of the dropout, and you'd have to dink around with them every time you remove the wheel. dropouts are cheap so if you ever did want to go back to gears just buy another one.

my .02
    "Knowledge is good." ~ Emil Faber

mtbr member

I'd leave it...

cause you may want to use gears on it again or sell this frame once the inevitable SS-specific frame purchase bug bites you.

Come on winter!
    Good replies.

I actually have an extra hanger so I'll probably end up modifing one to fit cleanly.

I guess my real question should have been: Is the dropout strong enough to ride without a hanger in place?

I found a combo of washers that fit quite well but they are a pain to deal with when removing/reinstalling the wheel.

Rollin' a fatty Moderator
    I guess my real question should have been: Is the dropout strong enough to ride without a hanger in place?
    Prolly not, most frames are ressed in the droput area to allow for a replaceable dropout.

If you have an extra save it, cut the one installed and grind the corners to avoid sharp edges.

I've done it to others bikes, real simple and clean looking.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by monogod
    personally i would just pop the hanger off and remove the der mount with the grinding wheel. washers would look dorky IMHO and wouldnt fit cleanly in the hanger recesses of the dropout, and you'd have to dink around with them every time you remove the wheel. dropouts are cheap so if you ever did want to go back to gears just buy another one.

my .02
    i second this idea. a dremel tool and cutting disc followed by a little finish grinding will do wonders.
    as for the washers, if you don't use them you will never have to remove the wheel, if you do use them you will have to remove the wheel once a week ( for some reason ). murphy's law, man.

Come on winter!
    Yeah my frame's driveside dropout is half the thickness of the non-drive side.

Thanks for the replies, I'm going to modify one of my hangers as suggested.

meh... whatever
    Good replies.

I actually have an extra hanger so I'll probably end up modifing one to fit cleanly.
    werd.

oh HELL no.....

[i]I found a combo of washers that fit quite well but they are a pain to deal with when removing/reinstalling the wheel.
    'xactly...
    "Knowledge is good." ~ Emil Faber

Members who have read this thread: 0