Removing the freewheel- Mtbr.com
    c-d
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Removing the freewheel

Looking for help or tricks in removing freewheels. My 12" crecent wrench with a 5 lb hammer and appropriate Park freewheel tool was just not enough. Yeah, I know it was a few steps below shop work.

KgB
    SNGLSPD

here's what I do

Attach the freewheel tool loosely with the axle nut.
    Put in vice and turn like steering wheel(lefty-loosey)
    If you don't have vice you may need two people and a pipe to fit over wrench for leverage.
    When you reinstall use never-seize not grease.
    I've been inside too long.

"Mr. Britannica"

this always works for me

hold the wheel upright (might need to bolt or nut the fw tool in place), and step on the 12" crescent wrench. I use a Park chain whip, which fits the fw tool; it's a little longer but not much. You might need a cheater bar for more leverage. Others use a vise.

mtbr member

old trick

The vice works well. I use that as well as on old trick learned on this board. take a long piece of wood, e.g., 4x4", and nail some pieces of wood molding that will hold a big crescent wrench in tightly place on top. i kneel on the big piece of wood, or brace it in a corner, with crescent wrench and socket in place, while turning the wheel. the wheel gives good leverage (as it does on the vice), and the wood acts like a vice-like support. make sure to use grease or anti-sieze on the threads when remounting.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

More leverage?

When I need a little more leverage than the standard tool provides, I use some thick schedule PVC pipe that's a good length, slip it over the tool and it gets the job done. Plus, the pipe is a little easier to grip than the original tool.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Use your QR skewer or axle nuts to lightly hold the tool in place. Give it enough slack to make the initial turn when it breaks loose.clamp the tool in a bench vise, grasp the wheel by the outside edge, and apply steady pressure until it moves. Back off on the skewer nut, and turn until it comes out. After the first full turn, they usually come off with hand pressure.

Freewheels loosen in the direction that they freewheel.

The man who fell to earth

try this....

The tool in the vise/turn the wheel with your hands method usually works pretty well. But some people don't have vises, or even if they do this technique may not work for a really stubborn one.

An easy way to get it off every time is to take your wheel (complete with stuck freewheel) and your freewheel tool to your friendly local auto garage/tire outlet (Firestone, Goodrich, Joe's Garage, whatever). Try to bypass the counter and go directly to one of the mechanics and ask him if he can zip it off for you with his pneumatic impact gun (the pistol looking thing they use to quickly put lug nuts on and off with). It will only take a second (literally), so they should do it right then and there and won't charge you. If they give you any grief try another place, but most mechs would be happy to do it for you. Those impact guns WILL get your freewheel off!

Good luck...

Quote Originally Posted by c-d
    Looking for help or tricks in removing freewheels. My 12" crecent wrench with a 5 lb hammer and appropriate Park freewheel tool was just not enough. Yeah, I know it was a few steps below shop work.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

good ol wrench for plumbing?

this could work with a FW tool if a vice isnt' avaliable. more leverage and wont hurt the hands as much as a skinny commuter tool.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    [zip it off for you with his pneumatic impact gun (the pistol looking thing they use to quickly put lug nuts on and off with).

I thought about suggesting this myself. I have an impact at home and find that it gets things lose with less damage than using brute force and a cheater pipe.
    "I've never been better .... nor cared less!"

DSR
    mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    I've broken a 12" wrench this way. I stomped on it and the FW tool just ate into the wrench. I didn't have a vice, so I picked up a socket (25mm I think?) and borrowed a buddies big socket wrench and then threw a 2.5' cheater pipe over that and really leaned into it. After a couple big pushes it gave way. The socket fits onto the FW removal tool real snug. Man, those FW's can really get on there tight after standing on them up the hills for a couple months. S

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

I second the impact wrench...

I just went a few rounds with one I had used for over a year and I couldn't budget it with a big wrench but the impact finaly spun it off the hub. I set the wheel on a cardboard box and barely held it between my leg then proceeded to "hammer the Sh!^ out of it till it broke free.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Everybody keeps suggesting a vise, I like to use my teeth.
    Last edited by bikerboy; 02-17-2004 at 04:50 PM. Reason: Im a moron and cant read

KgB
    SNGLSPD

Impact

[QUOTE=Ziggy-Stardust]An easy way to get it off every time is to take your wheel (complete with stuck freewheel) and your freewheel tool to your friendly local auto garage/tire outlet (Firestone, Goodrich, Joe's Garage, whatever). Try to bypass the counter and go directly to one of the mechanics and ask him if he can zip it off for you with his pneumatic impact gunQUOTE]

Hey that's a great idea.
    I've been inside too long.