Removing this cog - what tool?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Removing this cog - what tool?

Until now I've been SS'ing with a 9 speed hub, spacers, cassette lockring, etc.

Now, this is a bit different!...

(this is from a horizontal dropout inbred with SS hub)

My only experience has been with tools like Park FR-5, and this is definitely not the right tool to remove this ring.
    I have not been able to find anything useful at all so far in my searching. What kind of tool removes this 6 notch lockring?

Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    it's not the right tool but I used a flathead to get mine off. Wrap a rag around the cog and then use the screwdriver on one of the notches.

Drinkin' Buddy

You took the hub apart!

You seem to have managed to take the freehub out of the hub shell itself. That hub is a regular cassette hub. Just put it back into the hub, put the axle back in, amd re-tighten the axle nuts. Then get a chain whip on the cog and a put a hook shaped BB lock ring tool (Park HCW-5)on the lock ring and take it off just like you would any 7,8, or 9 speed cassette. The cassette body will have the cog and probably two spacers on it. Hope that helps.
    Got Beer?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Blowout
    You seem to have managed to take the freehub out of the hub shell itself. That hub is a regular cassette hub.
    It is? Here's another picture of it below. I twisted counterclockwise (no chain whip) and the piece in the pictures came right out. I was suprised. (is this a concern?) Putting it back in was as easy as doing the exact opposite of taking it out. Rides fine and seems secure in there. It is much narrower (without spacers it may have room for 3 gears of that width) than any cassette hub I've seen (of course that doesn't mean very much).

https://funblood.com/inbred/DSCN0044.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Blowout
    Just put it back into the hub, put the axle back in, amd re-tighten the axle nuts. Then get a chain whip on the cog and a put a hook shaped BB lock ring tool on the lock ring and take it off just like you would any 7,8, or 9 speed cassette. The cassette body will have the cog and probably two spacers on it. Hope that helps.
    That's what I need (in bold). Thanks. For some reason I was looking for some kind of tool similar to an FR-5 (as in circular, fits over top, etc). Doh.

Anyways, thanks.

edit: park BBT-7
    Last edited by Chris N; 09-07-2006 at 08:59 AM.

mtbr member

2Morrow is correct!

2Morrow is correct! You took part of the hub apart. It looks to me like you have a singlespeed cassette hub, probably one of the Novatech/Nashbar/Woodman variety. The splines are exactly the same as a regular cassette hub, only shorter. That piece you took out should always stay in the hub, unless you are servicing it. First, put that whole piece back in the hub, next there should be a black washer-like thingy that you took off which goes on next, and then a locknut to tension the whole setup. Now to get the cog off, all you need to do is loosen that locknut with the 6 notches. Unfortunately, I do not know what the correct tool is for removing this lockring, but I just use a large set of visegrips and a chainwhip. I use the vise grips to grab 2 of the notches, usually 2 apart, and then use the chainwhip to remove just like a normal cassette lockring. Remember when remounting, this ring does not need to be very tight, at there is no force trying to loosen it, it is just keeping everything sandwiched together. I hope this helps!

Mark

Members who have read this thread: 0