Removing Anodization?- Mtbr.com
    Witty McWitterson

Removing Anodization?

I need tips on how to remove the anodization from a Ringle stem. I know that in the past I've heard that folks used oven cleaner, but I've never seen the results of that. Does it end up splotchy, or fairly evenly removed. Or is there another method that is better? Eventually, I want to polish the stem so it looks good. How would I go about that? Simply get a polishing compound and use some elbow grease?

Why do I want to do this? The stem is a tourquois blue that will clash terribly with the paint on an expected new frame. I can't have that, just can't.

Not a regular
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ~martini~
    I need tips on how to remove the anodization from a Ringle stem. I know that in the past I've heard that folks used oven cleaner, but I've never seen the results of that. Does it end up splotchy, or fairly evenly removed. Or is there another method that is better? Eventually, I want to polish the stem so it looks good. How would I go about that? Simply get a polishing compound and use some elbow grease?

Why do I want to do this? The stem is a tourquois blue that will clash terribly with the paint on an expected new frame. I can't have that, just can't.
    I used easy off to get some blue anodize finish off some brake lever blades. It basically worked but it took off all surface coating so you would have to keep it polished to keep it looking decent. It's kind of like paint stripper - you always miss a spot. There's home remedies and then there's professional jobs. I'd check the yellow pages for anodizers and have them remove it and re-anodized silver.

Anyone else have home shop experience?

mtbr member
    I agree with ssmike. If you attack the stem with a 3M wheel the stuff will come right off. It's only a few microns thick and the dye just 'fills up' the pores in the Aluminium.

If you want the polished stem to last more than a day without constant repolishing, then yeah, you have to find an anodiser that does high quality work. A lot of them etch for too long and WHAMMO - there goes your shine. Technically you should be able to polish, scrub in warm soapy water, IPA the sucker, dry, and then hit the baths.....if the anodiser trusts you not to contaminate their baths!

If it all sounds like a royal PITA....well....thats because it is. There's always powdercoating.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Anodizing comes off with oven cleaner. Really. I've done it before.

The finish left over is rather dull but can be polished. I recently peeled the paint (powder coat) off my Race Face cranks and then polished them with a Dremel tool and the polishing compound Dremel makes. Took forever, but looks cool. This is when it was 1/2 done; you can see the dull finish on some of the spider arms.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    this space left intentionally blank