Removable brake posts- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Removable brake posts

I know that Pace makes them for their front fork. I'm wondering does anybody make them for the rear? I want to put v-brakes on my disc specific frame. I thought that I would like discs, but I really don't. I can't afford a new frame right now, so I thought maybe this would be an option.
    Any advice or tips would be appreciated.
    "I must have been born to S.S., because those are my initials!"

"Experience is a hard teacher. She gives the test first and the lesson afterwards!"

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Thanks for the info. One question..How does that bolt on?

"Experience is a hard teacher. She gives the test first and the lesson afterwards!"

mtbr member
    I believe you are supposed to use hose clamps to strap it to the fork blades.

Retro Grouch

Stay with the discs..

Quote Originally Posted by SSMTBer
    I know that Pace makes them for their front fork. I'm wondering does anybody make them for the rear? I want to put v-brakes on my disc specific frame. I thought that I would like discs, but I really don't. I can't afford a new frame right now, so I thought maybe this would be an option.
    Any advice or tips would be appreciated.
    I can't imagine what you don't like about the discs, unless they're some cheap mechanical style or improperly set up. I doubt you are going to find any reliable way to convert to V brakes, so I would work on making the disc brakes you have better.

1G1G, Brad

75% Mountain cycle

Look at "Moots Mounts" for inspiration

Do a forum search for Moots Mounts. I was planning to fabricate something like this for a disc only frame. I'd suggest you use a brake booster to keep everything parallel.

After all the research I did, it was just better to stick with discs. But - you need to come to that conclusion on your own if it's best for you.

I think it's cool to make custom stuff so I say - go for it!

Here's a Moots frame with Moot Mounts installed on the rear.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Personally, I don't like discs because they are:

<li>Expensive - even the cheap but decent Avids are much more expensive than a similar quality rim brake.
    <li>Heavy - unless you spend many hundreds more.
    <li>A hassle to maintain - messy hydraulic systems that can't be fixed or bandaged trailside. Mechanicals are better for maintenance, but much worse for weight.
    <li>Fussy and noisy - ridiculous sub 1mm tolerances to prevent rubbing.
    <li>Not worth all or any of the above - for my style of riding

I would still choose Avid BB7s if I had a disc-only frame or fork though.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I totally agree with PBB. I prefer v-brakes mainly because they are lighter. I am wanting to lighten my ride as much as possible. The only reason I have disc now is because I bought a Bianchi S.A.S.S. If I could find someone that would trade a 2005 S.A.S.S. F/F for a Monocog are something similar, I would do it in a heartbeat. If not I will definitley check into using the Moots Mounts. Thanks for all the replies!

Members who have read this thread: 0