Reload Bags- Mtbr.com

Thread: Reload Bags

mtbr member

Reload Bags

I was going to post in the bag thread but it's outa hand. I'm 47 and have no idea what cool is but I do find myself laughing at some of the kids nowadays who are trying so very hard to be it.

Anyway in August I was visiting in Seattle with a friend of mine. He lives near Supergo and I very nearly bought a Chrome bag there for commuting but they were to big and I forgot about the idea. The day I was leaving I was killing time waiting for the morning rush hour to clear (how can people live like that) and I noticed a Reload add in the local entertainment rag. I checked my map and it was kind aof on my way so I drove down and checked them out. They had the size I wanted but I didn't care for the colours/art on the bags they had. The young lady who seemed to be the senior staff member explained that they could custom make anything I wanted. I explained that I was leaving for Olympia that day and wouldn't be back. She asked if I had a couple of hours so I picked out the fabric I wanted and came back 2/12 hours later to pick it up. I'm impressed with the quality and service, and it seems comfortable but I can't compare it to other bags.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Formerly Travis Bickle

Team Robot. "modulation is code for I suck at brake control. Heres a free tip: get better."

those are Rollercams...
    I'm 44 and I pretty much wear and use whatever I like. Am I cool, I think so but others may not. Like you, I don't really care I bought a Chrome, because I wanted a Chrome.

That said, your bag looks pretty nice from the pic and the service you received is unheard of ! I'm guessing you're not a messenger(neither am I !) so you're not going to submit the bag to that type of abuse. I like the color combo, what type of buckle does it use, hard to tell by the photo? I'm going to recommend this bag to a friend who's in the market for one to check out.

Truly a wealth of useless information.

http://blackdogadventureteam.blogspot.com/

Let me ask my wife

Good job!

Reload makes very nice stuff. And that turn around time, unbelievable. I recently picked up a Chrome as well, used a Timbuk2 for years, and really like it also. Having a comfortable bag makes the commute all that much better.
    Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of riding a bike. John F. Kennedy

try driving your car less
    I am really cool.
    I use a grocery bag pannier and just throw my stuff in a plastic shopping bag in there.
    But NO WAY I would be caught dead with that optional mesh hood. DORKY POSER!

Only boring people get bored.

Out spokin'
    I'm so freakin' cool I can hardly stand to be alone with myself.

I picked up a TimbukII (or whatever their name is) bag at Interbike a couple years ago and it seems to work just fine, but that there Reload customer service you got roolz.

What is hip?

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

try driving your car less
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus

What is hip?

--Sparty

this is hip
    Only boring people get bored.

dirty hippy mountainbiker
    I'm cooler:

I'm using my Eagle Creek bag from college. I thought about getting an uber trendy Chrome or Timbik2, but the cost and hippitude was unattractive. I decked it out with reflecto tape from Napa Auto (the red and silver you see on trailers) and I'm good to go. Big? no. Comfy? no. Cool? no. Cheep? Oh hell yes.

-M

ps being old doesn't make you uncool. But it doesn't help.
    Mike Henderson, Dirty Hippy Mountain Biker and part owner of Jet Lites.

That's gonna leave a mark
    All this talk about Timbuk II has me thinking about an old joke:

Two infamous poets wait patiently outside the Pearly Gates of Heaven. As St. Peter looks over the quota list, he finds they don’t have much room for any more poets, painters, or musicians. However, after much deliberation with the Big Guy, he has devised a test to determine who gets admitted.

“Ernest Hemmingway and Henry David Thoreau,” the pious saint announces, “I realize you two were both accomplished authors in your era, but we only have room for one of you. I will give you 2 minutes to come up with a poem worthy of your talents. The best one will gain admittance.”

So the two men sat down at the Group W bench and they set to the task at hand. Absentmindedly, St. Peter adds, “Oh, I almost forgot! You must use the word Timbuktu in your poem.”

Moments later the two men stand before St. Peter with sheaves of paper in hand. Edgar Allen is chosen to go first.
    “Burning feet across the sand, came across a caravan.
    Many people passing through, destination Timbuktu.”

St. Peter smiled graciously to Mr. Poe and then motioned to Hemmingway.
    Ernie swaggers to the pulpit and recites in grandiose flair:
    “Tim and I a-walking went, spied three maidens in a tent.
    They were three and we but two, so I bucked one and Timbuktu.”
    Fat fanatic.

"Where the Fox Hat?" Endurance Team
    SoCal Colavita Road/MTB club

Out spokin'

That's a good one

But what the heck happened to Hank Davie Therow? And who invited Ed Al Po into the story 'round the half-way point?

--Sparty

Quote Originally Posted by Upchuck
    All this talk about Timbuk II has me thinking about an old joke:

Two infamous poets wait patiently outside the Pearly Gates of Heaven. As St. Peter looks over the quota list, he finds they don’t have much room for any more poets, painters, or musicians. However, after much deliberation with the Big Guy, he has devised a test to determine who gets admitted.

“Ernest Hemmingway and Henry David Thoreau,” the pious saint announces, “I realize you two were both accomplished authors in your era, but we only have room for one of you. I will give you 2 minutes to come up with a poem worthy of your talents. The best one will gain admittance.”

So the two men sat down at the Group W bench and they set to the task at hand. Absentmindedly, St. Peter adds, “Oh, I almost forgot! You must use the word Timbuktu in your poem.”

Moments later the two men stand before St. Peter with sheaves of paper in hand. Edgar Allen is chosen to go first.
    “Burning feet across the sand, came across a caravan.
    Many people passing through, destination Timbuktu.”

St. Peter smiled graciously to Mr. Poe and then motioned to Hemmingway.
    Ernie swaggers to the pulpit and recites in grandiose flair:
    “Tim and I a-walking went, spied three maidens in a tent.
    They were three and we but two, so I bucked one and Timbuktu.”
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bickle
    I was going to post in the bag thread but it's outa hand. I'm 47 and have no idea what cool is but I do find myself laughing at some of the kids nowadays who are trying so very hard to be it.

Anyway in August I was visiting in Seattle with a friend of mine. He lives near Supergo and I very nearly bought a Chrome bag there for commuting but they were to big and I forgot about the idea. The day I was leaving I was killing time waiting for the morning rush hour to clear (how can people live like that) and I noticed a Reload add in the local entertainment rag. I checked my map and it was kind aof on my way so I drove down and checked them out. They had the size I wanted but I didn't care for the colours/art on the bags they had. The young lady who seemed to be the senior staff member explained that they could custom make anything I wanted. I explained that I was leaving for Olympia that day and wouldn't be back. She asked if I had a couple of hours so I picked out the fabric I wanted and came back 2/12 hours later to pick it up. I'm impressed with the quality and service, and it seems comfortable but I can't compare it to other bags.
    that bag looks nice, i just ordered in all black one. I've never worn one but i have had a timbuk, I just ordered 2 new messnger bags (relod 4 me UTW for gf) and both have angleds straps compared to the timbuk2 which is straight. never tried it but right away it seems to make sense as far as fit and comfort go.

how does that angled strap feel with some books on board? I'm going to be commuting 6 miles each way with mione, not far but far enough towant something comfortable

mtbr member

Buckle up

The buckle is all metal and apparently some people can adjust it with one hand, although I still need to push up on the bag with one and tighten the strap with the other. I've only had it loaded up pretty much full and heavy (I try to avoid this) once and while it was a lot of weight the bag was comfortable and stayed in place. It took me a few rides to find the sweet spot for the straps and now I keep the shoulder strap a little looser and the stabalizer tighter. It's the Civilian model but it swallowed up my combat boots, uniform, towel, shaving kit and lunch no problem. When I get a chance I'll post a pic of the buckle.
    Formerly Travis Bickle

Team Robot. "modulation is code for I suck at brake control. Heres a free tip: get better."

Expert Pushing SSer
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus
    What is hip?
    Well, I do know the hip kids here in Salem are wearing these while they ride their fixies....
    Tuff Schist

Singlespeeder Downunder
    Jan 2004

What's the inside like?

Any chance you could post a pic of the inside? I'm interested in the layout of pockets.

Thanks

Jonathan
    Looking for something a bit bigger than my Crumpler, which apparently is crap anyway (or so I've heard).

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by planetjag
    Any chance you could post a pic of the inside? I'm interested in the layout of pockets.

Thanks

Jonathan
    Looking for something a bit bigger than my Crumpler, which apparently is crap anyway (or so I've heard).

I'd be interested in seeing that too.

btw I don't think that people who are saying crumplers are crap mean they're made poorly or anything, I've looked at them in a bike store and tehy look solid. but i read that the exteriors are polyester instead of nylon, a fact they try to hide by renaming the exterior stuff to "chichken-tex" and many of their bags dont have the waterproof layer that makes mess baggs so useful. plus people rag on them for making them in vietnam instead of australia, but a lot of people do that

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jh_on_the_cape
    this is hip

Sorry, this thread just screams for a Zaphod quote;

"I'm so cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month! I'm so hip I have trouble seeing over my pelvis!"

mtbr member

Bag

My bag has one inside pocket that closes with velcro. You can get pockets under the flap but I didn't think I'd use them. The shoulder strap has large D rings to help get started when adjusting the buckle.
    Formerly Travis Bickle

Members who have read this thread: 1