redundancy in the vernacular.- Mtbr.com
    Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

redundancy in the vernacular.

[rant] does anyone else find the phrase "fully rigid" grating? i mean, if you're riding rigid, you have no suspension. if you're not riding rigid, you're riding a hardtail. if you're not riding a hardtail, you're riding a fully suspended rig, right? it just seems that the only other combo (rear suspension, rigid fork) is so uncommon as to not merit mention.[/rant]

Cracker-magnon
    Quote Originally Posted by eSSq
    [rant] does anyone else find the phrase "fully rigid" grating? i mean, if you're riding rigid, you have no suspension. if you're not riding rigid, you're riding a hardtail. if you're not riding a hardtail, you're riding a fully suspended rig, right? it just seems that the only other combo (rear suspension, rigid fork) is so uncommon as to not merit mention.[/rant]
    how about riding rigid, half hard and flaccid
    "Life is a [email protected]#^ing story problem, get used to it - my son.

Probably drunk right now

From the Bureau of Redundancy Department...

Unless of course they are using the term fully rigid to qualify they level of arousal. I'm not sure what that means exactly......

Probably drunk right now

D'oh! Faster fingers....

Quote Originally Posted by gpsser
    how about riding rigid, half hard and flaccid
    I need to move beyond the hunt and peck method....

Medium?

What about rear suspension only?

I had a Kawasaki BX-200 BMX bike with rear suspension only, Trek made an MTB in the late '80s, and there was a post last week on this board with a converted Catamount with a rigid fork.

Rigid could be vague. Fully rigid is very specific.

I am the owl
    [rant] if you're not riding rigid, you're riding a hardtail. [/rant]
    Disagree with that statement. A hardtail describes the frame, it makes no reference to the fork. So when someone says they ride a hardtail I have no idea if they have a rigid or suspension fork. My $.02
    SingleSpeedOutlaw .com
    Riding Bikes and Drinking Beer.

mtbr member

me

I just ride a bike.

No relation

I prefer Fully Unsuspended Cycling

Or FUC for short. I am the FUC KING.
    Don't you ever, don't you ever, stop being dandy showing me you're handsome.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

yeahbut...

Quote Originally Posted by riderx
    A hardtail describes the frame, it makes no reference to the fork. So when someone says they ride a hardtail I have no idea if they have a rigid or suspension fork.
    when someone asks you what you ride, do you tell them "a hardtail singlespeed with a rigid fork," or do you tell them "a rigid surly"? i think that these days, it can be fairly inferred that if you say you're riding a hardtail, it's got a sussy fork. i would guess that most rigid forkers would mention that they ride a rigid rocky mountain, a rigid cannondale, a rigid teesdale, whatever. catch my drift?

i'm making an assumption that rigid is notable and when discussing bikes with bike people, it's something that the average rigid forker might feel like mentioning. Assumptions are, of course, highly subjective and often wrong, so for that, forgive me.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

winner!

you clearly deserve the title. the FUC King is dead, LONG LIVE THE FUC KING!!!

Out spokin'
    [rant] does anyone else find the phrase "fully rigid" grating?[/rant]
    "Fully rigid" doesn't bother me. I guess it's because some bikes are "partially rigid."

One phrase that does grate on me is "front fork."

Another is "crankarm." There are "cranks" and there are "arms." There are no "crankarms."

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

I am the owl
    when someone asks you what you ride, do you tell them "a hardtail singlespeed with a rigid fork," or do you tell them "a rigid surly"?
    I usually just say "a Surly 1x1". Unless they are a single speeder they usually don't know what the hell it is anyway!
    SingleSpeedOutlaw .com
    Riding Bikes and Drinking Beer.

USB Rep'n
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus
    "Fully rigid" doesn't bother me. I guess it's because some bikes are "partially rigid."

Another is "crankarm." There are "cranks" and there are "arms." There are no "crankarms."

--Sparty
    Im bothered by the term tire, although I'm not quite sure why.
    though hope is frail, it must prevail - Taj Weekes

betam eh-wud-eh-HA-lehu y
    eh-nay Ityopia!

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

pair of forks?

Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus
    often, people refer to a "pair of forks." or they refer to a singluar for as a "set of forks." if you read the reviews, it's "a pair of psylos" or a "set of bombers." WTF!

maybe i just need to cut back on the caffeine. i got rained out of my morning ride. waaaaah.

Jabberwocky Jockey
    I hear Bob Dole used to ride partially rigid
    Calling out from the Land of the Riding Hillbilly.

www.vassagocycles.com
    www.ntmba.org

My Blog

FUD

Jan 2004

nope

didnt somebody post a pic withink the last week of a klein that had a rigid fork and a rear shock? Im far too lazy to track it down but Im sure its here. that would be a rigid, yet not <i>fully</i> rigid bike.

mtbr member

Like Ernesto said, I ride a bike.

But it is fully rigid. Or perhaps you can say fully suspensionless. Although there is some suspension in the big a$$ Gazzaloddi Jr 2.6 tire up front between the pair of rigid front forks I have. And then there is the suspension in my arms and elbows. As well as the suspension of my legs that are pedalling the crankarms.

And like riderx said... once you tell them you ride a singlespeed, they get that glazed "WTF?" look and everything else you tell them goes in one ear and out the other.

You wanna know what I find redundant? A pair 'o' keet. What the hell is a keet anyways? Is that the plural form for koot? And why would anyone want a pair of them? I think one keet or koot would suffice.

Oh well.....
    A good friend will come bail you out of jail.
    But a true friend will be sitting next to you saying
    "Damn... we fcuked up!"

mtbr member

I just ride a...

when someone asks me what I ride, I just tell them "I ride a bike"

It has a fork, a rigid one. It's got wheels. Cranks. it moves when I make it move. I ride a bike.

If it were a fool suspension bike. still, I ride a bike.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

don't piss me off...

or i'll quit buying rh philips cab sauv & toasted head chard by they case and your little bambino will have to go to a state school!

34N 118W

... and if we just ... nit picky!

turn yourself loose on "singlespeed"

or nonchalant. Have you ever been chalant about something?

Or non-plussed. Or regurgitate. Or flat tire. (no one says I got a flat tube, or my tube went flat and my tire followed).

was fully rigid, now have a hardtail with suspension forks in front. I mean fork. Thing.
    HW
    Last edited by Hollywood; 03-23-2004 at 03:39 PM. Reason: tpyo

Members who have read this thread: 0