Reducing the weight of the Rig- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2009

Reducing the weight of the Rig

I currently own a 2009 rig, great bike but heavy--started out at 27 pounds--currently around 25 pounds 10 ounces. I'm considering going to a SS Superfly, but before doing so wanted to get some advise on how to reduce the weight of my rig. Bike is mostly stock with the exception of The Captain/tubeless tires and I replaced the bar. I'd like to change out the wheelset, looking at some options. I can build the Superfly at close to if not under 21 pounds--but at a price, probably $2500+.

mtbr member
    Your singlespeed is 27 lbs? Sounds quite heavy. Look at some of the prebuilt singlespeed rigs and you should drop a bunch of weight for less than the $2500. I randomly looked up Gary Fisher Rig (ss) at 22lbs and $1500 bucks. If you have another $1000 burning a hole in your pocket, should easily drop another pound.
    Oh sh!+ just force upgraded to cat1. Now what?
    Best thing about an ultra marathon? I just get to ride my bike for X hours!

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    So you googled Gary Fisher Rig (ss), not finding it--but am interested. Thanks Yeah, it's a heavy bike--with no gears.

mtbr member
    Stock frame with ebb comes in around 4 1/2+ pounds on a medium. Wheels are also boat anchors.
    I had mine at just under 24 with American Classic wheels, carbon post, bars. You will easily surpass the purchase price of that bike trying to get it under 23.

My geared Superfly stock was 23 1/2! Easy to get light when you start with a 2.5lb frame.

My Lynskey Ridgeline ss is 22.1. Frame was 3.5 with sliders and seat collar, but it has I9's and Ritchey WCS everything AND a 100mm travel suspension fork! Thus putting it in the clouds above 3 grand to duplicate.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Wheels are as you said boat anchors, my rear wheel set-up as tubeless comes in at 5 pounds--hard to believe. Just exploring po$$ibilities, upgrading or starting over. Regardless of what I do to the rig, the frame will make-it 2 pounds heavier than the ss superfly.

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Already thought of that--

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I figured by your first post, you had a GF Rig, but your second post got me confused. Is that what kinda' bike your talkin' about?
    Livin' the dream.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Yes, I have a 2009 GF Rig, thinking about buying a Superfly SS. What I was trying to figure out in my second post is where to find the lightweight rig that Ali...had talked about in their post. Looking at options of reducing the weight of my rig compared to purchasing a new bike. My bike 15.5" bike stock weighed in at a beefy 27 pounds. I've gone tubeless with 29 x 2.0 Captain tires and changed out the bar, now I'm down to 25 10 oz--I think a lot for a ss. The rear wheel (tire, cog, rotor, rim) weigh 5 pounds.

I ride with tools

Geez - O - Pete !

what is it with peoples obsession with weight? Take a big dump and you've dropped 2 lbs right there. Just go ride for pete's sakes.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    go mount some cyclocross wheels & tires to your bike and there goes 3 lbs right there. If you ride on smooth trails where a bike doesn't need to be durable then thats the fastest way to shave weight. Also, don't use a sus fork. Use a good cf fork. You could also pass on all that beer, tacos, and wings for the next month and shave 15 pounds off your ride.

mtbr member
    If you are going to grab a SSfly; just get that and don't drop and cash on the rig. Sell the rig and put it towards the SSfly.

If you are going to build the Fly from the ground up, buy a good set of wheels for the Rig, then once you have the Fly built, sell the Rig. Best bet.

Members who have read this thread: 0