Redline Monocog 29'er size question...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2010

Redline Monocog 29'er size question...

Greetings!

Just to update, I finally purchased my new 2010 Redline Monocog 29'er and I am absolutely in love! It's a beautiful bike and so fun to ride... however...

I wasn't able to test-fit the size of the bike prior to ordering because there were no LBS that carried them in stock. I got sized on a Gary Fisher and we determine that the 19inch Monocog frame would be just fine for my size. I am 5'11 with a 31inch inseam.

After researching on the Redline Manuf. forum here, there were alot of members with similar height/inseam that chose a 19inch frame as well.

When the 'cog finally arrived, the standover height was a little higher than I expected. I've read that you need at least 2-3inches of clearance, however I have barely ~1 inch of clearance at the lowest point.

Should I sell it and purchase a smaller frame? I almost feel like the 17inch'er will be too cramped for me.

Any thoughts are appreciated!

Bicycle Addict
    FWIW I have a 2007 Monocog 17". I am 5'10 with a 30" inseam and the frame fits well. It all depends on how you feel on it. If it fits then keep it, if you're not comfortable on it take it back.
    The unexamined life is not worth living - Socrates
    Bearded Women Racing

Apr 2007
    I have the same size frame and I'm about your size. Standover doesn't mean anything. As long as you can touch the ground with your heels on both sides, it doesn't matter. And as long as you feel good SITTING ON THE BIKE, you're good to go. 17" felt a little bit too cramped for me.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by p nut
    Standover doesn't mean anything.
    I am really new to biking... but doesn't lack of standover height strongly correlate with the chance of smashing your nuts on the top tube? --- for me that's a rather important aspect of frame sizing.

BTW, I'm 6' with a 19" monocog... how do you measure inseam? I would guess based on pant sizes that I am 31" and I love the size of my monocog.

Apr 2007
    If you're going to crash that hard, you're going to hit your sack no matter what.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I guess I'm just a newb and come off my pedals too much...

With my seat as high as it is (for my knee), when I am on inclines or off camber situations and have to come to a stop I have to come off the seat. This usually happens pretty quick and lets just say I am damn sure glad I have some standover height.

If you get near the top of a 60 degree incline and need to stop, what do you do? I usually just hop forward and walk myself over the top... If I couldn't standover my bike, I would be relegated to falling backwards down the hill.

I guess it might be a question of experience and proper fit...

Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by driver145
    If you get near the top of a 60 degree incline and need to stop, what do you do? I usually just hop forward and walk myself over the top... If I couldn't standover my bike, I would be relegated to falling backwards down the hill.

If any of my friends pulled a noob move like that, they'd get a cleat or two upside the head. Just hop off and walk up like a normal person.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Okay. You're not getting what I am talking about but just forget it. I don't have them time for Internet bickering anymore.

Good luck with your bike OP.

mtbr member
    I'm 6' even with about a 32" (pants) leg and I'm very comfortable on my 17" MC. A friend of mine has an almost identically built 19" MC and I am also very comfortable on that bike, I kind of feel like I am exactly in the middle of the two sizes. Like you though, I do love the way it rides as is. The top tubes are only 0.8" different in length, so I don't think you'd feel cramped on the 17" if you are actually considering swapping out to the smaller size. If the bike feels good the only reason to change is cause you're worried about smashing your junk, which is as valid a reason as any.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    byoo79,I had the same experience as you I ordered a jamis 29er Ht size 19" unseen and when it came in and got to throw a leg over it there was about an inch of stand over room but the bike fit great.I did not buy the bike for technial riding but for xc so my chances of racking myself are slim,If you know what trails you are most likely going to ride than I would say you will be fine plus how experienced you are on those trails.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by driver145
    I guess I'm just a newb and come off my pedals too much...

With my seat as high as it is (for my knee), when I am on inclines or off camber situations and have to come to a stop I have to come off the seat. This usually happens pretty quick and lets just say I am damn sure glad I have some standover height.

I've had times where I needed to hop forward in a quick emergency as I was riding a very narrow trail with rocks on one side and a 2ft drop into a creek on the other. However, every other instance, I'll just brake and hop off to the side to walk the bike and some very serious inclines. Haha, I am very out of shape ...

mtbr member
    I had a similar experience a couple of years ago with a Salsa Ala Carte frame. I was in between sizes and opted for the larger one. Consequently, my downstairs region took a pounding and I sold it after only a month or so. For tech riding, standover is crucial.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by knightscape
    I'm 6' even with about a 32" (pants) leg and I'm very comfortable on my 17" MC. A friend of mine has an almost identically built 19" MC and I am also very comfortable on that bike, I kind of feel like I am exactly in the middle of the two sizes. Like you though, I do love the way it rides as is. The top tubes are only 0.8" different in length, so I don't think you'd feel cramped on the 17" if you are actually considering swapping out to the smaller size. If the bike feels good the only reason to change is cause you're worried about smashing your junk, which is as valid a reason as any.
    Same here, I'm 6' and my 17" Monocog fits me just fine.

Robtre
    I got my wife 5"9" a large 19"? frame Moncog, I wanted it for myself, but Im 6'4". So far I have put a REBA fork in her, ergo grips, and soon I want to put a Chris King headset. Any other suggestions?

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I too have had this same problem. I am 5'10" with 32.5 in inseam (34 pants) I have been riding a 17 inch and it has always felt kinda small, the seat is several inches above the handlebars. I just got a new to me GF rig, and I git the 19in. It kinda feels big, I have around an inch of stand over. My thinking is either bike will fit me, I just need a shorter stem on the 19 inch. I will switch back and forth some and figure out what one feels more comfortable. I think if you just do fairly tame CC riding, you don't need to be concerned about stand over so much. If you do some crazy downhill and jumps and the like, make sure you have some room. In my experience, if I didn't have clipless pedals and my feet slip off the pedals, I will need more like 4-6 inches of stand over clearance, or I will smash my balls anyway.

Members who have read this thread: 0