Redline Monocog 29er regular or Flight?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Redline Monocog 29er regular or Flight?

Has anyone compared the two closely from a components and value perspective? I'd like to get a SS 29er but I want (need) to keep this a sub 1k investment. Strikes me that I could just pick up the regular redline Monocog 29 ($500) and slap some new disc brakes on it and have a pretty similar bike to the higher end Flight model ($900). In other words, is the Flight worth the premium? The only thing that has me thinking twice about this is that the Flight can accomodate gears, should I ever decide sometime down the line that I'd rather run it that way. Having that option seems smart.

And apologies in advance to anyone who feels strongly this should have been posted only to the 29er forum, where it's also posted.

Nice...

http://www.redlinebicycles.com/adult...ocog-29er.html

More nice...

http://www.redlinebicycles.com/adult...ight-29er.html

meh... whatever
    flight is made from higher grade steel and rides much better.
    "Knowledge is good." ~ Emil Faber

mtbr member
    Jan 2007

mba june 07

check out the new mountain bike action. jamis exile 29 vs. monocog flight 29. article gives details on the mf component spec. i have the flight 26 and really like having the adjustment screws on the rear dropout. they're kind of the opposite of tug-nuts. would that make them "push-nuts?" i don't think the monocog has these, however i'm quite sure that they aren't worth $400 either. i've heard also the frame tubing on the flight is higher quality, but i've only ridden the flight, not the monocog. mine does everything i ever wanted it to do, and much more. yours will too. you can't go wrong it's a redline.

meh... whatever
    Quote Originally Posted by neanderthaler
    would that make them "push-nuts?"
    tension bolts
    Quote Originally Posted by neanderthaler
    i'm quite sure that they aren't worth $400 either
    the flights higher price is due to many, many other things such as better tubing, better brakes, better hubs, better rims, better bb, better cranks, better stem, better seatpost, etc.

in fact, the only things the two share are chain, grips, and name.
    "Knowledge is good." ~ Emil Faber

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 0gravity
    In other words, is the Flight worth the premium?

Not to me. I did the A/B comparison. The longer top tube and lack of sliding dropouts on the "regular" one were what sold me. It's a great riding bike - I have no regrets/second thoughts.
    “The only Zen you find on tops of mountains is the Zen you bring there”---Robert M. Pirsig

War machine member
    Quote Originally Posted by 0gravity
    The only thing that has me thinking twice about this is that the Flight can accomodate gears, should I ever decide sometime down the line that I'd rather run it that way. Having that option seems smart.

If that's the only thing that has you thinking twice, you can run a Saint rear hub/der on a bike equipped with horizontal drop outs. I've heard of more than one person doing that with a 1x1. It's blasphemous, but it can be done.

Members who have read this thread: 0