Redline Monocog 29er for a clydesdale?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2010

Redline Monocog 29er for a clydesdale?

Greetings MTBr's,

Been lurking for a while and truly new to SS for that matter.

I am about to pull the trigger on a 2010 Redline Monocog 29er (19inch), however I have heard conflicting opinions on it's ability to support my weight.

I am 6'0 and 230lbs.

I've ridden my older Gary Fisher Wahoo with no problems over the years until it got stolen.

Any insight or experiences for a clydesdale like me? Will also be posting this in the clydesdale forum as well.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    The COG is a much tougher bike than your Fisher. You won't have any issues unless you're taking 3ft jumps all the time.
    26FS & 29Rigid... best of both worlds

Apr 2007
    First, sorry to say, you're not a Clyde. Not even close.

Second, MC, with the straight gauge tubing, is more than adequate to support your weight. Have fun with it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by p nut
    First, sorry to say, you're not a Clyde. Not even close.

Second, MC, with the straight gauge tubing, is more than adequate to support your weight. Have fun with it.
    the clyde forum themselves uses 200lbs as the threshold. I'd say he's certainly a clyde (not as an insult)

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by boomn
    the clyde forum themselves uses 200lbs as the threshold. I'd say he's certainly a clyde (not as an insult)
    no offense taken! Clyde or no clyde, I'm loving the simplicity of a SS bike and I've heard nothing but good reviews of the MC.

Thanks for the replies.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by byoo79
    I'm loving the simplicity of a SS bike

I've heard nothing but good reviews of the MC.
    yep, almost universally liked it seems. I don't think it can be beat for its balance of price and solid components.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by boomn

yep, almost universally liked it seems. I don't think it can be beat for its balance of price and solid components.
    I guess my next question is... where is the best place/person to buy a MC from? I have a LBS who stocks redline but has to order the MC and has a $$ markup for some strange reason. I guess times are tough.

mtbr member
    I guess my next question is... where is the best place/person to buy a MC from? I have a LBS who stocks redline but has to order the MC and has a $$ markup for some strange reason. I guess times are tough.
    this shop seems to be an exception, but Redline only sells through LBS's

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Buy from your LBS. The markup is your insurance policy when something breaks or needs repair. They'll take care of you better if you buy from your LBS. Spending a few dollars more will help in the long run. As far as being a Clyde, as long as your not jumping like a previous poster said and you don't use super light rims (racing rims, etc.) you'll be fine. Any bike will serve you well. Don't dismiss the Hro Mary SS. You can't get me off the thing and I have a Giant Trance X2 that sits and crys every time I go out riding. Enjoy your new ride.

habitual line-stepper
    bummer man. i got my '10 monocog last october less than msrp, even after tax. the shop is pretty dope, free tune-ups and zero attitude. support your lbs!
    Quote Originally Posted by vBulletin
    The server is too busy at the moment. Please try again later.

Members who have read this thread: 0