Redline Monobelt- wheel upgrade questions- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Redline Monobelt- wheel upgrade questions

Hi I have a 2014 Redline monobelt. I love the bike but some of the stock components are pretty bad, mainly the wheels. They are alex comp something or other. They are heavy and I can feel them flex on harder efforts (I'm not super heavy either, about 170 lbs). I'd like to upgrade the wheels to something lighter, stiffer and tubeless. My questions are:

Anyone had a similar situation? What wheels did you go with?

Is there any special type of hub I need for the belt cog and will it work with most common hub designs (sorry if this is obvious I am not sure).

Front and rear are both 9mm quick release, would upgrading the fork and front hub to a 15mm be worth it? I probably can't afford new wheels and a new fork.

Max budget is probably 300ish dollars for wheels. Currently looking at used stuff on pinkbike. Thanks for any advice. Cheers and happy singlespeeding.

mtbr member
    You arent going to need a special hub to run the belt cog on the rear. Any freehub will do.

When it comes to the 15mm axle. Find a set of wheels that can be converted between a 9mm QR and 15mm axle. I know that this is possible with DT Swiss, Mavic, and Chris King hubs and I'm sure there's others out there.

These wheels:
    Shimano Deore XT WH M785 29er Disc Wheelset | eBay

With this mavic adapter:
    Mavic 15mm to 9mm Q/R Adapter | Mavic

This would be a good choice and give you the option to upgrade to 15mm down the road.

Team Captain
    Jan 2004
    Just thought I'd chime in that I've had issues with those mavic adapters, especially if you're looking to stiffen up the front end. A much better solution is to use an adapter similar to this, with a 9mm solid axle like DT Swiss makes. There are also the same type of adapter available for regular 5mm qr.

MTB Tools Mountain Bike 15mm thru Axle to 9mm Quick Release Wheel Adapter | eBay