Redline as 26" Cruiser- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Redline as 26" Cruiser

So I am looking for something cheap to cruise streets, run errands, jump curbs, etc. Kind of a 26" bmx bike for an adult. Does the Monocog fit the bill pretty well? I am new to ss'ing so any help would be appreciated.

King Pin

Smile

The MonoCog is just a bit portly....but hella strong!

Just remember, once you are bitten by the SS/Fixie bug, there's no going back!

Enjoy.

Where's Toto?
    Yes. Only thing better for pub crawling, coffee snatching, and pie chasing is an old Schwinng Cruiser. Redline is pretty good bang for the buck too.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by endure26
    Yes. Only thing better for pub crawling, coffee snatching, and pie chasing is an old Schwinng Cruiser. Redline is pretty good bang for the buck too.
    I like the Kona Humuhumunukunukuapua'a Deluxe.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

hands up who wants to die
    Yeah - I have an 04 Monocog with the cool decals that's set up for that. I bought it a little small (17", and I'm 6'), put a Redline BMX stem and some .243 Racing cruiser bars on it. Changed out the tires for Kenda K-Rads and removed the front brake. I love it!!
    I also went with a larger front chainring, so that I'm running 36/16, which is great for around town.

the Monocog is a nice little bike for a deal, but there are lots of other nice cruisers out there if you want to drop major cash...

-rob

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    rpet - can you post a photo? I am thinking about a similar set up and would like to see what yours looks like.

Sure man. I don't have one handy, but can try to get something for ya tonight.

It's a neat bike for the money, and is plenty trail-worthy too (though I'd throw on a suspension fork and discs, personally).

-rob

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Thanks. I had an OM Flyer a long time ago that I had to scrape the 2nd time I broke the frame and want another SS cruiser/mtb. I already have a high end squishy bike and am looking for the exact opposite so the Monocog seems to fit the bill.

mtbr member
    If you're looking for something more BMX than MTB... SE racing still makes the OM-Flyer, although the company is no longer owned by Scot "OM" Breithaupt. The '04s were cool and alot of shops have some left. The '05s are more like mountain bikes than BMX cruisers. The '04s were going for around $380 I think. A few guys on VintageBMX.com have them and were quite happy. Fairly nice cruiser for the price. Some pics here:

http://www.vintagebmx.com/cgi-bin/ul...=000651#000000

www.sebmx.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I looked into the "new" OM but after having #7 of the final production batch w/the gusseted head tubes, I can't bring myself to buy a "new" one. That said, they are a good bike for the $.

mtbr member
    I hear ya! The old SE Racing and new SE Racing have nothing in common except for the name. It's a shame really. The Fireman's Texas Cruzer frame and fork are welded by Allient, which is Mike Devitt's company, who was Scot's partner at SE. The Fireman's are very cool, as are the Kappas. Both made in the USA. Alot more $$ than a MonoCog though.

www.firemansbikes.com

www.kappabmx.com/k26.html

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I would love a Fireman & even live in Austin where they are located! I may dig up the extra cash. Currently I am going the least expensive route possible.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

26" SS Cruisers

Thanks to everyone chiming in on this. I too would like to see a picture of RPET's ride. I will be gettining a monocog in trade for a cyclocross frame/fork in a few weeks and my idea all along has been to give it a BMX twist. This discussion has brought back memories...I remember when Redline first came out wiht their cromo forks. Back in the days of Webcos, Littlejohn's, Mongooses, and Motomags.

Paul

mtbr member
    I know you mentioned cheap, but in case you wanted to splurge...

Sycip makes the 26" Superboy BMX.

https://sycip.com/bikes_bmx.html

here's the cog

Here you go guys. 17" Monocog.

quick rundown on what I've changed from stock:
    removed front brake
    used, $10 Redine BMX stem (long - 65mm reach, I think)
    .243 Racing bars (steel, heavy - got them from unrealcycles.com)
    Kenda K-Rads (awesome street/bike path tire)
    Blackspire 36T DH chainring
    AC components 16T freewheel (because I had it sitting around and it's smoother than the stock one)
    PC-7X chain
    old Selle Italia Flite

the thing is fast and stable, good for commuting to work or riding down stairs. I'm still learning to wheelie with this high a gear. Biggest worry I have about it is the quality of the hubs. Make sure you check 'em frequently and have the spoked retensioned soon after buying, as well.
    It was cheap enough that I don't mind locking it up for 30 minutes while I shop for groceries (with my 12-pound Krypto chain). If I was going to shell out for something more special, I really like the looks of those Fireman's and the Kappas... but I try to save the big bucks for my serious MTB.
    The 'cog ain't 100% BMX, but with that headangle, the rigid fork and the Kendas pumped up to 80psi, it sure is a tough mofo compared to my MTB with a 5" fork.
    Plus - I measure about 2" of space between my 2.3" tire and the bottom of the fork steerer; so you retro-BMXers out there could put a 26" BMX fork (Kappa, Landing Gear) on a Monocog to steepen the angles if you want to get closer to race geometry.

-rob in Brooklyn

Last edited by rpet; 02-23-2005 at 08:32 PM.

Ha - that bike is total drool-material. I've gazed at those many a time.
    I lust after anything Sycip... anyone riding the Superboy is the kruiser king.

-robinny

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

K-Rads

Quote Originally Posted by rpet
    Here you go guys. 17" Monocog.

quick rundown on what I've changed from stock:
    removed front brake
    used, $10 Redine BMX stem (long - 65mm reach, I think)
    .243 Racing bars (steel, heavy - got them from unrealcycles.com)
    Kenda K-Rads (awesome street/bike path tire)
    Blackspire 36T DH chainring
    AC components 16T freewheel (because I had it sitting around and it's smoother than the stock one)
    PC-7X chain
    old Selle Italia Flite

the thing is fast and stable, good for commuting to work or riding down stairs. I'm still learning to wheelie with this high a gear. Biggest worry I have about it is the quality of the hubs. Make sure you check 'em frequently and have the spoked retensioned soon after buying, as well.
    It was cheap enough that I don't mind locking it up for 30 minutes while I shop for groceries (with my 12-pound Krypto chain). If I was going to shell out for something more special, I really like the looks of those Fireman's and the Kappas... but I try to save the big bucks for my serious MTB.
    The 'cog ain't 100% BMX, but with that headangle, the rigid fork and the Kendas pumped up to 80psi, it sure is a tough mofo compared to my MTB with a 5" fork.
    Plus - I measure about 2" of space between my 2.3" tire and the bottom of the fork steerer; so you retro-BMXers out there could put a 26" BMX fork (Kappa, Landing Gear) on a Monocog to steepen the angles if you want to get closer to race geometry.

-rob in Brooklyn

This is cool. Where did you pick the K-Rads's up? Are they available on line?

Paul in CA

Yes - the K-Rads should be relatively easy to get. I bought them from aebike.com, and I think I paid about $17 each. They are a pretty fast tire for street use, but still have some shallow knobs for when the roads are bad, or if you want to take a quick jaunt throught the park or on a relaxing fire road.

They have a similar (maybe the same exact) tread as the DMR Moto tire. The Maxxis Holy Roller is a similar design too, but those will cost you more.

-rob in nY

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Thanks RPET. That's what I am looking for w/a front brake, more agressive tires and a little lower gears.

Dont get me started on the Scyip....that bike is the she-at but out of my price range right now.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I finally got my Monocruiser built up. It took a while to find a new 04 frame & fork. I used some old parts, borrowed some and bought some new stuff. I really dig it. Thanks for the input.
    Attached Images Attached Images