Red Surly for Japan- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Red Surly for Japan

Alas work has me heading to Japan for 3 to 4 months. No mountain biking there so I bought a red Surly cross-check from Speed Goat to take with me. The folks at Spped Goat rock! Had the parts and frame to me on real short notice. They even pressed the headset in for me witout me even asking. Anyway here it is. I'm not sure I'll stay with the cut off cruiser bars but I figured it was worth a try. Flip-flop hub, fixed 16 tooth, freewheel 18 tooth.

try driving your car less
    Quote Originally Posted by UnoPete
    Alas work has me heading to Japan for 3 to 4 months. No mountain biking there so I bought a red Surly cross-check from Speed Goat to take with me. The folks at Spped Goat rock! Had the parts and frame to me on real short notice. They even pressed the headset in for me witout me even asking. Anyway here it is. I'm not sure I'll stay with the cut off cruiser bars but I figured it was worth a try. Flip-flop hub, fixed 16 tooth, freewheel 18 tooth.
    have fun! i work with some japanese people and they have some funny culturisms. like the time a guy took me to try the dancing arcade game. really nice people, in general. formal, but fun-loving.
    Only boring people get bored.

(was) Big in Japan

What the?

Whaddya mean no MTB in Japan? Do you mean there isnt any, or you cant do any? I live in Japan and ride offroad almost every day. Awesome trails everywhere, even near Tokyo.
    Ride.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Where?

Quote Originally Posted by TheSingleGuy
    Whaddya mean no MTB in Japan? Do you mean there isnt any, or you cant do any? I live in Japan and ride offroad almost every day. Awesome trails everywhere, even near Tokyo.
    I checked the local bike shops and they pointed me at one small trail an hour and a half by train from Tokyo. Tell me more. Where are the trails? Did I get bad info? Email me if you prefer.

law talkin' guy
    Jan 2004

Off-road biking in Japan

There is some good riding in Japan. The June 2004 issue of Bike magazine has an article about mtb'ing in Japan.

(was) Big in Japan

heaps

I guess that the local shops and you probably have a different idea of what is a reasonable distance to travel to go for a ride. If you aren't willing to travel for an hour it may be difficult, but an hour is a short trip in Japan! There is a heap of riding in the Tokyo area, a friend of mine, Matt, posts on MTBR as Kawboy or Kawboy++. He lives near Tokyo and they have a vast network of huge trails, XC thru to full-on FR. A guy who used to be known here as IDM also knows a bunch around Tokyo. Mr Tokyo/aka (I think) The Tractor may help too.

I am a bit far away to have personal knowledge (I live at the base of Mt Fuji, in Shizuoka, 100km from Tokyo), but can try to help put you in touch with any of these, if you so desire!

Good luck, and keep hunting. BTW, the Japanese, while really nice and very friendly, are quite "cliquey", and club or shop rides are big. people tend to associate with their bike shops, it can be tough if your LBS is a roadie shop, I guess. If you bought something, they might be moer willing to have you along.

Cheers,

Chris
    Ride.