Recovery ride...- Mtbr.com
    The perfessor

Recovery ride...

Broke my collarbone in September and should be cleared to start riding again this week, but will need to take it easy while the healing continues......I'll start by riding the SS 29er (yes, rigid) in the neighborhood - we have some wicked hills to climb - before moving onto the trails again......hopefully, be back full-time by the new year.........
    Rigid 29er Ti SS
    KHS Solo One SE 29er
    29er SC Tallboy AL
    Paketa Magnesium Road Bike

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Just an FYI, you are going to be out of shape and it is going to suck for a while!! But if you keep pushing yourself it WILL get better..just keep pushing!

Downcountry AF
    Quote Originally Posted by mr_chrome View Post
    Broke my collarbone in September and should be cleared to start riding again this week, but will need to take it easy while the healing continues......I'll start by riding the SS 29er (yes, rigid) in the neighborhood - we have some wicked hills to climb - before moving onto the trails again......hopefully, be back full-time by the new year.........
    i just went through this 6 months ago. i started on a trainer a couple weeks after surgery, then transitioned to road riding on a MTB, then to my hardtail in the woods. i can say for sure that the front suspension helped a lot. i was pretty lucky and my collar bone didn't really hurt in my riding position. however when i first got back in the woods the suspension really helps take the sting out of bumps.

getting back in shape took a while, but wasn't as bad as i was expecting. i was pretty focused and by the end of my recovery i was in better shape than i was just before my break. i beat my previous race time by more than 3 minutes and won. i was absolutely shocked.

so stick with it and don't risk re-injuring yourself, get lots of calcium, and just keep telling yourself "hill repeats are fun!"
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Hit the pool. No faster way to get back into shape with minimal risk of injury than swimming.

The perfessor
    Solo-x, I love swimming (former RC water-safety instructor) but you limited to not raising your hand above your shoulder the first 6-8 weeks, so yeah, that really sucked......I rode for the first time yesterday and actually cranked 14 miles at a reasonable pace (I was actually passing people); while I was off the bike, I spent some time hiking in the mountains to stay in shape so I didn't feel beat-down afterwards........look forward to riding more this Thanksgiving week.......
    Rigid 29er Ti SS
    KHS Solo One SE 29er
    29er SC Tallboy AL
    Paketa Magnesium Road Bike