Recommend a ss chain- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Recommend a ss chain

I am almost finished with my ss build. I am not sure what goes into a chain selection. I will be running a 20t freewheel on a ENO hub if that makes a difference.

paintbucket
    Sram Pc58
    When the going gets weird its bedtime.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by wooglin
    Sram Pc58
    Thanks. Can you tell me why? I would like to understand what thought process (if there is one) goes into selecting the correct SS chain. 10 speed vs 9 speed, etc.

Thanks.

mtbr member

1 speed

Quote Originally Posted by -kelly-
    Thanks. Can you tell me why? I would like to understand what thought process (if there is one) goes into selecting the correct SS chain. 10 speed vs 9 speed, etc.

Thanks.
    PC-7X, Strong - it hasn't broken yet and the BMX link makes disassembly easy. Nice color too.

(edit) PC-1 snapped at the wrong time, won't trust it again.
    Last edited by pacman; 08-04-2005 at 08:18 AM. Reason: ..

Peace & Love
    I would recommend a non-BMX chain personally (ie, not a 1/8" width). I had problems with true BMX chains on my drivetrain (ENO freewheel , ENO cranks). There are plenty strong chains that are not big ol BMX 1/8" size. The PC-58 (8 speed chain) is a very good choice and common. In my limited experience, I am fond of the KMC Z610HX (i think I got that right). This is a BMX racing type of chain (3/32") so it is burly, but not as overwhelming as a 1/8" BMX chain and my drivetrain likes it as much as the PC58 I ran but I like the robustness more and the color....only about $15 too...or less http://www.aggrobikes.com/product_in...roducts_id=132

Steel and teeth.
    Quote Originally Posted by wooglin
    Sram Pc58
    Ditto...

Never broken one... the powerlink is easy to get apart... strong... cheap... easy to find online and at LBS...

bb

Cubicle Fugitive
    Nickel plated PC-1. Not being gold is a plus (nothing wrong with it, just wouldn't work on my ride). Inexpensive, reliable, easy to use removeable link. I've never had a problem running 1/8" chains on 3/32" gears.

Retro Grouch

My chain rant; one more time

Traditionally single speeders used 1/8 inch BMX chains, since most single speed (SS) bikes are just 26" wheel BMX bikes anyway. Other reasons include the fact that SS track bikes and old BMX bikes had 1/8 inch cogs and chainrings and since 1/8 inch chains looked bigger than 3/32 chains they must be stronger. Also 3/32 (7-8-9 speed) multi-speed rated (MSR) chains are designed to derail, something you don't want to happen on a SS bike. A second look however shows there had been a lot more R&D money thrown at MSR 3/32 chains by Shimano and SRAM, so most 3/32 chains meet or exceed the tensile or "pull" strength of 1/8 inch chains. Since most single speed components available today come in 3/32, it seems logical to use 3/32 chains. On the other hand, while some claim that 1/8 inch chains on 3/32 gears cause more noise and wear than 3/32 chains, the jury is still out on this matter as many more use prefer this set-up. In the real world, it would seem the use of 1/8 inch chains work fine on 3/32 components and some, such as the SRAM PC-7 and KMC Kool chains are stronger.

One issue that comes up from time to time is the use of 1/2 links. The use of a 1/2 link allows you to vary the chain length by 1/2 inch intervals, rather than one inch with a standard link. This comes in handy when you are trying to convert a bicycle with vertical dropouts. 1/2 links are very plentiful in 1/8 inch and now available in 3/32 inch by spicercycles.com and KMC (i.e. AEBike.com).

So do you need a single speed (non MSR) over a MSR chain? No, not really. Is there any advantage to a 1/8 inch chain? Yes, there can be if you have chainline and/or derailing problems a SS chain can help; and as I said before some are stronger. However if you are using a tensioner such as the early Surly Singleator a 1/8 chain may not work.

The tensile strength of a SRAM PC-7 is about 2500 ft lbs and only come in 1/8 inch (and pimp gold); all other MSR SRAM chains (including the PC-58) are around 2023 ft lbs. The KMC Kool chains rate at 2860 ft lbs and come in both 3/32 and 1/8inch. The KMC Z chains (with an H in the model number) also come in both sizes (i.e. the 3/32 Z610H; my choice of chain), rate at 2640 ft lbs and are a bit lighter than the Kool chains. KMC ranks most if their MSR chains at 2314 ft LBS; I have not seen and published data for Shimano chains.

So what chain should you buy? There is a plethora of 1/8 inch chains out there; one of the favorites is the SRAM PC-7 (on the other hand there has been considerable anecdotal information that the SRAM PC-1 (1/8) chain is of low grade and should be avoided).
    . KMC also makes a line of 1/8 inch (or 3/16 inch if you dare) and 3/32 SS chains. They come in various weights and strengths so you pay your money and make your choice. As far as MSR 3/32 chains go SRAM PC-58 seem to be popular with the anti-Shimano crowd as are the KMC chains. Shimano wise any of the better 7/8 speed HG or IG chains will work; The 9 speed and especially the new 10 speed chains may not work with some BMX cogs and SS chainrings.

As a final caveat there is the question of longevity aka "streaching". Regardless of what you hear, all chains get longer with use (I'd call that stretching). There are so many factors that go into this "lengthening", that it's futile to try and rank one chain over another. Just try and keep your chain clean and lubricated and when it has stretches 1/8" over a foot, replace it.

Also checkout http://www.sheldonbrown.com/rinard/chain_stiffness.htm and http://www.63xc.com/gregg/gregchai.htm for some good chain spew.

Single Speed Steve
    Jun 2005

I 2nd that!

[QUOTE=aka brad] "A second look however shows there had been a lot more R&D money thrown at MSR 3/32 chains by Shimano and SRAM, so most 3/32 chains meet or exceed the tensile or "pull" strength of 1/8 inch chains. Since most single speed components available today come in 3/32, it seems logical to use 3/32 chains. On the other hand, while some claim that 1/8 inch chains on 3/32 gears cause more noise and wear than 3/32 chains, the jury is still out on this matter as many more use prefer this set-up."

I would just like to second this. I posted a similar question earlier and decided to swap out my PC-1 (crap, IMO) for a PC-58. It's not broke in yet but I am "happier" already.

JsR
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Never thought too much about chains when used with gears, check for wear and replace when they get a little long, but with SS... trouble...

I've broken everything SRAM has to offer, including the PC-1, pulled the pins out numerous times and cracked plates at the pins.

Wipperman stainless steel... piece of $hit, kept breaking the link plates (in half!!!) and pulling the pins. Half way through the second ride I had repaired the chain to the point that it was too short - #[email protected]*ing had to walk home.

Shimano worked ok for a while, plate cracked at the pin.

IRC, a little better than Shimano.

Changed to KMC chains on all my bikes this year with zero issues, and they shift noticably better on the gearies. They've already proven to be far more reliable than all the above combined.

It's what works for ME.

Yummy
    Quote Originally Posted by -kelly-
    Recommend a ss chain
    Stay away from those ass chains. They're so painful!

Kn.
    I used to be with it. Then, they changed what "it" is, and now what I'm with is no longer "it". And whatever "it" is, is strange and confusing.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Now that is what I'm talking about...

Thanks for the plethora of info. I love to analyze this kind of stuff. Now I need to digest it all. Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by aka brad
    Traditionally single speeders used 1/8 inch BMX chains, since most single speed (SS) bikes are just 26" wheel BMX bikes anyway. Other reasons include the fact that SS track bikes and old BMX bikes had 1/8 inch cogs and chainrings and since 1/8 inch chains looked bigger than 3/32 chains they must be stronger. Also 3/32 (7-8-9 speed) multi-speed rated (MSR) chains are designed to derail, something you don't want to happen on a SS bike. A second look however shows there had been a lot more R&D money thrown at MSR 3/32 chains by Shimano and SRAM, so most 3/32 chains meet or exceed the tensile or "pull" strength of 1/8 inch chains. Since most single speed components available today come in 3/32, it seems logical to use 3/32 chains. On the other hand, while some claim that 1/8 inch chains on 3/32 gears cause more noise and wear than 3/32 chains, the jury is still out on this matter as many more use prefer this set-up. In the real world, it would seem the use of 1/8 inch chains work fine on 3/32 components and some, such as the SRAM PC-7 and KMC Kool chains are stronger.

One issue that comes up from time to time is the use of 1/2 links. The use of a 1/2 link allows you to vary the chain length by 1/2 inch intervals, rather than one inch with a standard link. This comes in handy when you are trying to convert a bicycle with vertical dropouts. 1/2 links are very plentiful in 1/8 inch and now available in 3/32 inch by spicercycles.com and KMC (i.e. AEBike.com).

So do you need a single speed (non MSR) over a MSR chain? No, not really. Is there any advantage to a 1/8 inch chain? Yes, there can be if you have chainline and/or derailing problems a SS chain can help; and as I said before some are stronger. However if you are using a tensioner such as the early Surly Singleator a 1/8 chain may not work.

The tensile strength of a SRAM PC-7 is about 2500 ft lbs and only come in 1/8 inch (and pimp gold); all other MSR SRAM chains (including the PC-58) are around 2023 ft lbs. The KMC Kool chains rate at 2860 ft lbs and come in both 3/32 and 1/8inch. The KMC Z chains (with an H in the model number) also come in both sizes (i.e. the 3/32 Z610H; my choice of chain), rate at 2640 ft lbs and are a bit lighter than the Kool chains. KMC ranks most if their MSR chains at 2314 ft LBS; I have not seen and published data for Shimano chains.

So what chain should you buy? There is a plethora of 1/8 inch chains out there; one of the favorites is the SRAM PC-7 (on the other hand there has been considerable anecdotal information that the SRAM PC-1 (1/8) chain is of low grade and should be avoided).
    . KMC also makes a line of 1/8 inch (or 3/16 inch if you dare) and 3/32 SS chains. They come in various weights and strengths so you pay your money and make your choice. As far as MSR 3/32 chains go SRAM PC-58 seem to be popular with the anti-Shimano crowd as are the KMC chains. Shimano wise any of the better 7/8 speed HG or IG chains will work; The 9 speed and especially the new 10 speed chains may not work with some BMX cogs and SS chainrings.

As a final caveat there is the question of longevity aka "streaching". Regardless of what you hear, all chains get longer with use (I'd call that stretching). There are so many factors that go into this "lengthening", that it's futile to try and rank one chain over another. Just try and keep your chain clean and lubricated and when it has stretches 1/8" over a foot, replace it.

Also checkout http://www.sheldonbrown.com/rinard/chain_stiffness.htm and http://www.63xc.com/gregg/gregchai.htm for some good chain spew.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by K'Endo
    Stay away from those ass chains. They're so painful!

Kn.
    That would definitely be chain spew!

mtbr member

difference of opinion

Thanks for the data. I can tell you that the gold on the PC-7X will come off with enough cleanings.

Do you have the tensile numbers for the Shimano chains? On 63xc the "expert" says the Shimano chains are 'weak' and to be avoided. (article dated 2002)