Recommend a sliding dropout frame that won't break the bank- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Recommend a sliding dropout frame that won't break the bank

I'd love a Lynskey, but I want to stay married.
    So recommend to me a frame with sliding dropouts for under a grand (well under if you can).
    Material isn't that important to me; reliability and a somewhat compliant ride are (New England singletrack). I would ride this frame a lot and race it about 8X/year.
    GO!

(thanks)
    Misfit diSSent ALC SS
    2014 Cdale F29 Team

greedy
    Vassago VerHauen $1049

vassagocycles - VerHauen
    Addicted to the Classifieds

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by have2ride2day View Post
    Vassago VerHauen $1049

vassagocycles - VerHauen
    wow. nice!
    Misfit diSSent ALC SS
    2014 Cdale F29 Team

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I'm assuming you're looking for a 29er frame. Heard good things about Soma Juice. Also there is Kona Unit and Redline Monocog Flight. All at or below $500 range.

I'm just messing with you
    I realize it's nice to have a dedicated singlespeed without any gadgets to make it work, but there's nothing wrong with a Singleator and a conversion kit. Use the rest of the money to buy your wife something shiny and maybe the next time you'll feel confident to go ahead and get that Lynskey.
    Chasing bears through the woods drunk with a dull hatchet is strongly not advised

mtbr member
    Ah, yes. I have two friends who ride these and love them, and a localish shop is having a sale on them. We might have a winner.
    Misfit diSSent ALC SS
    2014 Cdale F29 Team

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by have2ride2day View Post
    Vassago VerHauen $1049

vassagocycles - VerHauen
    What he said, awesome bike

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by longshanks View Post
    I'd love a Lynskey, but I want to stay married.
    So recommend to me a frame with sliding dropouts for under a grand (well under if you can).
    Material isn't that important to me; reliability and a somewhat compliant ride are (New England singletrack). I would ride this frame a lot and race it about 8X/year.
    GO!

(thanks)
    You're describing the On-One Inbred:

On-One Inbred 26er Single Speed Ltd Edition
    On-One Inbred 29er Single Speed LTD Edition

I have two of those and they're awesome.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Sliding drop out and budget 29er bring the Karate Monkey to mind for me.

Of course, my Nimble 9 can be had for $750 new for the frame, it has sliding dropouts, and it is by a million times over the funnest bike I have ever owned.

WillWorkForTrail
    I'd stay away from AL frames if you want a compliant ride. Compliant+AL=failure. Also, don't obsess with sliding dropouts - track ends can work fine, and the Vassago Jabberwocky is about half the price of the Verhauen. Also, don't overlook the Soma Analogue.

I'm currently on the hunt for a new SS frame myself, and I'll say this, knowing that it will cause some people's feelings to be hurt, but I think it has to be said. If you go Ti, I understand if you buy a Lynskey. But if you buy a Lynskey, and don't very seriously consider a Moots instead, it could be a mistake. I think the Moots is probably head and shoulders above the Lynskey, but I haven't figured out how I'd manage to afford a frame from either shop yet.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Vocabulary lesson for the day - sliding dropouts are not the same as horizontal dropouts. On One Inbred and Karate Monkey have horizontal slot dropouts and not sliding dropouts. Kona and Voodoo (and some others) have sliding dropouts.

I'd take a look at the Salsa El Mariachi. Although technically, the dropouts rotate instead of slide...

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Thor29 View Post
    Vocabulary lesson for the day - sliding dropouts are not the same as horizontal dropouts. On One Inbred and Karate Monkey have horizontal slot dropouts and not sliding dropouts. Kona and Voodoo (and some others) have sliding dropouts.

I'd take a look at the Salsa El Mariachi. Although technically, the dropouts rotate instead of slide...
    You're right, I missed that somehow. I still think that one can spend a lot more money and end up with a worse frame than the On-One Inbred.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Another vote for the Kona Unit or Nimble 9. I think the first gen N9 is more likely to be raced than the burlier second gen, so really depends on what the primary focus is.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Check out Ritchey p-29er, meets your price range, light weight, nice looking steel frame with sliders.
    I have had mine for over a year, switched it over to single speed about six moths ago, and I love it.

mtbr member
    I've been riding a SS Kona Unit for about 4 years and it's been a great bike but the Ritchey P-29 is likely going to make my wallet $999 lighter very soon.

MMS
    mtbr member
    There are Voodoo frames with sliders to be had relatively cheap. I picked up a Bokor for a song, it's aluminum but feels great even on the bumpy rocky stuff to me.
    I'm having more FUN than anybody!

mtbr member
    Thanks for everybody's recommendations.

I went with a Misfit diSSent ALC. Likin Bikin in NH happened to be having a great sale on the frame. It had everything I was looking for, the reviews for the bike are fantastic, and I know people who ride them and can't say enough good things about them. I also can move everything over from my Niner. Hope to be on it this weekend.

FWIW, I talked to Niner and they want me to send them the frame for possible warranty consideration. Only rub is that I have to do it through a Niner dealer, so I'll work that out later as the nearest is 2 hours from me.
    Misfit diSSent ALC SS
    2014 Cdale F29 Team

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Pivot Les. Carbon frame that weights 2.5 lbs. The dropout tech Pivot invented is amazing.

nothing to see here
    Quote Originally Posted by aevanlloyd View Post
    Pivot Les. Carbon frame that weights 2.5 lbs. The dropout tech Pivot invented is amazing.
    A) he's already got a frame and 2) he asked for something that wouldn't break the bank.
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevob View Post
    A) he's already got a frame and 2) he asked for something that wouldn't break the bank.
    Yeah, 1) those swing drops ain't nothing new and B) he wants to stay married.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    My bad bros. Peace.