recommend a pf30->bb30 bb (2018)- Mtbr.com
    eri
    mtbr member

recommend a pf30->bb30 bb (2018)

Bottom bracket gravelly. Frame is kona raijin, needs pf30 bb. Using fsa bb30 crank.

Something strange in there now, I think the two sides thread together. Doesn't creak now.

Lots of wet and dirty, some snow. Looking for cheap, low friction and durable solution. .

Its 2018, what do folks recommend?
    the truth is always a gift because it offers the recipient of that information the chance to change the outcome - Grace Choi

eri
    mtbr member
    Ok, so no good answers? You all too hung over?

I was all set to get the Wheels Engineering Threaded Annular PF30 for $99, then $35 for bearing press and 2 universal press bits, then another $22 for a wrench, and $7 shipping. Prolly thats the best bb I could get but total price including tools was $170 or so. Meh... how much do I want it?

They had a blemished abec-3 bb for $20 and it doesn't need the wrench so $62 total and I get a nice press tool, can retire my bolt 'n warsher technology...

We'll see how long the cheapskate edition lasts...
    the truth is always a gift because it offers the recipient of that information the chance to change the outcome - Grace Choi

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Most wheelsmfg Bob's offer the ability to just pop out the old bearing and put a new one in. Like many sealed bearing hubs do. We sell a ton of them at the shop, most have been problem free.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Good evening.

A cheap option is the FSA BB-PF30.
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/fsa-bb-pf30-mtb-bottom-bracket-pf7000-/rp-prod129795

Hope make bottom brackets that thread together. They are pricy, but high quality.

eri
    mtbr member
    Installed my new wheels engineering abec-3 bb30 bottom bracket. This isn't the "thread together" model and it doesn't have annular bearings, but it was $20 because of 'blemishes'. I'll be happy if it lasts longer than a year.

Was quite surprised how bad the old bearings were, after removing the crank I found the bearings were quite well indexed, the inner race didn't want to move across some areas.

Crank and chain now flow backwards ~2.5 revolutions with normal effort, before it was maybe 1 if I tried hard. Bike feels better - smoother and faster - but not sure how much of that is psychological.