recommend me a SS road bike(road frame) under 1K- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2009

recommend me a SS road bike(road frame) under 1K

I need a another set of wheels besides my mtb. i'm looking around for a ss road bike.
    i don't plan on riding more than 15 miles.

master blaster
    raleigh one way
    Quote Originally Posted by ISuckAtRiding View Post
    The dude is like 120lbs, tops lol he can run any tires he wants without issues, i'm sure.
    :D

Off the back...
    Wabi Lightning. Stiff, light, surprisingly good parts spec out of the box. Wabi also makes a steel frame bike [Wabi Classic]. One of the best things about the Wabi bikes is the mellow geometry. They handle really well, not twitchy like some track frames do. Worth a look...

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by pinkrobe
    Wabi Lightning. Stiff, light, surprisingly good parts spec out of the box. Wabi also makes a steel frame bike [Wabi Classic]. One of the best things about the Wabi bikes is the mellow geometry. They handle really well, not twitchy like some track frames do. Worth a look...
    that looks like a decent ride for the money. do you own one?

Off the back...
    Quote Originally Posted by roc865
    that looks like a decent ride for the money. do you own one?
    Yup, I picked one up last spring and rode it until the snow flew. This year I plan to do some longer road rides on it. The price has dropped since I bought mine, and it comes with better wheels now [which kind of pisses me off]. Regardless, it really does handle nicely, and the frame is nicely built. I'd happily buy one again.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by pinkrobe
    Yup, I picked one up last spring and rode it until the snow flew. This year I plan to do some longer road rides on it. The price has dropped since I bought mine, and it comes with better wheels now [which kind of pisses me off]. Regardless, it really does handle nicely, and the frame is nicely built. I'd happily buy one again.
    i saw the company is out of LA. are you from the CA area? i would be taking a shot in the dark if i bought one. sizes are 55 or 58. at 5'11 i'm assuming i would be a 55.

Drinking the Slick_Juice
    craigslist bike with semi horizontal drops?
    "If women don't find handsome , they should at least find you handy."-Red Green

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    redline 925
    surly crosscheck (fixed, ss)
    craigslist conversion
    salsa casseroll single / fixed

Apr 2007
    I love my Surly Steamroller. Also check out Jamis Sputnik. Very nice 853 frame.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Performance Bike SS road frame

I just built up one of Performance Bikes SS road bike frames yesterday and it came out pretty sweet. Have only ridden it on the rollers so far but I like it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Kona Paddy Wagon.

Off the back...
    Quote Originally Posted by roc865
    i saw the company is out of LA. are you from the CA area? i would be taking a shot in the dark if i bought one. sizes are 55 or 58. at 5'11 i'm assuming i would be a 55.
    I'm from the other CA area - CAnada. I bought the bike site unseen based on the geometry. I looked at the top tube length, compared it to my existing road bike [54.5 cm]. I went with the 52cm frame 'cause it has the 54cm toptube. This also happens to be very close to the top tube on my XC hardtails. They also have a fit guide which is pretty accurate. Feel free to e-mail the owner, Richard. He's a good guy and quite easy to deal with.

I'd assume that you would get a 55cm frame. I was going to get that size myself, but I have a shorter torso and longer legs than most guys my height. I have since tweaked the build on mine with a bunch of unnecessary parts [upgrade-itis]. Ultegra brakes, OS bar/stem, Control Tech post, blingy Selle Italia saddle, Race Face cranks, and new wheels. I use it mostly for commuting, but I just couldn't help myself, what with the sale prices on all that gear at x-mas.

mtbr member
    Any road bike and an eccentric White Industries hub.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I'm selling a brand new Kona Paddy Wagon w/lots of nice parts - King headset, Thomson post, Selle Italia saddle, Sugino crank/bb/chainring, 3t bars, etc. for $700. Built it up from a frame kit last summer and never used it. Size 52cm.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I have a SE lager frame. I like it okay. Use it as my bad weather commuter, AKA Ghetto Cross. Can run up to 32c cross tires. No mud clearence, but fine in the snow and slush.

In the summer its makes for a SS/FG commuter/townie and is my indoor trainer bike. Paint is a rattle can job, but will get powdered this spring.

From today:

Frame can be had for cheap. Same as the Fuji track frame

Meat Clever
    If you're a big guy, this is a good deal:

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...9.aspx?sc=FRGL
    Quote Originally Posted by VanillaEps View Post
    A little bit of pee just trickled out of my pipi when I saw that.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    It depends on what type of riding you want to do. I have a Steamroller and a Wabi Lightening. The Steamroller is a blast around town, but for long rides I use the Wabi in single-speed mode so that I can blast down big hills and coast. The Steamroller geometry is a bit too quick for super high speed coasting so I always run it as a fixed gear. The Wabi feels just like a regular road bike.

Linoleum Knife
    Only 15 miles?
    Slicks and a bigger gear.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    maybe it should have it's own thread?

so pinkrobe, about the wabi, how's it for toughness?
    I'm not terribly nice on my bikes, tend to jump down short stairs/etc on all of them, the steamroller's nice enough, but just can't dig on it.
    i figure if scandium's as resilient as it claims it might be the right ticket.

post a pic!! let's see the sparkly lightning!
    If steel is real then aluminium is supercallafragiliniun!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by p nut
    I love my Surly Steamroller. Also check out Jamis Sputnik. Very nice 853 frame.
    Steamroller is 4130 and Sputnik is 631 - neither is 853. I use an older Sputnik as my commuter. It's a lot of fun.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    No one likes the Specialized Langster? I personally dont own one but it seems like a cool and nice bike for the money. I went the craigslist conversion route for the ultimate commuter beater.

awesome
    specialized ss tricross

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rustyenduro
    No one likes the Specialized Langster? I personally dont own one but it seems like a cool and nice bike for the money. I went the craigslist conversion route for the ultimate commuter beater.

I've had my Langster for 4 years, I love that damn bike. Best $400 I have ever spent (craigslist), and it probabaly has more miles on it than any of my ther bikes.
    "A full rigid SS or fixie is 99% rider, 1% bike, and 100% more fun" Monogod

Off the back...
    Quote Originally Posted by byknuts
    maybe it should have it's own thread?

so pinkrobe, about the wabi, how's it for toughness?
    I'm not terribly nice on my bikes, tend to jump down short stairs/etc on all of them, the steamroller's nice enough, but just can't dig on it.
    i figure if scandium's as resilient as it claims it might be the right ticket.

post a pic!! let's see the sparkly lightning!
    Pics of the Lightning - - I don't have any. It's matte black, with black cranks, silver wheels, black post, white seat. It's generally nondescript. Other than the seat, it's probably the dullest-looking bike I own...

Durability-wise, it's fine. I'm not overtly gentle with my bikes either. It has survived several trips to the pub, being locked to posts and trees, falling down the stairs, etc. I've jumped over and off stuff too, but I think the wheels can take most of the credit there. The powdercoat is scuffed in a few spots, but there are no chips or dents of any kind.

I tend to blather on about this a bit, but the best thing about this bike is the feel. It's not twitchy like a road-racing bike or a track bike, but it's also more lively than a cross bike or a touring bike. I can concentrate on traffic, or the blue sky or the horizon without worrying about clipping a pedal through a turn or the front end getting squirrelly if I hit a pothole. It's just... easy to ride.

YMMV

mtbr member

One vote for the Bianchi San Jose!!

I ride the San Jose and love it. It is technically a cyclocross frame, but I ride it mainly on road. It has a flip-flop hub for getting free or fixed quickly. Being steel, I find it has a plush road feel while still being stiff enough to climb quite well.

Members who have read this thread: 0