Recommend me a rear hub (on a budget)- Mtbr.com
    Come see me after class
    Dec 2005

Recommend me a rear hub (on a budget)

the factory GT freehub on my Peace has gone to **** (at least, it's getting there), so i'm looking for a replacement. I'd like to save money by just replacing the hub, and relacing it to my rim.

I found a good deal locally on an AtomLab Pimp rear hub, with all the right specs - 10x135mm, 32-hole. anybody have experience with these hubs? heard anything about them?

what do yall recommend? i'd like to stick with a freehub, and under $150.

Low Rep Count
    I hear the Surly hubs have held up pretty well and are fairly inexpensive. White Industries are not much more than your budget and may be worth the splurge. They aren't a free hub though. There really are quite a few hubs out there that will probably fit you bill.

mtbr member
    Neither the Surly nor the White Ind hubs are freehubs.

If you want to stay cheap, but good quality, you could always just get an XT rear. Well made, rebuildable, and well under $100 new.

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...+Rear+Hub.aspx

They are available in 6-bolt, and CentreLock for discs, if you need. They come with super beefy XT-skewers, and most shops stock basic bolt-on axles if you want a nutted hub instead.

The strength difference on a dished wheel is certainly minimal at best. To me, the worst part is the aesthetic of all the spacers. Serviceable bearings are certainly a plus.

mtbr member
    I agree, XT is a good, affordable hub. You can also get prebuilt wheels with those hubs for super cheap: option 1, option 2

smell the saddle...
    Shimano Alivio = $10 on FleaBay

Come see me after class
    Dec 2005
    can those XT hubs be easily converted to a 10mm nutted axle?

local trails rider
    Is that original freehub rebuildable or replaceable?

I guess Hope Pro 2 is above your budget?
    I've bought a couple wheels built on them, from Chainreaction in UK and they work great (but are loud )

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by alexrex20
    can those XT hubs be easily converted to a 10mm nutted axle?
    Yes, the M756 and older models use a standard threaded axle. I think the newer M775 models use a different style of aluminum axle and are not as easily convertible

HTFU and Ride
    i have a DMR revolver hub laced to my halo freedom disc rims and it works great.

http://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...1&category=731

best part is its cheap $58 and then you can get a white industries freewheel which is hands down the best way to go for single speeding. they are amazing. and ernesto has them on sale right now! http://ernestolube.com/mtbr/mtbr.html

you cant go wrong with this setup!
    Winter is coming.

Come see me after class
    Dec 2005
    thanks for all the help guys! i looked up and down, left and right, inside and out of all of the Internet, and finally bit the bullet on an AtomLab PimpLite SS freehub. it's not light (380g), but it's not too terribly heavy either. and i got a killer deal on it through my LBS.

none of yall recommended it, but i talked to the mechanics at 3 of the most reputable private LBS here in Houston, and they all had good things to say about the PimpLite hub. i hope i made a good choice!

i really wanted to do freewheel, but couldn't swallow the $70-100 price of each White freewheel! i know i can get freewheels for $30, but that's still more than my current budget. i have plenty of generic and boutique cogs, so a SS-specific freehub was my next obvious choice.

Come see me after class
    Dec 2005
    my current rim is a WTB SpeedDisc All Mountain 29er. i don't do anything crazy, and i definitely wouldn't consider myself an AM rider. (but i'm also only a novice/intermediate rider, so a sturdy rim is probably not a bad idea.) should i upgrade to lighter rims or will it suffice for my low budget build?

HTFU and Ride
    the flexibility of the freehub is nice, cant argue with ya there

the atomlab stuff has to be pretty burly for jumping/FR type stuff im sure that will make a nice hub for SSing.
    Winter is coming.

Come see me after class
    Dec 2005
    well, at least it looks nice! time will tell how nicely it performs.

i stopped at a few LBS around here, and the cheapest quote to build a wheel was $35/labor + $1 per spoke. this is a 32h wheel so that's $67. the most expensive quote i got was $50/labor + $1.50 per spoke, or $98 total.

is $67 a reasonable price to have a wheel built for me, when i provide the rim and hub?

Low Rep Count
    Yes, I would take the deal! You can easily spend more on "better" spokes/nipples but it all depends on what you are after.

What is the gearing you are looking to run? It looks like a small driver there! I was originally thinking of going this route on my Peace as well with a set of Fly cranks but you know what happened with that plan. (somehow I became a weight weenie)

Low Rep Count
    I think you should be ok with the WTB rims! Once again, you mentioned you are on a budget. Ride what you got man and replace it when you have to. Don't be like me. I used my credit card to build my wheels now I have about another month before I pay that bill off. Just not worth it. Especially since I am already thinking about converting them to 650b over the winter! You got the right Idea man! Use those WTB's, you will be fine for a while.

Come see me after class
    Dec 2005
    it came with a 12t cog. i am going to run an 18t cog on it; i just haven't swapped them yet. there's NO WAY i could push a 32x12 combo on my 29er! lol

i'm not that much of a weight weenie (yet). i will gladly ride heavier components if they're also stronger and more durable.

Low Rep Count
    No worries man. I figured you could swap out the cog but when I was looking I just didn't see much of anything that was disc brake compatible! I'm happy with what I got but to a degree think I should have spent the extra $100 and just gone with Hopes instead.

Strongbow or Bust!!!!

DX parts + XT rear hub =

Quote Originally Posted by alexrex20
    the factory GT freehub on my Peace has gone to **** (at least, it's getting there), so i'm looking for a replacement. I'd like to save money by just replacing the hub, and relacing it to my rim.

I found a good deal locally on an AtomLab Pimp rear hub, with all the right specs - 10x135mm, 32-hole. anybody have experience with these hubs? heard anything about them?

what do yall recommend? i'd like to stick with a freehub, and under $150.

This:

The Tractor has this hub. Really good story behind me doing this too, because Shimano said that it could not be done, but you can see the end result. It cost a bit more to do, but it was fun building it. I chose a solid axle, but it can be done with the QR axle too.
    Fermented Apple Juice rules!!!!!! BURRRRPP!!

Low Rep Count
    So, did you get it built up yet? Pics?

Come see me after class
    Dec 2005
    not yet. argh!

i'm still waiting for my spokes and a few tools to arrive in the mail.

Low Rep Count
    I hear you on the waiting game. Still anxiously awaiting my cranks! Not that it is really going to change anything for me other than the looks at this point but it will be nice to have them on there! Oh, and I will get back my $150 core charge as soon as I send mine back to him so that will help with my credit card bill for sure!

Members who have read this thread: 0