Recomend a frame upgrade- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2010

Recomend a frame upgrade

I'm currently riding an Origin8 Spy26 frame with disc brakes, 26" wheels, and a 100mm fork. I ride a mix of XC and what I would guess is light AM/"Trail" riding (drops of 2' or so as well as some 6' tall table top dirt jumps).

I have 2 complaints with my current frame: 1) the track ends make taking the rear wheel off and putting it back on kind of a pain and 2) the chainstays are kind of close to each other near the BB so if I want short effective chainstay length/wheelbase I can't run anything wider than a 2" tire in back.

So I'm looking for a SS capable 26er frame with sliding or swinging vertical dropouts, disk mounts, good tire clearance (2.5 would be nice, 2.25 is okay though), and relatively short chainstays. I'm not racing so light weight isn't really an issue. Budget is probably less than $700 for the frame. Any ideas?

mtbr member
    Pace RC325.5 AM Frame Only X large left
    Duct tape iz like teh Force. It has a Lite side and a Dark side and it holdz the Universe together.

mtbr member
    Surly 1x1 frameset may be something to consider as well...does have horizontal dropouts though.

Cormac
    im going to be "that guy" and tell you to get a 29er. butttttt if you are going to stick with 26 inch wheels id go with a surly 1x1. Super solid frame.
    '11 Dawes Deadeye
    '12 Niner E.M.D. 9
    '09 Giant ocr c1
    Xtracycle

mtbr member
    Santa Cruz Chameleon frame here
    Duct tape iz like teh Force. It has a Lite side and a Dark side and it holdz the Universe together.

mtbr member
    After quite a lot of searching, I bought a EVIL SOVEREIGN and put a 140mm fork on it. It has sliding dropouts and a slack geometry. I started with a 120mm and it was also fantastic, I just wanted more squish, so I transfered the 120mm fork to my XC bike. Under $450 at CRC if I remember correctly... I ride the same trails as my XC bike although in a different way. For reference, I ride in the North East, tight rooty trails mostly. I set it up with Easton Haven wheels, E*THIRTEEN cranks and a KS adjustable seatpost. About 25lbs with XT pedals. (2012 XT brakes also! These are great). 32X21 right now.

Cheers,

Johnnydrz

mtbr member
    Give the Soma Analog a look. I am loving the new sliders on the Soma's...

Members who have read this thread: 0