recent convert to mtb+ss- Mtbr.com
    "The Dude abides."

recent convert to mtb+ss

I grew up in a mainly road bike shop, my dad was the owner. I lived off energy bars untill, well, i still live off energy bars. I'm working at the shop now, which is completely dedicated to road bikes (with the exception of some track and cross bikes).
    Recently I got a cheap fixed gear and have been loving it, so naturally when i saw my first SS mountain bike i fell in love. I looked around a little talked to my boss (no longer my dad) who had little to offer other then insults. Long story short, my mom freaked out about me spending money on another bike (im only 17), so i set off to find a conversion (thanks to inspiration from this site).
    I looked at used bikes that I could weld horizontal dropouts on, but had no luck. Then I found it, my unicorn. A bridgestone Mbzip that has been sitting in the shop for 5-6 years. Free bike. I sold another bike off ( to small for me anyway) to pay for new parts.
    The conversion isnt completely finished yet, and i haven't had the chance to take it on any real trails but its rideable and feeling great. Hopefully ill have the chop job done this weekend. 22.5 lbs, $0 dollars, 1 happy customer. Steel is real.

KgB
    SNGLSPD

how bout some insight

I hate to generalize but why are so many roadies such pricks?
    Personally I think all bikes are great,maybe you could get a job in a more open minded shop.
    I've been inside too long.

"The Dude abides."
    ha, ive known the guy for 13 or so years so the insult (it was only 1) was more directed at my ever changing tastes, they all think its a cool project though (cool enough to discount me parts off wholesale, give me the bike, and give me time ), i inspired another employee to get horizontal dropouts for one of his mountain bikes. So many roadies are "pricks," as you so eloquently put it, because the stupid ones tend to not wear helmets,crash, become ashholes, and set a terrible example. Also they have to deal with all the horrible drivers and wobbely bike commuters that plague the roads, im a roady myself and i hate riding with cars and more importantly how bad or drivers they are. There are also the muscle building road riders who ride to get in extreme shape. Everyone knows crazed muscle builders are jerks, they also tend to drown out the less aggresive more amiable chorus of road riders with their boisterous voices and tempers. Finally theres the 70 year old roadie who swears he invented schwinn or micropopcorn. He has been riding the same loop for 40 years on the same outdated bike, he's pissed because he cant find anyplace that carries AME brake hoods or campagnolo leather toe straps and because he is continuously passed by kids on razor scooters who dont have near his experience and thus by newtons first law (which he help to theorize) are defying physics. The old guy makes roadies seem like jerks because he is constantly on the road, occupying numerous lanes of traffic while he looks down to and reaches down for his downtube to shift, and chances are if you see him once in a day you will see him four more times- which should elevate your open-minded criticism of road riders by, obviously, four times. I gotta hold it down for my buddies on the road, the shorts are an insult enough ( although quite comfortable).

KgB
    SNGLSPD

good answer

BTW have fun on the SS
    I've been inside too long.