Rear wheel suggestions...- Mtbr.com
    Ask me how...

Rear wheel suggestions...

Hello fellow SSers,

the time has come to replace the rear wheel of my SS, I ride a Surly 1x1 (no disc tabs) and i've worn out a converted 9spd wheel. I am looking to get something very durable non disc..

I am considering the White Industries ENO, and i've looked at the Phil Woods... Any other suggestions? I know weak link is the freewheel, does it make sense to get a mid-level wheel w/ a high-end freewheel?

Any advice is much appreciated. Thanks!

Q

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    The eno hub and freewheel are both kickass. I would suggest you at least get the freewheel as nothing else even comes close. The hub is a more of a discretionary thing as budget allows. Phils are spendy but undoubtedly some of the nicest out there.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lucifer
    The eno hub and freewheel are both kickass. I would suggest you at least get the freewheel as nothing else even comes close. The hub is a more of a discretionary thing as budget allows. Phils are spendy but undoubtedly some of the nicest out there.
    A hearty "Here, here" on the White Industries stuff. The freewheel is amazing, Soooo smooth and quick engaging. I also think that the ENO hub is great, I've used them (both eccentric and non) for 3 years on a few of my bikes and not even a little bit of trouble. Lightweight, bling, and last forever. The only negative is that it can take a while for them ship sometimes, but it's worth it. If you get a new rim just remember that you don't want an offset (non-centered) spoke placement. Velocity have been my favorites........

i ride bikez!!11!
    Aug 2006
    While I own 3 White Industries hubs ( ) but I'm going to suggest a Surly flip/flop hub. I had a Surly hub prior to my White Ind stuff and it was great, plus it won't break the bank and it will last for a long time. Consider the Surly before you drop the coin on Phil or something..
    Last edited by xmynameisdan; 03-15-2007 at 07:05 PM.

mtbr member
    Im pretty impressed with my surly "new" hub
    Free/Free w/ a suicide on one side.

Members who have read this thread: 0