Rear Tire Suggestions- Mtbr.com
    zeebot

Rear Tire Suggestions

I had WTB mutanoraptor 2.4 race tires put on originally and have used them for the past 4 months. The front tire seems to be fine but the rear is wearing down.

I'm looking to replace the rear with a beefier tread pattern because i get slipping when standing and mashing going up steep hills.

Is there any reason why i shouldnt swap both tires out and go to a smaller volume tire like a 2.1? i originally ran a rigid fork but have fallen in love with my fox 80rlt and i'm hardly ever sitting so i dont feel the larger volume is that much of a benefit. do you get better traction with fatter tires? seems to me like you would since there's more area.

FYI, I will run them with stan's on standard rims.

thanks for any feedback!

34N 118W

... and if we just ... who cares?

where's the freakin' Vicious???

Quote Originally Posted by Spookykinkajou
    I had WTB mutanoraptor 2.4 race tires put on originally and have used them for the past 4 months. The front tire seems to be fine but the rear is wearing down.

I'm looking to replace the rear with a beefier tread pattern because i get slipping when standing and mashing going up steep hills.

Is there any reason why i shouldnt swap both tires out and go to a smaller volume tire like a 2.1? i originally ran a rigid fork but have fallen in love with my fox 80rlt and i'm hardly ever sitting so i dont feel the larger volume is that much of a benefit. do you get better traction with fatter tires? seems to me like you would since there's more area.

FYI, I will run them with stan's on standard rims.

thanks for any feedback!

zeebot
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood
    where's the freakin' Vicious???
    The freakin' vicious is freakin' delayed until the freakin' second week of july. That's probably a good thing so i don't destroy it down in pisgah during the first week of july.

ali'i hua
    if you'd like to stick with WTB and get something with a more aggressive pattern, go with the velociraptor rear 2.1. looks like a tractor tyre and digs in! i know its smaller, but oh well.

don't try this at home
    the velociraptors do hook up the best but the rolling resistance is like riding up a wall.

i'm running the 2.4 mutanos with tread rotation reversed and they work well. it's getting worn tho so not hooking up as well as before. i'm thinking of the epic wolfs as a rear tire but i'm pleased with the mutano in back.

Cold. Blue. Steel.

Pisgah??!!

Quote Originally Posted by Spookykinkajou
    The freakin' vicious is freakin' delayed until the freakin' second week of july. That's probably a good thing so i don't destroy it down in pisgah during the first week of july.
    dude- i live around the corner from Pisgah, in Asheville. Are you coming in the first week of july? give me a shout out- i will bust out my brand new, updated, waterproof (lol) map of Dupont National Forest! Get ready for some mud puddles- hasn't let up in the "piss from the sky dept." in about a month...
    Great micro brews on tap in A-ville as well. Let me know.
    Adam
    Spinning and Grinning...

hands up who wants to die
    try the Mutano 2.24.
    deeper treads than the 2.4.

Or a Panaracer Fire may do you well. the 2.1 is quite skinny though; and the 2.5 is quite big.
    I had OK luck with a Weirwolf 2.5 in the back, too
    A little extra weight may actually help with traction, since SS = out of the saddle.

-r

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Motoraptor

I'm running the 2.24 right now and loving it. I rode the Velocoraptors for years and truly think the Moto is the bees knees for my SS. No complaints on any terrain

theHeadlessThompsonGunner
    I think grips, saddles and tires are something that no one can really recommend for you. Case in point: the Motoraptors (2.4s) are some of the slowest rolling, heaviest-feeling tires I've ever ridden. I've been riding 2.7 Mobsters (over twice the weight, 50d compound, wire bead) for a bit now, and they roll much nicer for me than I could ever coax from Motos.

But, to answer your other question, I think larger tires do offer significantly more grip. They also tend to add an element of predictability that smaller tires cannot. ie, I've never ridden a 2.5 or larger that ever really gave me worries about breaking free in the middle of a fast, drifty corner, but have certainly ridden some 2.0s that worry the sh*t out of me. At the same rate, I've also ridden some skinnier tires that gripped pretty well (Hutchinson Pythons, and Nanoraptors to some extent, but only if the conditions are dry/dust or slickrock - no big baby-heads or the like), but these are fewer and further between.

I wouldn't necessarily recommend going whole hog for the DHer tires, as I've done, and keep trying to get away from (they're so heavy!), but they add a whole other element when the trail turns downward. They're also much harder to spin on the climbs, if that's ever been a problem for you, but I'd guess that's as much because of the weight as because of added traction...
    "I've courted brain damage like some courtesan of darkness."

-The Good Doctor

mtbr member

Anyone else out there using Roll X Pro's?

They have been my favorite all around tire choice since I started SS'ing 3 years ago. They have almost as much actual volume as the Conti 2.3 Vertical Pro (which I also like, but less so) but are still relatively light, sub 600 grams. My favorite aspects to these are great traction and volume. I run them front and rear with good results. The terrain around Austin is always rocky so the only place I wouldn't run these is somewhere that has a great majority of smooth hardpack to the trail because the rolling resistance on these is not class leading. (but not the worst either)

Oh, did I mention they retail for oly $35, and Specialized has a cool satisfaction guarantee on their tires as well.
    Last edited by ATXSS; 06-22-2004 at 07:08 PM. Reason: spelling