Rear SS cross wheel opinions...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2005

Rear SS cross wheel opinions...

I'm getting ready to order a lighter rear wheel for my SS cross bike, Kelly Knobby X that I got off craigs list Earlier in the season to take the place of my decent but heavy older bean green cross check. I just ordered a slightly used front wheel with a vittoria cross tire ultegra hub with DB dt spokes and a open pro rim, so the new rear wheel will be a openpro rim and a silver fw SS 135mm spaced hub. My current rear wheel is a 1x1 hub with a Ma3 rim so an open pro with a paul or white industries hub and butted spokes will save some decent weight. I like phil hubs, good reputation, awesome silver finish, but more expensive and a little heavier than my surly hub. The paul word hub is the lightest, but I'm not sure about the durability of the design or the bearings-I race in western WA it does get wet. The white industries also looks nice and is fairly light, but not as light as the paul, and just $20 more so not too spendy. I use Eno FW's and use a acs FW spanner so changing gears is as easy as a cassette and a good cassette hub, King classic/hugi240 cost a lot more then a good FW hub.

mtbr member
    I've owned both hubs and had problems with neither.

I ran a WORD on a KM for about a year and it was still as smooth as the day I got it when I sold the wheelset. If you are never planning to go fixed, the Paul would be my recommendation. Light and max flange spacing. I didn't ride in a lot of wet weather, but I did fall into a stream and completely submerge the bike once.

I have WI (non ecc.) ENO hubs on two CX wheelsets one of which is 3 years old and the other 2. Again, no issues and they still roll smooth. If you may want to go fixed or have the option of converting to eccentric down the road, the WI would be my rec. Also, the finish on the WI hub is nicer than the WORD.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

thanks for the info PB

Quote Originally Posted by PeanutButterBreath
    I've owned both hubs and had problems with neither.

I ran a WORD on a KM for about a year and it was still as smooth as the day I got it when I sold the wheelset. If you are never planning to go fixed, the Paul would be my recommendation. Light and max flange spacing. I didn't ride in a lot of wet weather, but I did fall into a stream and completely submerge the bike once.

I have WI (non ecc.) ENO hubs on two CX wheelsets one of which is 3 years old and the other 2. Again, no issues and they still roll smooth. If you may want to go fixed or have the option of converting to eccentric down the road, the WI would be my rec. Also, the finish on the WI hub is nicer than the WORD.
    Thanks PB that's the type of info I'm after it looks like the paul hub is about 60something g lighter then the WI. I'm not too worried about fixability since my 1x1 wheel is of the fixed/fee veriety, and will be used as backup wheels for cross racing, or if I want to ride fixed.
    I have raced cross fixed for 2 years, but went back to the FW this year cause even once I got used to racing fixed, I wasn't getting as good of results, wasn't as fast, it was fun though. I guess some of the challege of learning kind of wore off some, and I could tell it was holding me back some-especially on bumpy down hills, though not worring about the rear wheel brake track is nice.
    I'll probably call up webcyclery this week or next to make an order and also ask Kevin or mean todd there opinion as well. I might be able to use it at the last race of the season on
    Dec9th. My front wheel is on the way already I got a open pro ultegra wheel with a vittoria cross tire, slightly used and also with a tube but no qr for $120 through excel, hand built and true should be good.
    It sounds like I probably can't really go wrong with either, but bearing durability will be very important for WA cross racing and some trail ridding

CB2
    Jam Econo
    I have a Paul WORD and fHub. They have held up to wet weather well, are super easy to adjust and work on. The bearing adjuster is just like Campagnolo's newer design.

Members who have read this thread: 0