Rear hub, disc + fixed- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Rear hub, disc + fixed

I would like to build a fixed rear wheel just to try it out and get some variation in my riding. What I need is a rear hub that is fixed yet has a disc mount, since I'll chicken out with double brakes. (It looks silly with an empty caliper and I need to be able to just shift the wheel from day to day without removing the entire rear brake.)

From what I can see Phil Wood has the perfect item for me in their HDK536. But $279 is a bit steep for just trying it out. Does anyone know of a cheaper hub that is both fixed and for disc brake?

I've seen Surly's Fixxer and I have a cheap wheel I could try it on. But it feels like a waste of money if I get hooked and want a proper fixed hub.
    Kelly deluxe - SSWC06 #25

Cracker-magnon
    IF you are brave, you can do the following:

Use a disk freewheel hub, like Surly, Paul, I think On One, and a few others. Thread the fixed cog on with a good helping of loctite, and climb something right away to really tighten it down. Thread on a bottom bracket (old cup and cone type) lockring, and tighten it against the cog.

FWIW I have a hub set up this way(not disk), and have broken chain whips trying to get the cog off
    "Life is a [email protected]#^ing story problem, get used to it - my son.

Members who have read this thread: 0