Rear hub dilemma- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2011

Rear hub dilemma

Currently im riding 2013 Kona Unit with its OEM Formula hub.
    Quit often the freehub is missing a tooth while paddling hard and produce loud knok.
    Should i replace the free hub and stick with the Formula hub or upgrade the hub?

If ill upgrade, do you recommend a SS specific hub or a regular gear hub will do?

I prefer my hub to be:
    * quiet
    * cartridge bearings
    * cheap - Ill find it funny if the rear hub will cost like the bike itself.

Which hub do you recommend and why?

Wanna ride bikes?
    are you sure thats where the noise is coming from? it's hard to diagnose over the internet. have you taken the cassette and freehub off and looked around in there? if not i would take it to the LBS and have them check it out.

if you can confirm that a new freehub will solve the problem, and you are otherwise happy with it, then that would be the easiest and cheapest solution.

a SS specific hub would be best if you only plan to run the bike SS. it builds a stronger wheel. but i don't know of too many cheap SS hubs. Surly makes a threaded one that requires a freewheel. it's a solid cheap solution but makes gearing changes more expensive.

if your planning on swapping hubs your going to need to rebuild the wheel and replace the spokes as well.

I'd have it checked out and go from there.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by baaya View Post
    Currently im riding 2013 Kona Unit with its OEM Formula hub.
    Quit often the freehub is missing a tooth while paddling hard and produce loud knok.
    Should i replace the free hub and stick with the Formula hub or upgrade the hub?

If ill upgrade, do you recommend a SS specific hub or a regular gear hub will do?

I prefer my hub to be:
    * quiet
    * cartridge bearings
    * cheap - Ill find it funny if the rear hub will cost like the bike itself.

Which hub do you recommend and why?
    Do you mean the pawl doesn't have instant engagement? I don't understand the missing tooth observation. I'll 2nd the Surly possibility, I've got new hubs that have given me zero problems since I replaced my stock MUSS wheelset, which had a formula rear. The ultranew are supposed to be less finicky. That said, gearing changes can be more expensive and difficult with freewheels, WI ENOs are the best but do cost. Also, the Surly hub lines up with the outer ring of the cranks, so you may have to be inventive with spacers or not care as much about chainline if you want a bashguard. In any case, good wheels are a bit of an investment but will change your ride for the better more than any other upgrade.
    I don't know why,... it's just MUSS easier to pedal than the other ones.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by dbhammercycle View Post
    Do you mean the pawl doesn't have instant engagement?
    That's what I meant.
    Some times the engagement isn't instant and when I apply force on the paddles it feels like something is slipping. the only possible thing that can skip is the hub, both the cog and the chain-ring are NW.

mtbr member
    It will be hard to find a freehub or freewheel with instant engagement that's cheap. Also, the more points of engagement the louder the hub can be. In addition, you will have to rebuild the wheel with a different hub and that's not usually cheap, unless you are willing to put in time to build it yourself. I would just try to time the engagement, similar to how you might set yourself up to clear a log.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    The issue isn't the slow engagement (although it would be a nice upgrade), the issue is that occasionally the hub make a loud "knak" and there's a slight skip before the engagement.

mtbr member
    If you were happy with it previously and this is new issue, have it checked out at your LBS. If the hub is toast I'd upgrade, but I'd try to find a hub with similar flange measurements so you don't have to replace spokes. The LBS should help with that.

Wanna ride bikes?
    or just bite the bullet and get a Hope SS hub. steel freehub, bolt on, serviceable, high engagement, bling, good quality at a reasonable price. if your going to do it, do it right the first time.

Hope Pro 2 Evo Rear Hub - Single Speed-Trials | Chain Reaction Cycles

if you spend a little more up front you can swap cogs a lot cheaper and have plenty of chainline adjustability. pays off in the long run. something to think about as opposed to a White Industries freewheel for $100 each.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I have run a DMR revolver hub on my SS for a few years. That being said, I just dropped off a wheel with the Hope Pro 2 hub at the lbs for building.

mtbr member
    Are you sure it wasn't chain skip. Chains and gear teeth wear out. I just changed a freewheel and chain on geared rig and it straightened out the skipping problem. They may come to that conclusion at your LBS. I haven't had a problem on the two SS rigs I have had, but I have been told that the chain will stretch then wear the gears.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I've had this happen with my Formula hub. I don't think the engagement mechanism is the best. That said, you might be able to open up the free hub, clean out the old grease and regrease it and restore a more positive engagement. I never serviced mine, but it also didn't do that when new and was getting worse with age.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I had a Formula on my El Mar. Complete rubbish. I'd say divorce yourself from it ASAP. You cannot open it and service it and they are not reliable. If you stick with it, the SS freehubs are hard to find, but are OEM on Redline, some Bonty, Salsa, etc, if that helps. That hub is a liability.

Clyde on a mission!
    Dec 2011
    I've used the Formula hub on my Unit for 4 years or so and never had it skip, despite the fact that I'm a 280'ish lbs guy that like to stand and mash. At some point the dust cap on the drive side broke and fell off, so I packed the end with grease and kept riding while waiting for parts for my new wheel.

I built a new wheel with a Hope Evo Pro 2 SS hub, but the loud hub annoyed me like hell. I rode it for a month or so, hoping the noise would eventually grow on me, I tried adding grease to quiet it down somewhat, but still annoyed me.

I ended up switching back to riding the original wheel with the Formula hub. Once/if the Formula hub dies, I'll build another wheel based on a nice, quiet Shimano hub, maybe use the Hope wheel in the meanwhile to annoy me into getting the Shimano wheel built in a hurry..

So for cheap, quiet and cartridge I would go for something mid-range Shimano.

nothing to see here
    Got the same bike and hub. Rubbish hub. Replace it. Hope is loud but reliable. Maybe try a Surly Ultra New hub with a shimano freewheel if you're set on your gear ratio. White Ind freewheels are good but a little loud, although I reckon the sound is sweeter than a Hope freehub.
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013

surly new ultra with wi trials 20t

Quote Originally Posted by Stevob View Post
    Got the same bike and hub. Rubbish hub. Replace it. Hope is loud but reliable. Maybe try a Surly Ultra New hub with a shimano freewheel if you're set on your gear ratio. White Ind freewheels are good but a little loud, although I reckon the sound is sweeter than a Hope freehub.
    Wow! just goes to show that everyone suffers from the same thing. We can't stop messing with our bikes I have a surly new ultra hub set with wi trials and am thinking about the Hope. haha not that I've had a lick of trouble with mine but like everyone wheelsets use the same mathematical formula N+1. I want the Hope "just cuz" or possibly a Profile Racing.

Agreed that the stock hub sucks. Everytime I switch bikes with another SS rider I about go over the bars on the first pedal. High engagement is a must!

mtbr member
    Paul Components rear hub with a White Industries freewheel. You will never go back to a cassette hub on SS.