Rear Cog/Cassette durability concerns- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Rear Cog/Cassette durability concerns

Hi all

I am currently building up a rigid single speed for trail riding with two goals in mind
    1) Very Cheap.
    2) Strong. (I am using an '05 Kona stuff frame and Surly Instigator fork)

I am looking at the single speed conversion kit from Misfit Psycles which uses a 20t rear cog. It looks good, but I've got a question for you 'core singlespeeders...

Ok, so I've heard alot of good things about Surly Cogs, Chris King Cogs, and others because they are wide at the base of the cog. It seems that this wide base prevents the cog from digging into the cassette splines on the wheel. However, these cogs are expensive for me. Has anyone had extensive experience single speeding with a normal width cog from Misfit Psycles, Nashbar, a cannabalized cassette, Gusset, etc? Do those narrow cogs really destroy the cassette splines on the wheel hub? I just don't want to do any permanent damage to my wheel by using a greatly inferior cog.

Thanks alot!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

if you're running a steel freehub body...

don't worry about it. a wide base is a necessity for an alloy freehub but on a steel one you shouldn't have much of a problem. if you do, it'll probaly take a long time to develop and a replacement freehub for most hubs is less than $30 which is about what nicer cogs generally cost.

that being said, i consider the 30 bucks i spent on an endless cog money well spent. super round, super smooth, and, after a year, seems to be wearing fairly well.

ps. don't use a cog from a cannibalized cassette. they tend to skip in my experience. the ones from nashbar et al. are cheap enough, invest the 5 bucks.

mtbr member
    a shimano DX style cog will be fine, just dont run a single cassette cog taken from a cassette.i run the gusset single speed kit on my road bike and love it, i also used to use it on my trials, no digging with the cog they provided (which is like a shimano DX cog)

mtbr member
    Well, the steelhub body is steel... so I guess I'm safe then.

mtbr member
    I'll have to post pics of my buildup when its closer to completion. My normal ride is a specialized enduro with freeride wheels and e13 and I want to take my singlespeed on the same trails, albeit slower. Hence the low 32:20t gear combo for tech and the heavy duty frame and stuff. I'll probly put a pretty short stem on the bike also.

Members who have read this thread: 0