Really mad at Bianchi right now.- Mtbr.com
    Haphazard Adventurer
    Apr 2010

Really mad at Bianchi right now.

So I bought this sweet looking SASS about a month ago now. Rode it to class yesterday and it was wet out, no big deal. Today I was tightening the chain tension and noticed a small amount of rust near the rear drop outs. Turns out there are welds missing! the rear dropout bracket is only welded on one side of the chainstay! Now there is a small crack from the uneven torque I suppose. I bought the bike second hand, do you think bianchi will fix it or should I take it to someone who can weld it?

Im really frustrated, this is my first "nice" bike and its failed me.

Haphazard Adventurer
    Apr 2010

its only welded on 3 of the 8 vertices. you can only see 2 of the not welded places here.

kinda hard to see but none of these three are welded.
    Last edited by subafly; 04-28-2010 at 03:44 PM.

All 26.5" all the time!
    Looks like a brazed joint. Has the dropout actually pulled out of the chainstay?

Haphazard Adventurer
    Apr 2010
    no it hasnt pulled out yet. its brazed on one side and there is a small crack just in front of the braze.

mtbr member
    Subafly, when Zanetti said it is brazed, that means it isn't welded. It's a different way of bonding the dropout.

Brazing is when another metal is melted into the gap between two pieces of steel. They typically use brass to braze most steel frames. More than likely, this is not meant to have been welded. many steel frames have brazed on dropouts.

Brazing is generally as strong, if not stronger than welding. Filet brazed and lugged frames are brazed throughout, and can last a very long time.

All that being said, the dropout probably isn't missing any welds. But the brazing could be failing, if the dropout appears to be coming loose. However, most frame companies only honour warranty to the original purchaser. Bianchi may help you out though, so it's worth contacting them before getting too angry.

Maybe someone else with a well used SASS can chip in as to how their dropouts look. (Maybe I'm way off base and they are welded dropouts)

mtbr member
    Oh yeah, with a chromed frame, it could also just be the chrome that has cracked, and not the underlying steel (although I seem to remember more than a couple cracked stays on the SASS, but I could be wrong). That would explain the rust.

Haphazard Adventurer
    Apr 2010
    Thank you for the thoughts,
    I know brazing is different from welding. The red lines indicate where there is no brazing at all as it appears to me. The other side of the bike has brazing all the way around. The guy I bought this bike from only put about 30 street miles on the bike. I have probably doubled that since I got it, on and off road. It really looks like it never got brazed at all.

I looked on the bianchi web site and could not find an email or phone number.

Retro Grouch
    Yes you do have a problem there. I looked at my SASS and indeed your SASS has defective welds/brazes. I doubt Bianchi would "fix" it, but there's a good chance they will replace it with a newer frame. Most bike makers have a non-transferable warranties, however in obvious cases of a defective construction, they are liable if it causes an injury. Find an LBS that sells Bianchis and see if they'll send in frame for a warranty.
    Just one more rep and I get the toaster!

Haphazard Adventurer
    Apr 2010
    Sorry whats an LBS? some sort of distributor?

Haphazard Adventurer
    Apr 2010
    thanks everyone for your quick replies. I really appreciate it. If I cant get a new frame could it be rebrazed? Seems like you would have to get all the chrome off first.

Apr 2007
    LBS = Local Bike Shop

Teen Wolf
    good luck. bianchi has pretty much let go of their singlespeed line (minus the sok) so who knows what they will say about repairing it. i'd be willing to bet you are SOL

jdg
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Sure, it can be repaired.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Loved my old GUSS but ever since Sky left, there SS roots went with it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SSSasky
    Bianchi may help you out though, so it's worth contacting them before getting too angry
    Best point yet. Don't get angry at Bianchi until you've at least given them a chance to fix the issue or even know about it.

Haphazard Adventurer
    Apr 2010
    I guess Im more upset that a defect like that could slip through. Im sure it doesnt happen very often. Its disappointing, especially since its my first bianchi, and I had high expectations of the company. oh well, we shall see what happens.

Low Rep Count
    I would definitely contact them directly and shoot them an email with pictures of it. I would shoot pictures of both sides so they can see the difference. As stated above, see if you can locate a Local Bike Shop that carries Bianchi and see what they say. I can say that alot of companies will blow you off if you aren't the original owner but as stated, this is obviously a factory defect and not something that you did while riding it.

I first saw that you were in Washington and I got excited but then realized it was not D.C. A long time friend of mine opened up a shop not too long ago out here in MD and he is a Bianchi dealer. Let me know if you run into any problems tracking down phone numbers or something. I can surely put you in contact with my friends/shop and he can maybe give you a hand or put you in contact with someone.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cr45h
    i'd be willing to bet you are SOL
    don't you mean SSOL
    Quote Originally Posted by thefuzzbl
    aluminium has a tendency to fail when you need it most. i.e. you end up with a bad day.

mtbr member
    It is always disheartening to hear about a situation such as yours, but it is a STEEL frame and, as such, should be able to be repaired by a capable welder. Are there any framebuilders in your area? Set up a time to run the bike by and see what cleaning and rejoining the tubes/dropouts would run you. You may be surprised at how little it will cost compared to a new frame.
    Barry

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Go post in the frame building section and find out if there is a local builder in your area. Sorry but your going to take off some of the chrome to get the braze to stick.

Tim

Haphazard Adventurer
    Apr 2010

Not so mad anymore

I found the original recipt so Im going to see if I can get a new frame frome Bianchi, we'll see how that goes. otherwise there is a guy in town who can fix it up for 30$. Probably less than shipping on a frame!

mtbr member
    What does the other side look like? Is there any visible brazing material the gaps that you have stated that there is no weld. I ask this cause when some bike's ( or other metal items ) are massed prouduce the brazing technique will leave a different fillet as compared to another type of brazing. Example is that on your frame they insert the brazing material in the tube prior to assembly and then heated the tubing allowing the material to flow from the inside out. Which leaves a very small weld fillet. While some some dry fit the pieces and then heat the material then apply the brazing material. Of which the later will produce a much more noticable weld "seam". Most custom frame builders use the later process most of the time. If they chose to braze the frame. And if
    I remember right the first method is the best for high stress brazing.
    So the point is the frame is really in no way "weakend" by this. If it was it would of seperated and broken by now. IMO I wouldn't touch it, the crack just might be the chrome. But if you want to rest easy try to stick a fealer gauge into the gap's if it goes in all they then get it rebrazed. But other than that I wouldn't worry to much over it.
    Last edited by REDGT; 05-01-2010 at 05:48 PM.

Members who have read this thread: 0