Ready to go, go, go!- Mtbr.com
    Sofa King We Todd Did

Ready to go, go, go!

After a rather frigid winter, I think most of us are eagerly awaiting the first day of spring. Just in time, too, as I've just got done tinkering around with the bikes. They're all done up, peppered with new parts here and there and ready for lots and lots of riding as the weather warms up soon!

I finally got a fork with the right length for the Inbred, a 105mm MX Pro. Riding around with the rather short Kona Project 2 fork just wasn't cutting it. I've also put the Fleegle handlebar on, though I'm still tinkering with the proper setup of that bar. Best part of the bike is what's bolted onto the bottle cage bosses - a Spaceman flask holder for my Surly flask. I figure that one bottle on a ride is pretty much useless to me anyhow, so I might as well use the space for something a little more substantial.

The old school Trek 950 got converted back for road duty. 26" wheels, Midge bars and v-brakes came off. 700c wheels (with slicks), moustache bars with some Cane Creek SCR-5 levers, and long-reach road brakes got slapped on. I think I'll use this bike for the NYC 5 Boro ride come May. The 48x20 gearing should give me a decent cruising pace.

The Surly 1x1 conversion into a 29er is finally complete. To fit Maxxis Ignitor tires, I had to move the rear wheel back by a bit, which meant swapping out the 22T rear cog to a 21T cog. As you can see, there's just enough clearance. I expect this bike to get a totally unfair share of ride time!

Certainly, I couldn't enjoy having all sorts of tasty new parts on my bike and kick wifey to the curb, could I. So, I gave wifey's bike a bit of flash - a new pink chain to match the rest of the bike's scheme. My thanks go to Nat for posting about these colored chains! Sorry, the cruiser isn't exactly a singlespeed - it uses a 3-speed Nexus hub - but what the hell.

So there. All primmed and ready to go. This is going to be a GREAT season of riding!

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    SpinWheelz,
    Have you had the 1x1 out on the trail?? Cool idea for doing 29 on the cheap, but I feel the need to share personal experience.
    I took my fork legs out of my 1st gen manitou, and inserted them a hair deeper than before. Everything was fine until I came down Porc Rim, and my tire buried into my fork arch. Be careful running that little clearance on the tire/fork. The tire will deform at speed, and to have it go to a stop and hit the ground would really......................it would be bad.

Nice Inbred BTW; is that a zoke on the front?

C.

The Surly 1x1 conversion into a 29er is finally complete. To fit Maxxis Ignitor tires, I had to move the rear wheel back by a bit, which meant swapping out the 22T rear cog to a 21T cog. As you can see, there's just enough clearance. I expect this bike to get a totally unfair share of ride time!

Sofa King We Todd Did
    I have not taken the 1x1 out on the trail with these tires yet. I have, however, ridden the bike a fair amount when it sported Panaracer Fire Cross 700x45c tires - those tires are incredible. I was inspired to try the Ignitors after seeing pics of other 1x1s sporting them.

I understand what you're saying on the crown clearance of 29er tires. However, since this is a rigid fork that I'm running - and not a suspension one - I'm not overly concerned about having the tire wedged in the crown. I really, really love the geometry of the 1x1, so I'm not particularly keen on putting a longer rigid fork on there. Right now, I just sit a bit higher, off the ground, that's all - everything else is as it seems. In any case, I'll give it a shot - if it doesn't work out, the Panaracers are brilliant tires to return to.

And yeah, that's a Marzocchi MX Pro on the front end of that Inbred.

Large wheels & one gear
    Nice bikes! It's mind boggling to see that you are waiting for riding weather and we here in southern Arizona (Phoenix) will have to start night riding in a couple months because of the heat (our off season).
    Anyways, Nice 1x1. I havn't tried mine as a 29'r yet. Looks like you are really sitting "in" the bike. Probably handles great.
    I Never Apologize............I'm Sorry, That's Just The Way I Am.

Feet back and spread 'em!
    May 2004

interesting option.

how's the toe overlap with the 1x1-29er?

Sofa King We Todd Did
    No toe overlap on this size 16 1x1, mate.

Now I'm off to look for some skinny but knobby cyclocross tires for that Trek. My work is never done!

Members who have read this thread: 0