Rant- Mtbr.com

Thread: Rant

mtbr member

Rant

I've been known to piss people off with assertive self confidence.
    Sorry in advance.

3: Ride bars that fit your shoulders. Wide bars are stupid and beat your shoulders up.
    2: Ride cranks that fit your legs. Long cranks are stupid and prevent a smooth spin.
    1: Ride a gear that fits your strength. Tall gears are stupid and kill your knees.

Okay...said it. So there.
    -Marshall Hance
    EndlessBikeCo.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sideways
    Sorry in advance.

3: Ride bars that fit your shoulders. Wide bars are stupid and beat your shoulders up.
    2: Ride cranks that fit your legs. Long cranks are stupid and prevent a smooth spin.
    1: Ride a gear that fits your strength. Tall gears are stupid and kill your knees.

I'm having too much stupid fun to care.

mtbr member

I have 27" bars, 180mm cranks and run 33X16...

I must be either be stupid, or big and strong...
    I have 2 SS's, one has big boy wheels and I'm stupid enough to ride them both rigid...
    Thanks for setting me straight, I must be really bored to answer this post...
    Go pick on the fixed gear crowd next time
    ' Bend's dirtiest Acupuncturist '

bendoregonsinglespeeders

teamwebcyclery

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

I wouldn't call it assertive self confidence

More like condescneding judgments.

Good way to make friends and sell cogs!

Cheers to you.
    -Richard

Sorry in advance.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Sorry in advance.

I think ANY straight bars beat up your shoulders, elbows and wrists but I do not rant about it. I will explain if asked (some of the time).
    If the cranks fit your legs and you can spin them they are not (too) long. I can spin 185 & 190s. 195s are a bit long. 175 feels stupid short on my road bike.
    Well, DUH! Not just your strength but also the terrain.

Use the gear that works for you.
    Use the crank length that works for you.
    Use the bars that work for you.

What works for me is 60 cm flared dropbars, 185-190mm cranks and a 40-46 inch gear.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Recovering couch patato
    Someone once came up with the idea that bar width should not be more that shoulder width. That idea was so simple, many people decided to considerer is a wisedom more easily and with less reservation than from any history book or bible, etc.
    This implies arms that hold the bar at a 90 angle. Nice, but why? Might make sence with a stick-shaped bar, but is that a wiseful shape anyway? Wide and los of backsweep for me!

If a tiny Miguel Martinez can win Worlds and such on 175mm's, I can ride well over 200mm, all in proportion, you see. And then I didn't even figure in singlespeeding.

I try to find a gear that doesn't spin me out, and gets me up most climbs. If the ride ends up to be mainly spinning and walking, I took the worng bike fro the ride, and could do with a few spare gears.
    Klok - XC - Skate - Ski

mtbr member
    I've been known to piss people off by pointing out how asinine their posts sound.
    Sorry in advance.

3: Ride frames from a company that posts the specs on their website. Riding a frame from a company that is on it's third batch but still doensn't have specs on their website is stupid and prevents customers from wanting their product.
    2: Ride steel cogs. Alloy cogs are stupid and don't have an acceptable life span.
    1: Ride whatever the hell you want. People who throw their opinion off on other riders who might be more experienced then they are stupid.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Go Kart Motzart
    I've been known to piss people off by pointing out how asinine their posts sound.
    Sorry in advance.

3: Ride frames from a company that posts the specs on their website. Riding a frame from a company that is on it's third batch but still doensn't have specs on their website is stupid and prevents customers from wanting their product.
    2: Ride steel cogs. Alloy cogs are stupid and don't have an acceptable life span.
    1: Ride whatever the hell you want. People who throw their opinion off on other riders who might be more experienced then they are stupid.

Thanks. Very well put. Especially #1.

(ff)

Where's Toto?
    Ride a bike that you're comfotable riding. Get fitted to a position that suits your body and riding style - your's is the only one like it. If you're comfortable, you'll ride your bike and and enjoy it more. Don't worry what anyone else thinks - if you're comfotable and happy on your bike - ride it. Die happy.

Where's Toto?
    Think Miguel Martinez was also using canti- brakes. How is that possible. Aren't discs and V-'s better? Faster? Hummadahhummaduh?

Must of had something to do with his training. Hmmmmm.

I'm feeling dirty, you?
    Your point sideways?
    We're not that stupid you know.

But Cloxxi you're special... you're hell taller than most people especially me. 200mm for you are like 170mm for me.

mtbr member
    Seriously, I hear so much rediculous crap at my day job as head wrench downtown Asheville when people ask me about getting into single speeding that I feel like its only possible source was the internet.

From my experiance, folks new to singlespeeding seem to get hung up on this perfect integer relationship between their chainring and cog, that they start trying to improve the mechanical advantage of parts that are critical to fit. Cart before the horse.
    In the event that it wasn't noticed, if you are midful of your set up, then what I am ranting about goes without saying. On the other hand, If you are riding a gear that's too big to push without injury, then that's no way to enjoy cycling for years to come.

Go kart: Am I allowed to have both opinions and a bike company? It has never seemed to be the case. 3:The specs have been on the website from day one until this past Thursday when I set up the new site. In that timespan the frames have been in higher demand than I could have ever hoped for. 2:I've been on a prototype alloy cog all winter with all sorts of nasty wet Pisgah grit and long steep climbs. It's doing better than any cheap steel cog I've used before, looks great and saves weight. 1:I've been riding for nearly 15 years, so yes there are people who have been riding longer....but I doubt they give a rats ass what I have to say about bike fit. Ya just figure out what works for yourself after awhile. You can remember all the mistakes you made when first getting into cycling, right? Running too big a gear seems to be a common one with these days with this rapidly growing single speed thing.
    -Marshall Hance
    EndlessBikeCo.

mtbr member
    Sorry in advance.

E: I ride the widest I can find
    N: I ride only 175mm cranks, because I don't want to change
    O: I ride whatever gear I want. If I can't ride up a hill, I walk it. I also shave my armpits.

Nat
    mtbr member
    Am I allowed to have both opinions and a bike company?
    Yes, of course, but don't be alarmed if your opinions negatively affect your sales.

Nat
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cloxxki
    Someone once came up with the idea that bar width should not be more that shoulder width.
    I think that concept came from road bikes anyway. Has anyone tried to grind up a singletrack with his hands at shoulder width lately? When I hold my arms straight out forward, my fists are only about 10"-12" apart. No thanks!

mtbr member
    a gear that's too big to push without injury
    is that even possible?

The old "SS is bad for your knees" thing just *isn't* true in mine, and lots of other peoples experience.

Infact I know one guy that was told to ride SS *TO* improve his knee strength.

Me? I just like riding bikes.

mtbr member

did wonders for my knees

Well, after knee surgery in 2004, the Doctor was wanting to go back and scope my knee again...long story short started SSing and experienced a little tendernous @ first in the knee...
    7 months later...my knee is great, I crank up hills, and I developed these little mucsles called calves...not that none of this couldn't be done on a geared bike but I love it and it is rad!!!! Oh yes, I am stupid and have to shave my palms weekly.

mtbr member
    Seriously, I hear so much rediculous crap at my day job as head wrench downtown Asheville when people ask me about getting into single speeding that I feel like its only possible source was the internet.

From my experiance, folks new to singlespeeding seem to get hung up on this perfect integer relationship between their chainring and cog, that they start trying to improve the mechanical advantage of parts that are critical to fit. Cart before the horse.
    In the event that it wasn't noticed, if you are midful of your set up, then what I am ranting about goes without saying. On the other hand, If you are riding a gear that's too big to push without injury, then that's no way to enjoy cycling for years to come.

Go kart: Am I allowed to have both opinions and a bike company? It has never seemed to be the case. 3:The specs have been on the website from day one until this past Thursday when I set up the new site. In that timespan the frames have been in higher demand than I could have ever hoped for. 2:I've been on a prototype alloy cog all winter with all sorts of nasty wet Pisgah grit and long steep climbs. It's doing better than any cheap steel cog I've used before, looks great and saves weight. 1:I've been riding for nearly 15 years, so yes there are people who have been riding longer....but I doubt they give a rats ass what I have to say about bike fit. Ya just figure out what works for yourself after awhile. You can remember all the mistakes you made when first getting into cycling, right? Running too big a gear seems to be a common one with these days with this rapidly growing single speed thing.
    Internet for advice? Better than my LBS who wants to sell high margin road and FS bikes and parts.

You are an enabler. If you want to save knees then don't sell 15T cogs! BTW what cog and chainring sizes did you test with?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pacman
    Internet for advice? Better than my LBS who wants to sell high margin road and FS bikes and parts.

You are an enabler. If you want to save knees then don't sell 15T cogs! BTW what cog and chainring sizes did you test with?
    36-15 for street, 28-21 for trail.
    Yes, I am an enabler. Big cogs rule!
    -Marshall Hance
    EndlessBikeCo.

try driving your car less
    Sorry in advance.

whoa. chill out. everybody.
    I think this weather is making people CRAZY.
    everyone gets all freaked out about bikes.
    Only boring people get bored.

Everybody To The Limit!
    Jan 2005
    I havn't had any knee problems from riding my SS. Now, my fixie onther hand.......

Recovering Weight Weenie
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected]
    is that even possible?

The old "SS is bad for your knees" thing just *isn't* true in mine, and lots of other peoples experience.

Infact I know one guy that was told to ride SS *TO* improve his knee strength.

Me? I just like riding bikes.
    True.
    There is a guy out here in Socal who, about a dozen years ago at about 60 years old, was slated for a knee replacement surgery. He was trying some different stuff to get his knee stronger, pulled down a bike out of the rafters, and began to ride. He asked the doc if it was ok. Doc said," well, it can't get worse!"
    True statement.
    It's about 12 years later and that man is 72 now and has completed the Vision Quest on a singlespeed, 2 years ago I think.
    Oh, yes. He never did have that knee-replacement surgery.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Nothing unusual here

3: Ride bars that fit
    2: Ride cranks that fit
    1: Ride a gear that fits

Lots of great riding and restaurants in Asheville, but that's not a rant.

mtbr member
    Sideways, no response needed to my post. I'm not down on alloy cogs or your website. I just thought turning the tables might help you see how ridiculous your post sounds. It's great that you have opinions, just don't tell me my way is stupid. It's all good.

Everybody To The Limit!
    Jan 2005
    Lots of great riding and restaurants in Asheville, but that's not a rant.
    Asheville does indeed RULE! I went on my virgin SS voyage in Pisgah.It was five days of heaven. I've been shiftless ever since! It's actually my fondest memory to date.
    Hope I'm still out there when I'm 72
    Last edited by DKFIX; 02-21-2005 at 03:05 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DKFIX
    Asheville does indeed RULE! I went on my virgin SS voyage in Pisgah.It was five days heaven. I've been shiftless ever since! It's actually my fondest memory to date.
    Hope I'm still out there when I'm 72
    I'll agree that Pisgah rocks!! Now I cam not sure about the SS bit there.

Cold. Blue. Steel.
    don't any of you know how to spell??
    it is "Stoopid" for crying out loud!

i just did a 5+ hour epic on my SS with 4 other good buddies (one other on a stoopid SS) on Saturday in the DuPont Nat'l Forest. wow- stoopid fun. thank goodness my stoopid knees are feeling good enough to do a stoopid epic ride in Pisgah this coming weekend. stoopid details to be announced... come on down and join us!! we are all stoopid! sing it with me!
    Spinning and Grinning...

I like Squishy Bikes

Dont forget

Red bikes are always faster than any other colored bike.
    I learned that here...its true.

I just think somebody is bored & must be Trolling

Hollis (has even kicked a 24" tire on an Endless @ Fred's bike shop)
    A dirty book is rarely dusty

mtbr member
    Some heavy moderating gone on in this post. Why?

mtbr member
    I agree. Kicking out a few replies here and there, unless they are downright offensive, is just silly.

Recovering Weight Weenie
    Quote Originally Posted by Go Kart Motzart
    I agree. Kicking out a few replies here and there, unless they are downright offensive, is just silly.
    Either mtbr want the mods to crack down more...or Cloxxi and Shiggy haven't been getting enough sleep....

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    I moved the "political" posts to the recycle board.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Recovering Weight Weenie
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    I moved the "political" posts to the recycle board.
    Probably a good idea since those posts just might be an.....
    Attached Images Attached Images

resident crackpot
    Quote Originally Posted by Padre
    Probably a good idea since those posts just might be an.....
    DAAAM!

Mashers Only!!
    Quote Originally Posted by scanjok
    Oh yes, I am stupid and have to shave my palms weekly.
    Do you go with the grain or against??

HUGH