Raleigh XXIX - Looking for something smaller...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Raleigh XXIX - Looking for something smaller...

I am 5 foot 8 inches (30 inch inseam) and 185 pounds on a good day.

I have been riding the Raleigh XXIX (Size 18" Meduim) for one year on singletrack in the Wasatch.

I recently brought an old girls diamond back beater back to life and have been loving it. I leave it in one gear and bump 2" off of every rock I can find.

The XXIX has it's own gravitational pull and it takes a lot of effort to get it airborne. I also feel like it doesn't like to fly level (I am sure it is pilot error, but it always seems to want to dip left or right).

Is the 18" frame too big?

Can I launch a 17" 29er or should I get into a 26er?

Should I put a 26er on the rear of the XXIX?

I think I want a steel 26er full rigid single speed (no tensioner - future fantasy includes fixie, probably until I try it) with disc brakes (hydro would be nice). I am cheap, cheap, cheap, so where can I get a used one of these? I paid $450 for the XXIX.

I guess I am looking for something that will take me back to kid bmx stuff on a technical singletrack...

*edit for pics
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by ritninja; 06-09-2009 at 11:31 AM.

Life is a 700c circle...
    Your the same height as me, I ride a 16" Karate Monkey 29er and it fits me great. Yes, I would say that with your inseam a smaller frame would fit you better and probably feel a bit more agile.

V-Shaped Rut
    Yeah, I'm 5'11" with a 32" inseam and I ride an 18" which fits me well. I also recently had a ride on a GF superfly (29er) 19" that fit very well. I'd say you probably want a smaller frame.

In general smaller tires are better for jumping. But that doesn't mean you can't jump on a 29er.

mtbr member
    Look for a used 26" bike with sliding drop outs or an ebb, then throw a 29" wheel in a short A-C fork (425 is good). All the benefits of the big wheel up front, none of the drawbacks of the big wheel in the back.

I bought a used on-one for $75 and ended up selling my Ti 29er since the 29er never got love the the 69er was the go to bike... it's fixed currently and it's a hoot!

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I ride a 18" XXIX and i am 5'9"-10" and feel very comfortable on it. I do notice that the front end feels loose in the dirt sometimes and i have always wondered if it was because i do not have enough weight over the front tire or the tires suck. Other than that, i feel right at home on it. After riding it a while though, im sure i could ride a 17 like a bat out of hell.

mtbr member
    I'm 5'7" and ride a small XXIX with a Thomson setback seatpost, I have a SASO carbon fork on it and it really smooths out the ride. The frame with Bontrager seat post,fork,and ti railed seat are for sale $250.00 .

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Thanks for the input.

I am going to test ride a 16" & 17" 29er and maybe a 26er today after work.

Fatbob - Very cool build; does she jump well? I might test the Trek 69er for some reference.

Diesel - My front end gets loose all the time. I thought it was air pressure related, but I definitely see your point on the weighting.

firefighterdirt - Why are you selling the frame?

mtbr member
    To put $ towards a RIP9 and turn my MCR9 into a SS.

SSolo, on your left!
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Norris_Hanna
    .... I would say that with your inseam a smaller frame would fit you better and probably feel a bit more agile.
    Yes from your info and the pics. Try to trade yours for a smaller size?

Quote Originally Posted by firefighterdirt
    I'm 5'7" and ride a small XXIX with a Thomson setback seatpost, I have a SASO carbon fork on it and it really smooths out the ride. The frame with Bontrager seat post,fork,and ti railed seat are for sale $250.00 .
    There you go! Now you can try both size frames, get some spare parts, and sell the one that you don't like as well.
    Get off the couch and ride!

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ritninja
    Thanks for the input.

I am going to test ride a 16" & 17" 29er and maybe a 26er today after work.

Fatbob - Very cool build; does she jump well? I might test the Trek 69er for some reference.

Diesel - My front end gets loose all the time. I thought it was air pressure related, but I definitely see your point on the weighting.

firefighterdirt - Why are you selling the frame?
    I moved the seat forward on the post a bit preride yesterday and noticed a bit of handling improvement. Maybe now I can put a bit of a longer stem on it and be able to control the front end alot better. The 07 XXIX came with the WTB exiwolfs right? should be decent in the turns. I think a smaller frame would be too small for me. Ont the 18, at the height of the BB there is about a foot between the tires. Seems a bit close but then againi have never looked at that on any other bike.

Birthday Collector
    Diesel, I really like the Exi on the rear, but had the same feeling of the front end not having the cornering grip that I wanted. Resolution Pro fixed that nicely. I would think that the new Eskar, Rampage, or about any other "knobbier" front tire might do that. Put your old front tire away and save it for when your rear wears out... Unless the stem is really the wrong length for you, I'd try a different tire first. Just my $.02
    R.I.P. Corky 10/97-4/09
    Disclaimer: I sell and repair bikes for a living

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Test rode a small frame XXIX. It was nicer but not nice enough. Not enough flickability.

http://saltlakecity.craigslist.org/bik/1197456525.html

I am looking at 26er singlespeeds. Thinking GT Peace and Monocog.

Any others at the entry $ level? Is there a Raleigh XXVI... hehehe...

My wife likes our Raleigh. She is taller and likes to roll - not jump. She says the 26er feels 'twitchy' to her now.

Until I throw a shoulder out I am looking full rigid. Anyone want to talk me into a shock or 29er in the front?

I am also thinking v brakes because they are lighter, simplier, and we live in a desert.

Thanx.

*edit for classified link.

Check it out - http://classifieds.mtbr.com/showprod...?product=36112
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by ritninja; 06-18-2009 at 12:35 PM.

Members who have read this thread: 0