Raleigh XXIX - EBB adjustment- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2008

Raleigh XXIX - EBB adjustment

Hello All,

Older mountain biker, turned road biker, turned rigid 29er convert, and I need some help. I picked up a steel Raleigh XXIX at a used sporting goods store for a couple hundred bucks. Had some better parts laying around, and it's shaping up well.

I've ready a little about EBB adjustments, but none that I've found mentioned exactly what I have. I see two allen heads on the drive side, but I've also got two allen heads on the bottom of the BB shell. I've got a little too much slack in the chain, and need to snug it up a bit.

Since I'm effectively an idiot on the EBB front, can someone who's got one of these spell it out for me?

Thanks very much.

mtbr member
    It's not in front of me so I can't be 100% sure but the two bottom bolts hold the eccentric bottom bracket shell (think of a cam) in place and the allen wrench holes on the side are for adjusting the position of the cam. If you loosen the bottom bolts, then you should be able to put a wrench in the holes in the side of the eccentric and adjust chain tension. Once the chain is snug (about 1/4" of wiggle) you tighten the bolts on the bottom and you should be done. It's pretty easy and you can flip the bike on it's back (make sure your computer, bell, light, etc. doesn't get squished) to do this. The chain is better off a little loose than too tight so be careful not to get it too tight or you can prematurely wear you drive train. Also make sure your BB is on the bottom of the eccentric since putting it at the top may lead to the whole unit creeping down towards the bottom over time. Hope this helps and if not let me know - I seem to be wrenching vicariously lately.
    BBI certified, 12+ years as mechanic

mtbr member
    pull a link from the chain.
    Creative Producer, Will of the Sun, Platform Pedal Shootout 1M+ views WoS

mtbr member
    Or you can see if a simple adjustment works first before potentially needing a new chain.
    BBI certified, 12+ years as mechanic

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Thanks for your help. I'll give it a try tonight. The cog is pretty worn, and needs to be replaced, so I may just wait until I change it out before I adjust.

Thanks again.

mtbr member
    Oh last but not least, as I thought it was quite logical and evident, ride the bike to your local bike shop and have the men/boys there take a look at it, it's a standard EBB single speed. If you're so inclined to appreciate their services, buy a chain or a cog from them. If you are in the bay area I can take a look at it as I used to own a Raleigh XXIX myself with a Phil Wood relieved body EBB.
    Creative Producer, Will of the Sun, Platform Pedal Shootout 1M+ views WoS

Members who have read this thread: 0