Raleigh M60 SS Beginner- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Raleigh M60 SS Beginner

Just starting out on my first SS venture. I just ordered a Marin Bobcat and I decided to convert my Raleigh M60 to single speed. Already ordered a new seat post and Sette Single Speed conversion kit. I didnt order the tensioner just yet but I like your guys DIY Tensioners so ill probably make my own if needed. The large center cog has been removed and the small one is still in place out of laziness. I have the N-Gear chain stop installed so I will not have to mess with the center cogs. I plan to order a rigid fork, brakes, and road tires at some point down the road. These are the before pics but I should have after pics this weekend. Any other suggestions?

Drinking the Slick_Juice
    You should get a new chain, SS specific cog ,and chain ring once you finalize the ratio your going to use. pull the crank and take off other rings (of course placing the new SS ring on before reinstall). if you are going to go Rigid , keep the Suspension for a while because you might someday want to take that puppy off road and some complain that there wrist hurt when they go rigid off road so alls im sayins is do not trash anything for a while
    "If women don't find handsome , they should at least find you handy."-Red Green

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    What kind of spacer will I need if I decide to get rid of the small chain ring? I dont have to take it off since I have the chain stop but id like to just get it all done right.

Drinking the Slick_Juice
    well you got the Forte Spacers correct? not much adjustment there im sure it will be closer if u mount a SS ring where the mid ring used to be, just remember to get one that fits your BCD. you should have gotten something like this :

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...speed+Kit.aspx

plenty of adjustment BTW the mid(middle) ring is the one behind the bashhgaurd just in case you are wondering
    "If women don't find handsome , they should at least find you handy."-Red Green

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Lose the tape on the chain stay. Once you go singlespeed, you will not need any kind of chain guard/protector.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Im going to make my own chain tensioner from the derailluer but I am not sure at what point to test the chain length. Do I put the tensioner on then get the chain to length?

I have this scrap piece of aluminum to use or the left over derailluer parts. I think I can get this worked out but what you guys think?
    Last edited by anthonygobot; 06-11-2010 at 06:45 PM.

Members who have read this thread: 0