Category Winner

Rake/geometry question

I am thinking about swapping forks. Would I notice a 7mm longer axle to crown with a change in rake from 43 to 45? I run a Karate Monkey fork on my 26" Dean and I am incredibly happy with the way the bike feels. The new fork is lighter and ti (did I mention sexy?).
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

I get paid 3 every time I post on MTBR.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

I'll be changing soon also

[QUOTE=teamdicky]I am thinking about swapping forks. Would I notice a 7mm longer axle to crown with a change in rake from 43 to 45? I run a Karate Monkey fork on my 26" Dean and I am incredibly happy with the way the bike feels. The new fork is lighter and ti (did I mention sexy?).[hear/QUOTE]
    I'm not really sure how much it will change the ride. I have heard that a change of 1"(25.4 MM) in axle to crown height will change your HT angle by about 1 degree. Since you are only changing 7mm I don't think it should be that big of a deal. Not sure what the difference in rake will change.
    I am putting together a 17" monocog aluminum and the Kona fork that will be going on it will be 420mm, compared to 435mm on my 19" steel monocog which it will be replacing. I still need to get some parts (avid brakes, seat post)and finish my 2 tone paint job , Dark gun metal gray metalic, and some other color to be determained, Yellow, blue, green, or white, not sure yet. I guess I will be steering a bit quicker w/ 15mm less axle to crown height. I'm changing to the 17" cause I want more standover and the aluminum frame was cheap and has disc mounts.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

fork change

Doublt you'll notice the 7mm difference at all. It will make less than a .25 degree change in head angle etc. Kind of the difference between soft and fully inflated tires. Or the difference between runing a 2.1 and a 2.3 tire. Not a big deal.

The 43 to 45mm rake change will quicken the steering just a tad. You may or may not notice it. It should be pretty subtle.

You adapt within a ride and forget anything ever changed in no time.