racing ss- open class??- Mtbr.com
    ss poser

racing ss- open class??

are all races open class for ss? by that i mean, do they always group beginners w/experts & pros, or do some big races actually separate them into their own classes?
    can i get some pixie dust w/my gu, please?

Got Mojo?
    Quote Originally Posted by tink bell
    are all races open class for ss? by that i mean, do they always group beginners w/experts & pros, or do some big races actually separate them into their own classes?

The NORBA SS class is open.
    Here in Texas (including the two Texas NORBA races in '04 and '05) SS is not separated.
    aLaN AT BikeMojo DOT com

Mmmmmm Beer!
    Wow! Your gona be a racer girl now. I have no chance when I start riding again.
    You wouldn't be in so much pain if you didn't ride like a dork!

mtbr member
    Tink,
    Most all the ss races will be open. The only race I know that has both Beginner/Sport and Open/Pro divisions for singlespeeders is Sea Otter. And that is for the girlies too!!!
    Always preach the Gospel; even if you need to use words.

ss poser

<whine>

guess i won't be doing anymore races!! i got my ass kicked by a pro on sunday!! tks for the responses!

graps the nettle
    Aug 2005

just suck it up and race...

guess i won't be doing anymore races!! i got my ass kicked by a pro on sunday!! tks for the responses!
    part of racing is learning how to get beat like a rented mule. it builds character.

if you're concerned about fast one speeers, and haven't raced before, then just enter the beginner class on your one speed. you'll probably go just as fast, if not faster, as you would if you had gears on. show up, line up, throw down, and see how you feel afterwards.

THEN decide if you want to be racing. there will always be someone faster than you, though. unless your real name is gunn-rita.

Bored Carp

Until you recruit 100 of your closest, slowest girlfriends...

...for any type of women's bike racing event, you are going to have to get used to racing with the big girls and getting thrashed. You will learn a lot more from pros than beginners anyway. Suck it up.

Chuky
    I only attempt to change the world in the appropriate World-Changing venues and forums.

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton

Really?

...are you trying to say you went to a bike race and there was a professional cyclist there who was faster than you?

Be thankful that you didn't have to put in the years of training and racing to earn the dubious honor of getting schooled by an elite athlete. For many, getting worked by pros is just an unavoidable weekly ritual. You had the honor at your first race!

Most importantly, did you have fun?

JMH

Got Mojo?

you go girl.

racing and finishing in SS is were it is at. As some of the others have said there will always be someone faster.

But I bet you would be the hit of the race if you did line up with the guys. You cannot lose, even if you finish last you would win. You would have the (err... for lack of a better term) balls race a race that many others shy from.

The suggestion to race your SS against your beginner or sport class is a good one also, but the real fun is in SS class.
    aLaN AT BikeMojo DOT com

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

wisconsin

the popular WORS series in wisconsin has two ability classes for males in SS. "sport" and "comp" ( a step betwen elite and sport ). females have one class, which races with the sport field. in most cases, the SS classes are the fastest classes overall compared with AG's in the sport field . . . most of the SSers would tend to do pretty well as age group racers, by and large. more than a few simply race their SS's in whatever age/ability class they would be in ona geared bike, as well.

Recovering Weight Weenie
    Tink, I suggest racing your SS in the beg/sport geared class.

It's fun, competitive, and you might even get some fun attention from folks saying "you can't race that!"

This is what Leslie did for many races.

Hairshirt Rider
    If it makes you feel any better, one of the pro ladies schooled most all of the SS boys and girls at the Laramie Enduro this past summer.

Why not take your ride to the appropriate class with the gearies?

Ride Bikes, Drink Beer

Ha Ha Ha

part of racing is learning how to get beat like a rented mule. it builds character.
    Hilarious!!!

Can I borrow that?

Bored Carp

Gotta add one more thing...

One of the benefits of the smaller fields in women's racing is that you get to participate in events with some incredible athletes, despite your lack of experience. While I could never hold a candle to her, I will always be glad that I got to race with Jeannie Longo a few times (and with numerous other Olympians, World and National Champions).

There aren't many sports where you get the opportunity to interact and learn from the world's best while still at the beginner level - treasure it and pay attention (especially since you are in Socal, where many world-class cyclists come to train).

Chuky
    I only attempt to change the world in the appropriate World-Changing venues and forums.

pewpewpew Moderator

It's not so bad being last! There are actually some benefits...
    1) everyone is so far ahead that your trails are wide open with NO bottlenecking!
    2) the photographer gets a nice clear shot of just YOU
    3) stragglers from the previous classes are fun to chat with
    4) since it's not age stratified, you can blame everything on "those damn young sandbaggers"

Just do it!

Category Winner
    I don't mind SS open classes. The "class system" seems so arbitrary when it is based on a rider's judgement of their own fitness/skill level. I race SS class if it is offered, or I get smoked in the expert class. Either way it's just paying for a dogfight in the woods. Yummy.
    That said, race in the class that provides you the experience you are looking (and paid) for.
    Last edited by teamdicky; 02-02-2006 at 01:22 PM.
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

I get paid 3 every time I post on MTBR.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Padre
    Tink, I suggest racing your SS in the beg/sport geared class.

It's fun, competitive, and you might even get some fun attention from folks saying "you can't race that!"

This is what Leslie did for many races.
    Tink is being modest...she hammered! Yes, there was a Pro racer in her class that turned two fast laps (faster then most of the men too), but despite that, Tink hammered the course and I believe would have schooled the geared woman class!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeMojo
    The NORBA SS class is open.
    Here in Texas (including the two Texas NORBA races in '04 and '05) SS is not separated.
    how large a showing is there typically in the SS classes in the Texas races?

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    i raced a season on my SS back east, just in the regular sport class. firmly entrenched in the middle of sport class, that is. no problems doing it. i beat some geared and SS folks, and got beat by them just as much. i enjoyed racing against everyone, not just some arbitrary class setup just for SS riders.

enter, race, enjoy. oh, and kick some ass.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Burdman
    Tink is being modest...she hammered! Yes, there was a Pro racer in her class that turned two fast laps (faster then most of the men too), but despite that, Tink hammered the course and I believe would have schooled the geared woman class!
    Last edited by Burdman; 02-02-2006 at 06:03 PM.

Got Mojo?
    Quote Originally Posted by somms
    There is usually about ten in any given group. About a half dozen regulars and a few newbies/locals at each race.
    aLaN AT BikeMojo DOT com

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

The suggestion of racing in beginner or Sport is a

good one. Although out here in the NW we get around 15 to 20 Single Speed racers every race. Our first race a young lady showed up and they made her race with the boys. Well she got her ass kicked but was not happy with it. So she kept showing up and eventually she started beating the guys or some of them and for her that was a huge accomplishment and plus she was getting the rockstar award from all of the guys for not going and racing in the ladies class and suckin it up and getting faster to beat the boys. I say just race and have fun and come up with your goals for each race. We all get our butts handed to us by Pros.

Retro Grouch

What are you talking about?

You entered a race, you were racing against at least one pro and you didn't win. Now you don't want to race anymore?? I have raced for years, I have never won and I look forward to every race I ride. Racing is a HOOT! There I said it; it's all about numbers and fellow racers and funny things that happen; it's about the ride. BTW, which position did you place? In the last Sea Otter I think I came in 3rd to last. Now I am 50, so I'm hoping they will age class the next SS race, but I'm not holding my breath and will race regardless. Do it for the ride and some day the podium may come. If not, you'll still have a fun day on your bike (as if there is something else). Tink, have some fun and show off for your honey

1G1G, Brad
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by aka brad; 02-03-2006 at 08:17 PM.

RJG
    mtbr member
    It's really not that bad. I have done one race in SS beginner/sport class on a full rigid converted bike. I came in dead last, 10 out of 10, the race was still fun. Also if you are intimidated, just compare your finish time with the people in the beginner class or whatever class you would have raced in. I bet you would suprised where you fit with the gearies. I equate it to getting an "F" in school. The first time you get an "F" you're like wow, that sucks and is embarrassing. The rest of the 'F's" you get seem to be no big deal after the first one.
    R

Got Mojo?
    Quote Originally Posted by somms

Texas season opener today..... 19 racers looks like it will be a busy season.
    aLaN AT BikeMojo DOT com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeMojo
    Texas season opener today..... 19 racers looks like it will be a busy season.

it might have been 20, but I slept too late.

ss poser
    i'm not complaining about having 'my ass handed to me by a pro.' what i don't think is fair is that b/c ss are the minority, they lump us all together, while the others get broken down by experience & age. that doesn't do well for the beginner ss'ers racing morale. i never said i didn't want to race again. i just said i wouldn't be racing ss class. i like the idea of racing my ss in the beginner geared class, though. i think i could hold my own there.

there was just me & the pro in our ss class, she was older (commented on in earlier post). there was only one gerl i would have race against in the beginner class. she finished 6 minutes ahead of me. of course i did have 4 crashes & she none. since she's a friend of mine, i happen to know we are roughly the same pace. i think i wouldn't have been that far behind her had i not gone down so many times! what can i say? i'm clumsy!

oh, btw, i dnf'ed. i only did 1 lap (as did the beginner class), but was supposed to do 2. after so many crashes, i didn't have it in me to keep going.

tks for the words of encouragement from those that gave it. maybe i will go back out there on my ss & see how i fair against the beginner gearies.

Bored Carp

A race with only 2 people isn't really a race anyway.

At that point you are just riding to see how well you can ride.

Women's racing is really hurt by NOT lumping classes together. Small fields mean that promoters stop putting on races because they don't make money. With fields the size you describe, they ought to put all the women into one class no matter what the experience level or you will eventually lose the races altogether.

Being bummed out about racing with women faster than you is a waste of time. Technically you were second, right? Why don't you think of it as your first podium place instead of your first last place? They are both as meaningful in a race that tiny.

Chuky

Members who have read this thread: 0