Raceface single chainrings - any input?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Raceface single chainrings - any input?

Tried searching, but didn't come up with much.

I'm interested in knowing if anyone has any experience with Raceface's single, non-ramped chainrings and would be so kind to share what they know please. I would like to take advantage of a deal opportunity to replace my "standard" RF ring with something more appropriate (okay, the anodized versions look cool, too). Going to pair it with a Surly ss cog out back.

If anyone has any input i'd appreciate hearing it please.

Thanks.
    I ..... need ..... DIRT!!!!!

... and cookies. :D

nothing to see here
    I don't have one, but what are your concerns?
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

mtbr member
    Well, i'm not sure that I really have any one concern in mind in particular, so much as it's a case where i'm wondering if there is anything(s) to be concerned about.

If there's something problematic, or a trait that may point out a "weakness" (ie, short life span, out of round - maybe just an early batch - or breaking teeth etc) i'd like to know about it to decide if I buy one or not.

I'm a big believer in Raceface products, have been for a long time, and i'm sure I won't be disappointed, but i'm slowly starting to grow old of the "it doesn't work that great, money wasted ... again" situation. The Fox fork I just bought, and was sorely disappointed by, was the straw that broke the camel's back. The is the "next purchase" - don't wanna **** around.

(i'm sick - i'm not even stoked by the possibility of *gasp* getting a red one! - lol)

Anyway, so yeah, that's what i'm after.

Mtbr Forum Sponsor - Homebrewed Components
    Jul 2006
    never heard of any issues, but with anything, you can get a good one and a bad one. Just depends on who was running the machine that day.
    As for teeth breaking, if it's 7075 grade aluminum, you wont break them any more than any of the other 7075 rings out there. Although, i do think that chainrings made out of rolled sheet instead of extruded round stock would be a bit stronger, due to the potential porosity of extruded material.

mtbr member

Raceface SS Chainrings work just fine

I ride with 2008 model year Raceface Evolve XC cranks and used the original chainring and then replaced it with another. I am due for a new one again and I think I'll go for Raceface in one of those purdy colors.

Mtbr Forum Sponsor - Homebrewed Components
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by doug1
    I ride with 2008 model year Raceface Evolve XC cranks and used the original chainring and then replaced it with another. I am due for a new one again and I think I'll go for Raceface in one of those purdy colors.
    i love how i started making anodized chainrings in a bunch of colors a couple years ago, and now everyone's jumping on the bandwagon. I guess imitation is the best form of flattery

I guess it's nothing new, it just died out for a decade or two, and now it's coming back.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    pimpin' yo' ride never stopped... but spray bombing DIY was the order of the day instead of anodizing!
    If steel is real then aluminium is supercallafragiliniun!

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I run a 1 x 10 and have 32 raceface non ramped ring. I'm about 250 miles in and no problems so far. No abnormal wear at all. They are pretty cheap as well. My only problem is they are one sided. They can't be flipped once wore down. Not a big deal though. You won't be disappointed.
    Last edited by dhalsey; 12-12-2010 at 12:02 AM.

mtbr member
    Great! Thanks for all the input everyone. I'll put in my order this week.

Members who have read this thread: 0