Raced my gearie on Thurs...- Mtbr.com
    Pull my finger...
    Jan 2004

Raced my gearie on Thurs...

A couple of weeks ago the local ski 'hill' opened up their mtn biking season. First race was on May 6th and I took my singlespeed. Thankfully the race was cancelled before anyone finished (lightning) because I was suffering. Way too many steep hills right after the other had me walking up almost all of them on the second lap.

Fast forward to last Thurs - I dust off the Trek 8000 gearie and raced again with the thoughts I'd be competitive this time around. Although I did pretty good (2nd out of 11, Sport class, 30 years old and up) I HATED the gearie! I also hated the squish on the front end. Distracting to friggin climb with it pogo'ing all over the place.

I think I've been spoiled with the rigid front and no gears since I got my Solo One last summer. Having said that, the 22x32 granny gear on the climbs saved my bacon! So what do you guys do in a situation like this where the hills are just too much for a SS? I'm thinking of really gearing down but that will just make me spin out everywhere else. Is there just some trails that a SS really isn't suited for?

DobeManSS

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by DobeManSS
    So what do you guys do in a situation like this where the hills are just too much for a SS? I'm thinking of really gearing down but that will just make me spin out everywhere else. Is there just some trails that a SS really isn't suited for?
    This isn't racing, but take what you want from my recent experience... I built up a commuter bike and started riding to work earlier this spring. I really liked the idea of having it SS, for all the reasons we know and love, but also found that the hills on my route would not make that practical. So, I did the next simplest thing I could with the parts on hand... I set it up 1x8 with a barcon shifter (it's a cross/touring bike). I ride predominantly in one or two middle gears, and when I get to the hilly section of my ride, I can drop to a lower gear. I don't have to deal with a front derailleur, and am actually using a shi_mano front microfriction shifter, so I don't have to fuss with adjusting the cable for indexing either. Some might say it's a cop-out to put gears back on, but I think there are some cases when a SS just can't cut it, and at least this way, I still don't have a "standard" drivetrain.