race xc on ss?- Mtbr.com

Thread: race xc on ss?

mtbr member

race xc on ss?

just wondering if anyone races xc with a ss, and what kind of results you get. i think once the fitness comes back and a new wheelset graces my ss i might race ss in expert xc class. please no trolling an honest opinion would be nice.
    Ride & Smile

is buachail foighneach me
    Lot's of people race and finish well in local and occasionally regional xc events in the expert and even semi-pro class on ss bikes. National level, it's rare to see one in the top 5, and I don't think ever in the national level pro class.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009

ss

Look in to the wors race series the top few pros race ss only and there are usually large groups in the lower rankings who do also. I race ss only and was always a top 10 finisher in the sport category now i will be racing expert this year so we will se how the results go. I look at ss to be an advantage not a dissadvantage as long as you are geared properly.

CB2
    Jam Econo
    I did well racing Cat1 on the SS. We have a Cat1 SS class, but I raced my age group for larger more competitive fields.
    We have a number of regional pros who do pretty well too.

local trails rider
    I don't race.

... but apparently the course makes a difference, too, in how well you'll do. SS should be good if the course consists of constant ups and downs. Flat ground tends to give gearies a speed advantage.

master blaster
    i race cat 2 ss and usually place second or third to last.
    i also race my ss in cat 3 19-24 and usually get around the same place.
    smaller races i end up first or second anyway as theres usually only two or three people in either of my catagories.
    i go back and forth on racing cat 2 ss and my age group.
    Quote Originally Posted by ISuckAtRiding View Post
    The dude is like 120lbs, tops lol he can run any tires he wants without issues, i'm sure.

Mtbr Forum Sponsor - Homebrewed Components
    Jul 2006
    i used to race expert (now called cat1) and we were about on par with the top geared experts and alot of the semi pros. I ended up as California state champion. I moved up a class after that, but my favorite course got burned up and the state series kinda sucked without it and never got back out there. Now the course is back and i'm hoping to start racing again, but probably back in CAT1 instead of pro. I dont have the time for that kind of commitment.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    ive always thought i was quicker on ss but on my last race ,well my first proper mtb race i lost alot of time on a section of fire road that was flat the slightly down and i blamed this section for the loss of 5/10 places,

but the guy who came second and was on ss to,

so he was fitter and stronger but what kinda training can i do to work on the sections when i spin out

nothing to see here
    Train in a higher gear, so you'll get stronger for the climbs, and not loose so much on the flats. Practice your long climbs seated if you can. I've just started doing this and can feel the extra work on the quads.
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

Mtbr Forum Sponsor - Homebrewed Components
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevob
    Train in a higher gear, so you'll get stronger for the climbs, and not loose so much on the flats. Practice your long climbs seated if you can. I've just started doing this and can feel the extra work on the quads.
    Very true about staying seated, i was nearly to the point to where i could ride even the really steep stuff in the saddle. You can spin a whole lot faster and smoother in saddle, it's just more efficient. However, i did feel a strange uncomfort in my knees after a while, so i began to mix it up a little. Also, i discovered that by riding in the saddle too much, i began loosing my "out of saddle" muscles, and i really blew it on a super steep race course because of it.
    I actually trained on my geared bike for the later part of the year, and it helped alot. I pushed the biggest gear i could at all times, never going easer than a 32-18. I'd only ride the SS on fun rides, or training rides at least once a week so i could maintain my high rpm spin.

Teen Wolf
    i do.

Members who have read this thread: 0