Thread: Race my SS

GDS
    mtbr member
    Jan 2008

Race my SS

I just got my first SS MTB. I want to race it this summer in a short distance race (10miles). Has anyone raced a SS or am I just crazy? What gearing would you recommend?

fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    yes...you are crazy....now go take your meds...

kiddin'.....race like you stole it!......easier gear if it's hilly....harder gear if it's flat....it's hilly where i am so i push a 34X18...but i'm a wimp
    Click Here for Forum Rules

GDS
    mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I will take my meds!

It wont be to hilly. By no means would I win the race on a geared bike so I don't care If I finish last.

And yes I did steal it

Got Mojo?
    Quote Originally Posted by GDS
    I don't care If I finish last.
    You have already "won".

Hopefully you will find that the SS racers is a good group of guys/gals.

What I learned when I started racing SS is that most could whip up on the gearies, and some even do on their SS. They race for good reasons, they enjoy the race, and don't get too serious about it. Hell, at my first 'real' SS race, it was unsanctioned (at a sanctioned event). We had to supply our own prizes.... it was a case of beer. The gearies got ribbons.

Also you will find that your HR is pegged at 110%....

Good luck and have fun.

More important, what are you going to wear? Got any special 'racing' outfits?
    aLaN AT BikeMojo DOT com

GDS
    mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Thanks
    After looking at more threads I realized that a lot of people race SS. Guess i should have looked around first.

CB2
    Jam Econo
    The National Masters 35-39 champ won it on a SS.
    I'd race my SS against the gearies except we have dedicated SS categories. The SS riders seem to have a much cooler attitude than some of the gearies; they are racing for fun not some machismo, I'll beat you to 32nd place at all costs, fist fighting, rock-head mentality.

EXORCIZE
    Quote Originally Posted by GDS
    I just got my first SS MTB. I want to race it this summer in a short distance race (10miles). Has anyone raced a SS or am I just crazy? What gearing would you recommend?
    I've run the gear in which I could stand and mash the toughest hill and not be completely fried for the rest. I also made sure I could sit and spin up the long mild hills at a fast but doable pace. This varies depending on the race course.

What bike did you pick up?
    2017 Diamondback Haanjo
    2016 Pivot 429T
    2011 Kona Unit

GDS
    mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    08 GF Rig. Stock as of now but will make some changes. Any suggestion?

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    SS's definately have their place in XC racing. In fact now a days it's not uncommon to find SSs at the top. I raced the Cheq 40 up in Hayward/Cable Wisconsin this past fall. The race has 1700 entries. It's a really fast course with fireroads, a small road section, and lots of rolling hills. I raced it on a geared bike and was all over the drive train the entire race going up and down hills. Previous winners of the event include 3X Tour de France Greg LeMond. This past year first and fourth overall were guys on rigid SS's.

Now don't expect that the single speed will give you an advantage, but know that there is potential to be competative. Remember, bikes don't win races, racers do!

mtbr member
    In a shorter race I usually choose my SS, of the 4 races I won last year 3 were on a singlespeed and all 3 were MTB time trials of less than an hour each. the SS will make you push yourself to places you might not go with a geared bike. If it's your first SS put a big gear on it and go start building those legs up........

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Start at a 2 to1 gear ratio and go up or down from there it worked for me now i'm a lazy
    32 18 but I make up for it in beer, so it all balences out right? Definitely race. Its alot of fun.

local trails rider
    If I can SS with gearies on easy 30 mile group rides, you can certainly finish a 10 mile race.

(I suppose I could too, but never really felt the urge to race)

What, who, me?
    Jul 2006
    Rock on like Donkey Kong! I made the switch and races i used to use my geared bike in i can now podium on my SS. Just get out and RIDE! that's the best advice i can give you. Where i used to try and ride 32x16 on flats, i can ride 32x14 and want to push it to 13. You will amaze yourself at how much of a better rider you will become, and your friends will look at you different. Cheers!
    Mike
    SKA Racing, beer and bikes. What more could you ask for?

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Dumb question, are there any unwritten rules about beginners racing on single speeds? It will be my first season coming up and I really want to race beginner on my single speed. I could always add gears if I needed but I would much rather just hammer it out for an hour.

is buachail foighneach me
    it's all just ability level based. beginner, sport, whatever. if you like riding ss, and you like racing, you'll probably like racing ss. beginner class might actually be one where a ss would have an advantage. i know when i raced beginner i didn't exactly have shifting or bike maintenance figured out. not even close. so chances are at least half the field will be bumbling with their gear changes while you just pedal.

EXORCIZE
    Quote Originally Posted by 88 rex
    Dumb question, are there any unwritten rules about beginners racing on single speeds? It will be my first season coming up and I really want to race beginner on my single speed. I could always add gears if I needed but I would much rather just hammer it out for an hour.
    No unwritten rules that I know of, except to be polite and move aside when geared folks announce they want to pass on fast flats/downhills. Some races split the SSers between novice and expert, so novice SS might be cool for you, especially if they get their own start time (starting with 50 beginners is annoying - doing it on a SS can be worse).

I'd also suggest studying the race course and "strategize" - if there's tons of climbing to start, you could make sure to get to the front of the Beginner line, then blast the climbs and take a huge lead while everyone else is just getting settled in and getting slowed down by packs.
    2017 Diamondback Haanjo
    2016 Pivot 429T
    2011 Kona Unit

Got Mojo?
    Quote Originally Posted by ridindog
    Start at a 2 to1 gear ratio and go up or down from there it worked for me now i'm a lazy
    32 18 but I make up for it in beer, so it all balences out right? Definitely race. Its alot of fun.
    hehehe

You are making me feel better about my going from 2:1 to 32:17.

aLaN AT BikeMojo DOT com

Members who have read this thread: 0