Race Face Deus?- Mtbr.com

Thread: Race Face Deus?

mtbr member
    Oct 2006

Race Face Deus?

I can't seem to find any descent feedback on the Race Face Deus SS crankset. I am trying to find a good, stiff, quasi lightweight crankset. External bottom bracket and black finish option are preferred. Right now I am eying XTR($$$), Noir($$), Stylo($/2), and Deus($). I know the first three options are good but nobody is talking about the Race Face crank. So how are they?
    Last edited by JDG1317; 03-23-2010 at 06:40 PM.

mtbr member
    I've ran the Deus for a few years, firstly on a Dekerf SS, it was a standard crankset which I ran with a Boone 32T ring, I had been running this crankset on a geared AM bike and it was great, very stiff, good BB, no problems at all.

This time round I'm running one of their SS cranksets with the Bashguard on my Hooligan and again I'm impressed, I think they are one of the nicest and most reliable cranks on the market.

If there's anything specific you want to know just ask...

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I like RaceFace cranks.
    In general, they are great cranks for the money.
    However, there are two minor issues I have noticed:
    1. There is no bearing preload adjustability. This makes the cranks that much more maintenance free (only one massive bolt to install) but if there are any issues with the bearings binding up then you are pretty much screwed. This hasn't been a problem on 3 out of the 4 bikes I had, but when I tried to use Chris King bearings on one of them, I couldn't get the cranks to spin smoothly. I ended up switching that bike to Surly cranks.
    2. RaceFace bearings don't like wet conditions. If you ride in the rain much, they will probably seize up and eventually self-destruct. I recommend swapping out to Shimano bearings once the RaceFace bearings are toast.

Off the back...
    +1 on the bearings in the BB not being as good as the rest of the product. Other than that, they're a nice crankset.
    @pinkrobeyyc
    #pinkrobeyyc

mtbr member
    Living in the wild wet of the UK and I've never had a problem with the bearings to be honest...

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Thanks for the responses.

I tend to service bottom bracket bearings pretty often and have been running a Truvativ GXP bottom bracket for 3+ years(which a lot of people say are also lousy) without any issues at all.

So I am either going to get another Stylo crank or this one at this point. Decisions decisions....

mtbr member
    I had a set of 09 Deus cranks on my geared HT. I hated these cranks. The crank bolt would never stay tight. It would back out all the time. This quickly damaged the splines on the crankarm, causing a creak that will never go away.
    The middle chainring (geared bike) broke during the first race on them.
    I also had RF cranks on my FS AM rig. The chainrings would never last most than a couple months. BBs are junk too.
    I will never buy RF cranks again.
    Its all Shits and Giggles until somebody Giggles and Shits

Single Speed Junkie
    I've run RF cranks since I started riding well over a deacade ago. The newer model of Deus cranks I feel are improved over previous generations. I'm not sure when the change happened, but there is an issue with the crank arm working its way loose regardless how tight the bolt gets. RF confirmed this as well.

If your getting a new gen set of cranks from RF then sure they are a good deal. Also consider the 15G cranks even though I have no association with the Hive their engineering looks sound.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by crux
    I've run RF cranks since I started riding well over a deacade ago. The newer model of Deus cranks I feel are improved over previous generations. I'm not sure when the change happened, but there is an issue with the crank arm working its way loose regardless how tight the bolt gets. RF confirmed this as well.

If your getting a new gen set of cranks from RF then sure they are a good deal. Also consider the 15G cranks even though I have no association with the Hive their engineering looks sound.
    I was not aware of the 15G cranks. Too bad the RF cranks are already on the way to me because they do look like a nice product. It's all good though. I think I'll be happy with the RF cranks.

mtbr member
    I think you will be too!

Members who have read this thread: 0